Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

If the C word is so bad, why is Scunthorpe spelt the way it is?

(212 Posts)
paulagil Wed 06-Nov-13 14:40:10

I piss myself laughing everytime I see it on the television weather charts.

Ha ha ho ho. Or am I just warped?

paulagil Mon 25-Nov-13 17:20:58

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I've just found Sandy Balls in Hampshire. It might be on here already, but... LOLOLOLOL.....

And there is Shag Rock on S Georgia (nearish to The Falklands). And who can pass by Spankers Hill Wood in Richmond Park without sniggering? Ho ho! *childish face*

Oops perhaps Somerset not Cheshire.

There's a Nunney Castle in the Cheshire area, always gave the kids a laugh when they were little.

Livinginlimbo2 Tue 12-Nov-13 22:21:42

Sounds like right bloody hole if you ask me!

On the island of Reunion in the Indian Ocean, one of the larger towns is called Tampon

EldritchCleavage Tue 12-Nov-13 12:27:06

What about Quimper, in France?

Livinginlimbo2 Tue 12-Nov-13 12:25:07

My friend lives in a village called; " Willy". True, it's on Shropshire.

justamouse Tue 12-Nov-13 11:03:23

Clitheroe in Lancashire. I'd love to meet the clit heroe, that would make my day!

Thumbwitch Tue 12-Nov-13 10:41:55

YES! I have. I knew there was another hilarious name up there somewhere but couldn't remember it - thank you for posting it! grin Went along it, or saw it anyway when we visited Maleny.

PattyPuddy Tue 12-Nov-13 08:53:36

Has anyone else driven along Bald Knob Road?

www.whereis.com/qld/bald-knob/bald-knob-rd#session=MTc=

iFad Tue 12-Nov-13 08:17:53

I'm definitely looking at property in Slutshole Lane grin

iFad Tue 12-Nov-13 08:16:35
birdmomma Tue 12-Nov-13 04:44:05

There's a skiing village here in New Zealand called Whakapapa. It's pronounced fucker-papa.

StatelyAsAGalleon Tue 12-Nov-13 04:43:29

perfectstorm you beat me to Friars Entry in Oxford.

I have also had the good fortune of living close to Pratts Bottom and Badgers Mount in Kent.

Can't believe nobody has mentioned Fanjeaux, I the Aude region of France. It should be twinned with Mumsnet.

3littlewomen Tue 12-Nov-13 03:05:47

We have Bastardstown down the road in County Wexford, Ireland

perfectstorm Tue 12-Nov-13 02:38:27

Friar's Entry in Oxford.
Grope Lane in Shrewsbury (used to be where the brothels were, apparently?)
Lake Titicaca. I know; I should be too mature for that one to make me laugh, but no.
There's actually a place called Vagina in Russia. That's one for a postcard.

KingCrimson Tue 12-Nov-13 02:16:28

There's a place in Itay called Arsoli.

mouldyironingboard Mon 11-Nov-13 23:55:27

There's a place in Hertfordshire called Round Bush.

A street called Snatchup Alley, also in south Hertfordshire, makes me snigger when I drive past!

duchesse Mon 11-Nov-13 23:55:20

Maybe it's because it's a lane rather than a street? Maybe it's local pride? I discovered earlier that there's a narrower street than Parliament street (which to be honest could easily be mistaken for a mere gap between two large buildings <sacrilege!>) in Germany.

oldsilver Mon 11-Nov-13 23:52:26

duchesse I don't know if it is the narrowest - but it is very narrow. Probably doesn't help that there used to be (I don't know if there still is though) a chippie at one end! smile

I was just told, as a child, it was the narrowest - apologies if it isn't.

BlueMonday17 Mon 11-Nov-13 23:50:12

Wetwang, Wombwell and Blubberhouses are my holy trinity of hilarious Yorkshire place names. And before anyone shoots me down, I'm from Yorkshire, although from a more boringly-named place.

Livinginlimbo2 Mon 11-Nov-13 23:49:21

Wigwig in Shropshire. Pant in Wales.

I live near Farleigh Wallop which gets a mention in Bill Bryson's Notes from a Small Island. I rather like it - it sounds like something from a Two Ronnies sketch.

BuffytheAnyAppleFucker Mon 11-Nov-13 23:18:04

Piddletown used to make us laugh as kids

wispaxmas Mon 11-Nov-13 23:06:30

Apparently there's a town in Quebec with two exclamation marks, though: Saint-Louis-du-Ha! Ha!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now