Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

TV licensing will not take my money.

(38 Posts)
moldingsunbeams Wed 06-Nov-13 13:32:01

I rang tv licensing as someone has given me a tv.
I asked them for a cash payment scheme card for the post office or paypoint as I only have a very basic account and do not have access to direct debit or a card they accept.

I was told that I could not have a cash payment scheme card unless I made the first payment by card. They offered no alternatives.

I then emailed the CARD PAYMENT section and explained the above and they told me they do not deal with card payments in an office that accepts the email form and to ring.

So I wrote.

I have today had a letter saying they are going to visit my house any time of the day/night and any day of the week and are going to get a search warrant to see if I am watching tv.

specialsubject Wed 06-Nov-13 13:36:32

you won't get a visit - this is a standard threatening letter - and even if you do, you don't have to let them in. This is Capita who are incentivised on those they catch.

contact them via the website if possible, if not give it a few days with the letter.

otherwise; can someone who does have a suitable card pay for you, and you pay them? Then you can set up your cash payment scheme.

is this the number you called?:

Call us on 0300 555 0286 Monday to Friday between 8am and 9pm or Saturday between 8am and 5pm.

OHforDUCKScake Wed 06-Nov-13 13:40:32

That doesnt sound like the generic letter. Mine never said they'd get a search warrant.

If it was me, Id pay the money into a friends account and ask if they could pay the 'first payemenf' for me.

Callani Wed 06-Nov-13 13:42:48

How frustrating for you - it seems like they haven't got their heads screwed on straight.

If I were you I'd make sure to keep copies of any letters / emails you send and write down the times of your calls and who you spoke to.

whogrewoutoftheterribletwos Wed 06-Nov-13 13:48:23

Can you still go into a post office branch to pay in person in cash? Not had a tv for a while but seem to remember that's what I did last time.
If they come knocking show them copies of your communications etc and demand to know how they are going to resolve the issue. That'll put you in a strong position

whogrewoutoftheterribletwos Wed 06-Nov-13 13:49:48

*in person for first payment with the form

Bramshott Wed 06-Nov-13 13:53:46

Seems to say here that you can just go to any paypoint and pay in cash?

moldingsunbeams Wed 06-Nov-13 13:53:54

It was the cash payment scheme number, they said I could have a cash payment card but had to make the first payment on the CASH payment card by card or they would not send me one.

me: but you do not accept my card
them: but you have to make your first payment by card

So I then emailed them through the website explaining the above and asking for advice under the payment card section of the contact form and got the below.

Thank you for contacting us about the TV Licensing Payment Card.

I?m sorry I?m unable to help you with your enquiry. This scheme is not administered from this office.

You should contact the appropriate office on 0300 555 0300 or write to:

TV Licensing Payment Card
PO Box 181
Preston
PR1 3GE

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

Yours sincerely,

Shailesh Shukla

So I did as he said and wrote and got a letter today, def from them
"As you have not responded to our letters (I have not had any letters as I had previously informed them I had no live tv) you have left us with no alternative but to proceed with the final stages of our investigation.

An officer has been scheduled to visit (postcode) to find out if tv is being watched or recorded illegally. The officer may visit your property any day or the week morning or night.

etc

then goes on to say about the applying for a search warrant to gain access to your property.

Bramshott Wed 06-Nov-13 13:54:30
eurochick Wed 06-Nov-13 13:54:35

There are lots of different ways to pay. Surely you can do one of them?

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/pay-for-your-tv-licence/payment-methods/

moldingsunbeams Wed 06-Nov-13 13:55:00

Only if you are paying in full Bramshott, to pay weekly/fortnightly/monthly at post office you have to have a card.

moldingsunbeams Wed 06-Nov-13 14:02:02

I do not have direct debit
I do not have a cheque book
I only have a basic account with a basic atm only card
I cannot pay in full so cannot pay at post office or by postal order without a payment card for the cash payment scheme.

moldingsunbeams Wed 06-Nov-13 14:03:24

I can however pay cash weekly, fortnightly or monthly at the post office or paypoint under the cash payment card scheme which needs a card which they won't seem to send me.

