Term time holidays

(31 Posts)
Qabroad Thu 07-Nov-13 10:22:04

My children live in UK & I live and work abroad. This year the children go back to school on Thursday 2nd January after Xmas and I was hoping they could come and see me from Saturday 28th December till Saturday 4th January, which is the only realistic time when travel arrangements can be made.

I asked the school for permission for the children to take 2 days off for this, and asked their Mother if this was OK.

Firstly their Mother said they couldn't, which didn't come as a great surprise (not because of school though).

Next I get an email from school saying my request for a 'family holiday' had been refused.

Seems absolutely ridiculous to me. Surely it's hardly unreasonable for kids to see their Dad at that time of year. Sad:

theoriginalandbestrookie Thu 07-Nov-13 20:14:41

It's a real shame that they go back to school so early.

Normally I don't agree with term time holidays, but think that a little common sense should surely be applied i.e. 1-2 days at the start or end of term are not the end of the world, but if you can't get their DM to agree to it, you are fighting a losing battle.

Mylovelyboy Thu 07-Nov-13 20:24:29

Fairenuff - your right

NewNameforNewTerm Thu 07-Nov-13 20:29:09

If the mother doesn't want them to miss school and the father does it puts the school in a really difficult position. Regardless of the regulations it leaves school piggy in the middle between two disagreeing parents. Not surprising they've shown no flexibility.

Mim78 Thu 07-Nov-13 20:36:03

Where had the OP gone? Not much point everyone trying to answer his question when he's not taking part in the thread!

Mylovelyboy Thu 07-Nov-13 20:39:00

Yeah where are you Op. Mind you if he lives abroad might be different time zone. NewNameforNewterm - You prob right on that one. Come on OP we want your views. Sick of typing to myself.

notthefirstagainstthewall Thu 07-Nov-13 21:05:18

Actually this is probably "an exceptional circumstance". Wouldn't most heads allow children to visit parents if they live abroad - it's is a circumstance rather than a holiday?
If their mother isn't keen though then it doesn't matter anyway though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now