Term time holidays

(31 Posts)
Qabroad Thu 07-Nov-13 10:22:04

My children live in UK & I live and work abroad. This year the children go back to school on Thursday 2nd January after Xmas and I was hoping they could come and see me from Saturday 28th December till Saturday 4th January, which is the only realistic time when travel arrangements can be made.

I asked the school for permission for the children to take 2 days off for this, and asked their Mother if this was OK.

Firstly their Mother said they couldn't, which didn't come as a great surprise (not because of school though).

Next I get an email from school saying my request for a 'family holiday' had been refused.

Seems absolutely ridiculous to me. Surely it's hardly unreasonable for kids to see their Dad at that time of year. Sad:

notthefirstagainstthewall Thu 07-Nov-13 21:05:18

Actually this is probably "an exceptional circumstance". Wouldn't most heads allow children to visit parents if they live abroad - it's is a circumstance rather than a holiday?
If their mother isn't keen though then it doesn't matter anyway though.

Mylovelyboy Thu 07-Nov-13 20:39:00

Yeah where are you Op. Mind you if he lives abroad might be different time zone. NewNameforNewterm - You prob right on that one. Come on OP we want your views. Sick of typing to myself.

Mim78 Thu 07-Nov-13 20:36:03

Where had the OP gone? Not much point everyone trying to answer his question when he's not taking part in the thread!

NewNameforNewTerm Thu 07-Nov-13 20:29:09

If the mother doesn't want them to miss school and the father does it puts the school in a really difficult position. Regardless of the regulations it leaves school piggy in the middle between two disagreeing parents. Not surprising they've shown no flexibility.

Mylovelyboy Thu 07-Nov-13 20:24:29

Fairenuff - your right

theoriginalandbestrookie Thu 07-Nov-13 20:14:41

It's a real shame that they go back to school so early.

Normally I don't agree with term time holidays, but think that a little common sense should surely be applied i.e. 1-2 days at the start or end of term are not the end of the world, but if you can't get their DM to agree to it, you are fighting a losing battle.

Fairenuff Thu 07-Nov-13 20:07:33

The question about the school is irrelevant, surely, if their mother won't let them go confused

lljkk Thu 07-Nov-13 20:07:00

It makes my blood boil the govt dictates this.

Mylovelyboy Thu 07-Nov-13 20:00:35

Gordy if you read the thread, it is the mum stopping it

Mylovelyboy Thu 07-Nov-13 19:58:31

Gordy I see your point. I did not realise this new legislation came in over the summer. So all they have to do is phone the school when the time comes and say they dont feel well. Its no big deal really.

Mylovelyboy Thu 07-Nov-13 19:54:25

OP needs the mother on side, might be difficult by the sound of it. Its really ridiculous over two bloody days. If you do get the mother on side then just phone in sick. Dont worry about the fact you asked for those days holiday. Let them prove the kids were not ill. I think this has been been made a big issue by the mother and school when really there is no issue there. Life if too short to worry about 2 poxy days out of school

gordyslovesheep Thu 07-Nov-13 19:52:34

Mylovleyboy is wrong - new legislation that came in during the the summer means it is NOT the schools decision - it is not allowed - if the school grants it they have to show exceptional circumstances - like death ! so a half day for a funeral is just about okay

it's not the mum or the school stopping it - it's the Government who brought in the new legislation and fines system

Oblomov Thu 07-Nov-13 19:51:47

I would just do it. And pay the fine.

wowfudge Thu 07-Nov-13 19:48:54

I don't understand why you can't visit them or change the dates to fit in with school. Or why parents can't fit their holidays into school holidays TBH. Teachers can't go on holiday in term time and very many of them have children of their own.

lifeinthefastlane1 Thu 07-Nov-13 19:47:00

just means they will have 2 unauthorised days on there attendance record.

lifeinthefastlane1 Thu 07-Nov-13 19:45:10

you only get fined if its more than 4 days....10 x unauthorised absences 2 per day.

lborolass Thu 07-Nov-13 19:26:53

You've been caught by the "new" rules. Whatever the childrens mother thinks the school can't authorise holiday leave any more.

meditrina Thu 07-Nov-13 19:24:25

As far as the school is concerned, you could just miss it, and pay the fine if one is raised (and be nice and ay EW's fine too, as it can be levied against both parents).

But I think you have a greater problem as the RP has not consented, and in a worse case could seek to prohibit their travel. Would you be able to come and see them here?

ThePinkOcelot Thu 07-Nov-13 19:21:12

Just do it. Its only 2 days not 2 weeks. Its bloody pathetic.

HRHLadyG Thu 07-Nov-13 19:20:21

A) Make sure they are back in time for school.

B) Visit them here?

You seem to be questioning the term 'family holiday', but that it is what it is.

livinginwonderland Thu 07-Nov-13 19:18:29

Come to the UK and see them here.

Why can't you just see them for a shorter time or move it to within the school holiday confused

Mylovelyboy Thu 07-Nov-13 19:11:13

Merguez - I agree with you. Its a non issue. Its the mother that might stop it though. Dont worry about the school. You will not get a fine for two days off. Really hope you get to see your kids smile

Merguez Thu 07-Nov-13 19:05:16

Just do it and pay the fine.

Mylovelyboy Thu 07-Nov-13 19:03:13

I think its bloody ridiculous. What is wrong with 2 days. Its hardly going to affect their education. Its a shame you are up against the mother and the school. If you could try and explain and persuade the mother and tell her how important this is to you then you will be ok. With regard to the school I would have left mentioning it to them until the last moment and if the mother agreed then they could have had a sicky from school. Its only two days. I know loads of people who take their kids out for one weeks holiday. Its not instant fine, its the decision of the school at the end of the day. I did phone Education Authority and they confirmed this. In this instance you live abroad so exceptions should be made. Your kids are only young once. All the best.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now