Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

TV licensing will not take my money.

(38 Posts)
moldingsunbeams Wed 06-Nov-13 13:32:01

I rang tv licensing as someone has given me a tv.
I asked them for a cash payment scheme card for the post office or paypoint as I only have a very basic account and do not have access to direct debit or a card they accept.

I was told that I could not have a cash payment scheme card unless I made the first payment by card. They offered no alternatives.

I then emailed the CARD PAYMENT section and explained the above and they told me they do not deal with card payments in an office that accepts the email form and to ring.

So I wrote.

I have today had a letter saying they are going to visit my house any time of the day/night and any day of the week and are going to get a search warrant to see if I am watching tv.

Crapita have just taken over all my local council services. This thread is a depressing read.

flatmum Wed 06-Nov-13 17:55:07

That's right -150 odd thousand that were prosecuted were prosecuted on the back of their own statements - i.e they admitted watching live broadcasts without having a TV licence. Like I said, until it is sorted, a) don't let them in and b) don't say you have a TV and there is very, very little chance of prosecution.

Which is neither here nor there for the OPs payment issues, just reassurance not to panic in the meantime.

JustAnotherFucker Wed 06-Nov-13 16:54:35

So the statistics discussed here telegraph linky show an infinitesimally small amount of prosecutions do they flatpack?

I agree that TV licencing is outdated and just a bit shit, but until the law changes you could end up with a record for such a stupid thing.

elfycat Wed 06-Nov-13 16:46:49

Until you get this sorted please do not watch any kind of live TV as they're a bugger for prosecuting.

I assume you have internet, if it's broadband and goodish speed I recommend iPlayer, ITV Player, 4OD for now as any programs they put on after the live time (between straight away to a couple of hours for most things on iPlayer). We watch all our 'TV' this way and we make TV licencing weep with frustration!

But we never, ever, ever watch live TV as they know about us (we call every year, on change of address and whenever they send their barely-veiled threat letters). We now get politer letters asking if we've changed our habits and would like to buy a Licence.

Good luck trying to get this sorted soon.

flatmum Wed 06-Nov-13 16:39:03

Yes that's right. There was a special coded subliminal message direct to the OP in my "possibly" post commenting on the level of probability of the OP getting a criminal record while she is trying to sort out her payment issues saying "OP I advocate breaking the law and advise you not to bother getting one"

Im sure she can make up her own mind about how to proceed.

SoupDragon Wed 06-Nov-13 16:29:40

So you advocate breaking the law then?

flatmum Wed 06-Nov-13 16:23:25

Possibly, after about 3 years, I'd you were foolish enough to let them into your house without permission (withdraw implied right of access) or admit to them that you watched live bbc broadcasts and didn't have a licence. Or were stupid enough to still be doing this in the infetessimally tiny chance that they chose you to get a warrant and then came back, with a police officer, to force their way into your house.

JustAnotherFucker Wed 06-Nov-13 16:15:34

No its not Santiago, it is most definitely a matter for the criminal courts hmm

Rightly or wrongly, you could end up with a criminal record.

SantiagoToots Wed 06-Nov-13 15:25:46

You don't need to pay at all. It's a voluntary tax and civil matter, they can fuck themselves and you can use that money for YOUR Xmas.

WooWooOwl Iran Wed 06-Nov-13 15:06:15

Can you ask your bank to give you a debit card that the TV licence people will accept?

I think that's probably what most people have.

flatmum Wed 06-Nov-13 14:54:36

Oh, he also tried the old "when will you husband be back sothat he can authorise a payment for a TV licence for this address" - dik

flatmum Wed 06-Nov-13 14:45:14

lol - the CRAPITA man that used to try and harass me (after years, OP, I promise you) used to insist that he "was an officer of the TV Licencing Authority Madam!". I'd say, now, that is not strictly true is it? You work as a door to door collections man for Capita don't you? (later substituted with "hired thug") - he would go purple with rage and frustration and eventually I could just get him to give up and storm off without saying anything. Sadly, I no longer work from home so these kinds of amusement are no longer available to me.

My John Lewis pet insurance was later taken over by CRAPITA, at which point they promptly lost all trace of my account and, until the day I cancelled my policy, insisted I had only ever had 1 cat not 2. They are a truly terrible company.

MotherofBear Wed 06-Nov-13 14:37:23

Friday, It may not be as simple as that. Many people can only have the very basics for financial/credit reasons. I'm not saying this is the case for the OP, but there is usually a very good reason for people to have just the very basic account with a cashcard only.

