To still be cross this morning about the load of cock rot advert from Boots I saw

(76 Posts)
Lililly Thu 07-Nov-13 09:20:47

I saw on the TV last night, an advert for some fanny spray for women to give confidence bla bla.. It was an advert in conjunction with Boots. This morning I am still so cross about it that I want to write some really offensive message on their face book wall, and tell them I am never going in there again.

I am quite new to telly so perhaps this is normal, but my 14yo daughter was watching with me. I dont want her to see things like that.

Do Boots think I will want to go shopping in their shops now I know they thing my vagina stinks?

SaucyJack Thu 07-Nov-13 16:05:50

Just be grateful the ad wasn't on one of Tesco's new targeted ad thingies.

MoldieOldNaiceHam Thu 07-Nov-13 16:03:48

If you have an odour problem you need a doctor.

Normal vulvas do NOT smell.

kali110 Thu 07-Nov-13 15:33:50

If they dont advertise then people dont people dont know they exist. Some people do have problem with odours so use these products to boost their confidence.

MoldieOldNaiceHam Thu 07-Nov-13 14:53:51

Of course ynbu to think the marketing of this stuff isn't pernicious and a worrying trend.

Normal vaginas do not smell bad. If your vage stinks you need to go to the doctor and get some anti-fungals/antibiotics and have the problem fixed. Squirting a bit of perfumed alcohol and water on your bits is just silly and another marketing con.

I haven't seen the Boots ad so I don't know how bad it was. They have a history of grim ads though. Especially the headache tablets so you don't have an excuse not to have sex one hmm

MabelSideswipe Thu 07-Nov-13 11:58:58

We have used that tingle lube stuff. DH likes it because it makes him harder for longer by dulling sensitivity - I suspect that is what it is really for but they don't want to say that in the advert. It feels ok internally but if it gets on the outside of me it also dulls sensitivity which can be a bit annoying. It feels a bit like a much much milder Ralgex or deep heat.

Tee2072 Thu 07-Nov-13 11:47:42

"Whereas in USA this sort of thing has been normalised so it is thought of as a bit dirty not to douche/ use sprays."

Bullshit. I'm American. I have many American friends. We are all smart enough to know it's bullshit.

Why assume women here aren't? Or perhaps you're afraid you smell?

Tallaween Thu 07-Nov-13 11:47:12

Proof men sometimes try to prettify their danglies

I do enjoy amazon customer reviews

WallyBantersJunkBox Thu 07-Nov-13 11:40:37

They should advertise it truthfully for their real target market -

Out for a few after work drinks in the City last night?

Get rat arsed and uppity complaining about your crap boss?

End up in a tacky nightclub with the IT department at 3am, even though you were only going out for one?

Woke up on the nightbus/in the bed of the IT temp at 8am with a raging hangover?

No time to splash a bit of water on your Fanjo before heading back to work?

Don't want anyone to know you've been a filthy stop out who can't even manage a wash for work?

Find us next to the cheap toothbrush and toothpaste/make up wipes/emergency knickers aisle....

purrtrillpadpadpad Thu 07-Nov-13 11:30:08

Noble, seriously, you're killing me here!

SoleSorceress Thu 07-Nov-13 11:20:13

I have no insecurities about my personal hygiene. Worry about yourself!

mrsjay Thu 07-Nov-13 11:19:35

dahlen i agree with you on the advertising even on the male grooming adverts they tell men they only need one product and not all that faffy stuff women use it is all about revitalising and refreshing and on the go, it really does get on my wick

mrsjay Thu 07-Nov-13 11:16:53

I'm now picturing a Glade plug-in for intimate areas. Woman sniffs, frowns, then presses a button. Instant freshness

Oh it would skoosh though you would need to make it silent we cant have awkward skooshes now can we

WallyBantersJunkBox Thu 07-Nov-13 11:12:50

Don't men just aim a directional flannel lathered in Radox at their twig and berries though? Followed by an affectionate pat down with a fluffy towel and a quick spray of Lynx down the pants?

It's almost a sealed unit for blokes, so no risk of irritation. I'd have thought they could've used a dab of Cif without much disruption.

Lililly Thu 07-Nov-13 11:06:14

stingily lube.
thats all i'm saying.

RoxanneReidsChafingFishnets Thu 07-Nov-13 11:04:08

I tried it on my hand at a Ann Summers party. I also tried the heat one. Both I'm allergic to. My hand was covered in all kinds of lube.

GideonKipper Thu 07-Nov-13 10:59:54

"WhiffyStiffy" grin God, the Lynx adverts are bad enough - imagine what they'd dream up for WhiffyStiffy!

As an aside, will anyone own up to having used this tingly lube thingy? <looks round> <whispers> Is it any good then?

Dahlen Thu 07-Nov-13 10:49:06

It's all about money. Women are much easier to convince than men when ti comes to spending money on making themselves more acceptable to society - that's because for millennia they have been marginalised in society, whereas men are society. It's a cultural psyche that is entrenched.

It's no accident that since women started making significant gains in equality that we've seen a rise in the same sort of marketing aimed at men. It is slower to catch on, but catch on it will. Eventually, products to fragrance men's intimate parts will become as commonplace as women's. But it will take longer because the cultural backdrop has, until recently, been that women should be grateful to receive any penis, no matter how unwashed. hmm

As soon as manufacturer's think they can sell enough hygiene products for men to rival women's, they will. Right now, they're entering the market with scents, moisturisers and razors. And the metrosexual male is on the rise. It's only a matter of time.

It's just a shame that "equality" will come to mean men being told their natural state is as inadequate as women's has been pretty much forever.

noblegiraffe Thu 07-Nov-13 10:41:38

Is it a tampon, is it a fruit tea bag? It smells so delicious I can't decide!

ButThereAgain Thu 07-Nov-13 10:41:26

I love that Mitchell and Webb link!grin

There is also their Toothbrush marketing sketch ("We may have run out of things we can tell them they need on their toothbrushshock"): www.youtube.com/watch?v=brU_Pp-20g0

RoxanneReidsChafingFishnets Thu 07-Nov-13 10:38:18

Noble Have you seen those cigs that when you click a button it turns to menthol?

Well imagine that idea on a tampon. Feel like you can smell your period? Click your tampon and instant puff of cinnamon

noblegiraffe Thu 07-Nov-13 10:36:20

I'm now picturing a Glade plug-in for intimate areas. Woman sniffs, frowns, then presses a button. Instant freshness.

Plug it in, plug it in.

Viviennemary Thu 07-Nov-13 10:28:33

If you find the advert offensive then report them to the Advertising Standards Authority. You can do this by e-mail. I've done it a few times.

LaRegina Thu 07-Nov-13 10:25:51

And why didn't my ^ ^ work? confused confused

LaRegina Thu 07-Nov-13 10:25:00

Can't get too worked up about an advert but - fanny spray? Really?

Just...^why^? confused

RoxanneReidsChafingFishnets Thu 07-Nov-13 10:22:05

I will start a range of penis cleaning products.

'Whiffy Stiffy' will be the name

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now