UserError Wed 06-Nov-13 14:05:36

You've been given a solution - ask someone else to make the first card payment for you. It's rubbish and completely ridiculous that you need to do that, but that is the easy way to resolve it.

sounds fucking nuts!! Do you have any friends or family that could use their card to pay the first payment for you and you can give them the cash

UserError Wed 06-Nov-13 14:08:58

Gah, pressed send too soon.

I was in a similar position a good few years ago, when I was caught in a catch-22 situation where I couldn't open a new bank account because I didn't have the right ID, but I couldn't acquire the right ID because I didn't have a bank account to receive money!

My then housemate was lovely and let me use her account. It absolutely sucks having to ask people to do that type of thing when you feel you should be able to resolve it yourself, but save yourself some worry and ask someone to make that first payment for you. Then it's all sorted. smile

JustAnotherFucker Wed 06-Nov-13 14:10:13

Is there a bar code scan thingy on the letters?

moldingsunbeams Wed 06-Nov-13 14:10:38

I am going to have to ask if someone will let me although heavens knows who, maybe my boss.

Thats not my point though, what about all those people who are on those post office card accounts that can only recieve benefits because they do not work do they all have to borrow someone elses bank card to join a CASH payment scheme.

moldingsunbeams Wed 06-Nov-13 14:13:13

Yes just another there is but I think it can only be used for full payment.

flatmum Wed 06-Nov-13 14:19:24

to be honest I think you are perfectly safe to just put the weekly or monthly amount aside for a year until you have the full amount (or I think you can pay in full at 6 months?) as, as someone else says, Capita send upt millions of threatening, legally questionable letters and very, very rarely visit the address. It would take a few round of letters first whwich would probably take 6/9 months. Then, at worst, they'd send some weasally little Capita man round who would try and harrass you on the doorstep. As long as you refused to let him in and said you had only just moved in and didnt have a TV yet or weren't using it yet he woudl just go away issuing more empty threats.

I know all this because I once has a TV licence in a rented property but Capita (for TV Licencing) refused to believe me (despite me having the paper documentation) because it was in my name not my partners who was on teh lease and had purchased the TV. All this took WELL over a year.

Even if after all this you still hadn't bought one, the only think they can do is get a warrant to bring the police round to enter your property and check whether you are watching TV. This requires a court order on their part and would take years.

Thinknig about it, the Capita toad that came to the door was asking me for cash to buy a TV licence then and there (even though I had one) - so you could probably just save up every week and wait til he turns up and give it to him.

friday16 Wed 06-Nov-13 14:21:32

Go and get a pre-pay debit card. Some of them are even free.

Or why not get a basic bank account with a debit card?

Living a purely cash-only existence is both expensive and pointless, where there are plenty of alternatives.

Charlesroi England Wed 06-Nov-13 14:21:36

I don't think the letter you got is anything to do with you ringing them. It sounds like one of their standard threatening letters (we had one waiting for us when we moved in here - nice). If they do turn up bfore you've got this sorted just don't open the door. There's bugger all they can do if they don't catch you watching telly (of course you shouldn't watch it if you haven't got a licence, and it would be a good idea to unpug the aerial).

ElsieMc Wed 06-Nov-13 14:22:04

They really are a nightmare to deal with. I paid for my DD's TV licence when she went to Uni from my own bank account. Whenever she moved flats and I contacted them, they told me they could not speak to me because the account was not in my name, when my DD rang they said they could not speak to her because she was not the payee. They then told me that they had no record of her previous address and that I had never paid for a licence. Fortunately I could prove to the contrary. They told me to write in. I refused and asked to speak to a manager who sorted it out.

When I cancelled, we both had to be by the phone and I took the precaution of cancelling the direct debit.

They will not put themselves out to assist in any way and act like they are doing you a massive favour when you are trying to behave decently and properly and do not seem to realise you are a paying customer.

JustAnotherFucker Wed 06-Nov-13 14:24:31

I would use it to make a part payment at a paypoint outlet then, and completely ignore what they said about a card for the first payment grin

If you have to speak to them again make sure you accidentally say crapita instead of capita. They love it when folk do this I assure you wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now