JustAnotherFucker Wed 06-Nov-13 14:24:31

I would use it to make a part payment at a paypoint outlet then, and completely ignore what they said about a card for the first payment grin

If you have to speak to them again make sure you accidentally say crapita instead of capita. They love it when folk do this I assure you wink

ElsieMc Wed 06-Nov-13 14:22:04

They really are a nightmare to deal with. I paid for my DD's TV licence when she went to Uni from my own bank account. Whenever she moved flats and I contacted them, they told me they could not speak to me because the account was not in my name, when my DD rang they said they could not speak to her because she was not the payee. They then told me that they had no record of her previous address and that I had never paid for a licence. Fortunately I could prove to the contrary. They told me to write in. I refused and asked to speak to a manager who sorted it out.

When I cancelled, we both had to be by the phone and I took the precaution of cancelling the direct debit.

They will not put themselves out to assist in any way and act like they are doing you a massive favour when you are trying to behave decently and properly and do not seem to realise you are a paying customer.

Charlesroi England Wed 06-Nov-13 14:21:36

I don't think the letter you got is anything to do with you ringing them. It sounds like one of their standard threatening letters (we had one waiting for us when we moved in here - nice). If they do turn up bfore you've got this sorted just don't open the door. There's bugger all they can do if they don't catch you watching telly (of course you shouldn't watch it if you haven't got a licence, and it would be a good idea to unpug the aerial).

friday16 Wed 06-Nov-13 14:21:32

Go and get a pre-pay debit card. Some of them are even free.

Or why not get a basic bank account with a debit card?

Living a purely cash-only existence is both expensive and pointless, where there are plenty of alternatives.

flatmum Wed 06-Nov-13 14:19:24

to be honest I think you are perfectly safe to just put the weekly or monthly amount aside for a year until you have the full amount (or I think you can pay in full at 6 months?) as, as someone else says, Capita send upt millions of threatening, legally questionable letters and very, very rarely visit the address. It would take a few round of letters first whwich would probably take 6/9 months. Then, at worst, they'd send some weasally little Capita man round who would try and harrass you on the doorstep. As long as you refused to let him in and said you had only just moved in and didnt have a TV yet or weren't using it yet he woudl just go away issuing more empty threats.

I know all this because I once has a TV licence in a rented property but Capita (for TV Licencing) refused to believe me (despite me having the paper documentation) because it was in my name not my partners who was on teh lease and had purchased the TV. All this took WELL over a year.

Even if after all this you still hadn't bought one, the only think they can do is get a warrant to bring the police round to enter your property and check whether you are watching TV. This requires a court order on their part and would take years.

Thinknig about it, the Capita toad that came to the door was asking me for cash to buy a TV licence then and there (even though I had one) - so you could probably just save up every week and wait til he turns up and give it to him.

moldingsunbeams Wed 06-Nov-13 14:13:13

Yes just another there is but I think it can only be used for full payment.

moldingsunbeams Wed 06-Nov-13 14:10:38

I am going to have to ask if someone will let me although heavens knows who, maybe my boss.

Thats not my point though, what about all those people who are on those post office card accounts that can only recieve benefits because they do not work do they all have to borrow someone elses bank card to join a CASH payment scheme.

JustAnotherFucker Wed 06-Nov-13 14:10:13

Is there a bar code scan thingy on the letters?

UserError Wed 06-Nov-13 14:08:58

Gah, pressed send too soon.

I was in a similar position a good few years ago, when I was caught in a catch-22 situation where I couldn't open a new bank account because I didn't have the right ID, but I couldn't acquire the right ID because I didn't have a bank account to receive money!

My then housemate was lovely and let me use her account. It absolutely sucks having to ask people to do that type of thing when you feel you should be able to resolve it yourself, but save yourself some worry and ask someone to make that first payment for you. Then it's all sorted. smile

sounds fucking nuts!! Do you have any friends or family that could use their card to pay the first payment for you and you can give them the cash

UserError Wed 06-Nov-13 14:05:36

You've been given a solution - ask someone else to make the first card payment for you. It's rubbish and completely ridiculous that you need to do that, but that is the easy way to resolve it.

moldingsunbeams Wed 06-Nov-13 14:03:24

I can however pay cash weekly, fortnightly or monthly at the post office or paypoint under the cash payment card scheme which needs a card which they won't seem to send me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now