To still be cross this morning about the load of cock rot advert from Boots I saw

(76 Posts)
Lililly Thu 07-Nov-13 09:20:47

I saw on the TV last night, an advert for some fanny spray for women to give confidence bla bla.. It was an advert in conjunction with Boots. This morning I am still so cross about it that I want to write some really offensive message on their face book wall, and tell them I am never going in there again.

I am quite new to telly so perhaps this is normal, but my 14yo daughter was watching with me. I dont want her to see things like that.

Do Boots think I will want to go shopping in their shops now I know they thing my vagina stinks?

noblegiraffe Thu 07-Nov-13 09:45:38

How did the advert go? Did a woman get onto a bus with niffy bits with everyone sniffing and looking around for the culprit? With a voiceover "do you suffer from stinky minnie? Try new Vagbreze"
Then the woman roller-blading to work with flowers shooting out of her nethers?

HellonHeels Thu 07-Nov-13 09:45:57

Not intending to derail but what do you mean by "new to TV"?

Have you really not encountered telly before now? Even if you didn't have a TV, you are still exposed to advertising everywhere - in the media, in the cinema, on public transport, on roadside billboards. A lot of advertising is designed to play on people's insecurities. While I agree with you on the unnecessary nature of fanny deodorising products I think you'd do better to educate your DCs on the whole process of advertising and marketing, rather than just boycotting Boots.

BadLad Thu 07-Nov-13 09:47:36

Out of interest, what does being new to telly mean?

IamInvisible Thu 07-Nov-13 09:47:50

*a gun, not a gin!

purrtrillpadpadpad Thu 07-Nov-13 09:49:00

I'm perplexed by those sniffing haughtily and saying they can't get worked up by an advert. Hell, I can, if it tells my beautiful daughter that her vagina smells bad and she feels diminished as a result and goes out and buys something to fix it. Shit. I can get very worked up about that.

mrsjay Thu 07-Nov-13 09:49:22

I think she means femmine spray or wash or whatever it was If it is the same advert I saw it is a brand quite well known, I think we need to speak to our dds that this is a load of rubbish and they dont need to be spraying anywhere near there,

purrtrillpadpadpad Thu 07-Nov-13 09:49:39

Noblegiraffe A+! Fine work grin

mrsjay Thu 07-Nov-13 09:50:13

oh (noblegiraffe* you did make me grin

Lililly Thu 07-Nov-13 09:52:10

Hellonheels Badlad
I just got one the other day, after not having one for about 17 years. So I thought maybe I had just been sheltered from this sort of thing and it is perhaps thought of as normal now.

mrsjay Thu 07-Nov-13 09:53:47

oh just you wait until the durex tingle lube advert comes on

IamInvisible Thu 07-Nov-13 09:53:55

Who said it tells anyone their vagina smells bad?

What about women who do have problems with vaginal odours and products like this make their lives a little bit better, make it a bit easier at work because the person they sit next to can't smell them any more? Don't they matter?

mrsjay Thu 07-Nov-13 09:54:16

so this is your dds first TV then ?

Lililly Thu 07-Nov-13 09:54:18

Noblegiraffe Yes that's it!

RoxanneReidsChafingFishnets Thu 07-Nov-13 09:55:00

Mrs Oh yes, the late night lube ad! Playtime Tingle grin

ButThereAgain Thu 07-Nov-13 09:55:35

Completely agree with you, Lililly. These sorts of products start off as daft, marginal things that people laugh at because they know they don't need them, but within a generation they start to be seen as normal and necessary and their purchasers generate all sorts of retrospective false rationalisations of their existence -- see for example the false claims that removal of minge hair has a hygiene value. Before you know where you are they are seen as the march of progress rather than the march of commerce.

Howlsmovingcastle Thu 07-Nov-13 09:56:21

I agree with you op - they are creating insecurities so that they can sell their product. Rather like anti-aging creams but this goes a step further IMO.

Lililly Thu 07-Nov-13 09:58:09

mrsjay yes - But we have computers so the kids have seen most programmes on Iplayer.

fascinated by this durex ad. though it probably wont make me cross unless it starts... does your partner think your fanny is not as tingly as it once was?

purrtrillpadpadpad Thu 07-Nov-13 09:58:37

Very well put, ButThereAgain.

mrsjay Thu 07-Nov-13 09:58:40

we dont need anti wrinke cream girls don't need lucious london look lips we dont need most of what is advertised for women this is just another product that women can use, you know if they want too .

Tallaween Thu 07-Nov-13 10:00:10

Playtime Tingle sounds like some dirty distant relative of Mr Tumble.

Branleuse Thu 07-Nov-13 10:02:44

its for people with sweaty fannies. whats the big deal?.

When they sell normal deodorants, theyre not trying to insist that you personally stink. Theyre just trying to sell their products.

mrsjay Thu 07-Nov-13 10:04:45

Playtime Tingle sounds like some dirty distant relative of Mr Tumble

oh that is just wrong grin

"When a man you've never met bought gives you flowers...it's to hide the smell of your stench trench".

KungFuBustle Thu 07-Nov-13 10:15:28

I know Pictish. I personally think I look stunning (make up free and braless in my oldest t shirt) but now I've seen the advert....

THEY TOOK MY BRAIN!

Men's genitals can sometimes stink in the same way women's genitals can sometimes stink.

And yet somehow, there is no range of Men's Daily Pantyliners, Masculine Wash for "intimate hygiene" or penis freshener being widely advertised.

It's almost like we live in a society where different standards of hygiene and beauty are expected of women compared to men, because our primary function is to be appealing and decorative.

Go onto their FB page and ask them when they'll be launching their smelly knob deodorant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now