To not buy dd1 the "ONLY thing in the world" she wants for xmas/birthday?

(214 Posts)
D0oinMeCleanin Wed 06-Nov-13 10:15:03

She will even "sell me her Kindle Fire, 3DS, ipod nano, ipig and her soul" if I buy her one. She tried to sell me her Xbox, until I pointed out that it was not hers to sell and already belonged to me grin She won't sell me her bike, she loves it too much.

She wants an ipad air. I do not want to buy her one. Not because we cannot afford one, it would be a big chunk of our christmas budget and she'd have to not do any big birthday celebrations, but we could afford one just.

The reason I do not want to buy her one is that a) I begrudge paying Apple's prices which I believe are massively inflated simply because it is an Apple product and people blindly believe they are best (although admittedly upon looking further into it ipad air is very impressive, but then so is the new Google Nexus) and b) Going on what she is wanting to use it for, there are more suitable, cheaper tablets out there for her, that do the job just as well but without Apple's price tag.

She is wanting it primarily for taking photos and videos, watching movies on the go and playing minecraft. The Galaxy Tab 2 is just as suitable for her. It's processor is slower, but as she is not as massive gamer, she'll hardly notice this and it's camera is not as good, but she is not a photographer, she wants it simply to take photos of her dogs to edit in photo editor/whatever it is she uses, a 3MP camera will do the job adequately. When it comes to watching movies, the ipad air has a much better display, however once you get past 1080p, the difference is hardly noticeable, imo, the Tab 2 has a bigger screen (something which she would notice) and plays a higher number of file types, meaning less pestering me to convert files for her and the Tab 2 has expandable memory, which she will need.

She also wants Skype/Facetime etc. to keep in touch with her Aunt. Both devices have HD web cams.

And the biggest bonus is that the Tab 2 is significantly cheaper. I do not believe the Air is £200+ better than the Tab 2. Plus 2 weeks after she gets it, she'll be moaning she's run out of space on it and asking me where her memory card is so she can swap it for a bigger one, just like she did with her ipod and kindle fire.

I've spoken to her about this and she is adamant that it is ONLY the ipad air she wants, although she is unable to tell me why beyond "It's the best because it's ipad and all my friends have one and Mr. X (her new teacher) has one because it's the best and if he says it's the best, it must be the best, btw we also need to buy a Mac because they are better than Windows PCs"

If she can't have the ipad Air, she'd rather have the cash to save towards the ipad, than the Tab 2.

She's a bit of a sheep and easily sold to.

WhereIsMyHat Tue 12-Nov-13 10:07:37

To be fair to your DD, we had a tab 2 and it was rubbish. We sold it and some other things to pay for an ipad which is much better.

What does it have to be ipad air and not a standard ipad?

differentnameforthis Tue 12-Nov-13 10:09:58

Surely we all remember the one Christmas when we didn't get the one thing in all the world which we wanted. It doesn't damage us as people, but there is always a memory of the disappointment

Mine was lego. Not a fecking ipad costing upwards of 400 pounds. And guess what...it didn't actually harm me not to have it! Go figure!

WhereIsMyHat Tue 12-Nov-13 10:15:23

Ha, I remember being a teenager and everyone was getting mobile phones for Christmas and the one to get was a Nokia 5110 that you could change the cover on and play the original snake. I got a BT cellnet phone that wasn't anywhere near as cool.

I've always been one step behind mobile wise ever since.

differentnameforthis Tue 12-Nov-13 10:24:00

She told me she knows how to use Apple because the school have ipad 2 which they are allowed to use freely in her class and she's had a go on her teacher's ipad air

She is very good isn't she? Making you think that only the ipad will do, as she can already use it.

We have a Galaxy tab 2. My daughter uses her schools ipads. She has no issues going between the two. We used a friend's ipad before we got our tab to see if it was something we would use & we hated the actual machine, (slow, clumsy, bulky) but liked the idea of accessibility on the go (could only use on wifi). So opted for the galaxy, although we got ours on a contract, not wifi, so we don't lose coverage when out & about.

Dh has an iphone for work, we all hate it, inc him, but he can't change it. He can't download stuff that is over a certain size without wifi (which we don't have) so has to wait to do updates/downloads files/games at work. I have a Samsung & no limit on my downloads. A lot of apps on iphone have changed (youtube, fb) and he finds them confusing to use now, whereas on my android, they are the same.

ErrolTheDragon Tue 12-Nov-13 10:25:07

The one Christmas? The deal in our house was that we'd look through the catalog, feast our eyes on what was there and then choose one item that was within the (unstated) budget (about £5 but I'm talking ~1970) and keep our desires to ourselves. One year, I'd chosen the sensible sewing box and by mistake an Etch-a-Sketch which cost twice as much arrived and I was allowed to keep it ... can you imagine many kids today being overjoyed at such unthinkable luck? grin

A 10 year old with an iPad Air? No, just no.

Buy cheap, buy twice!

Last yr dd wanted a tablet. We bought her a laptop so she could also do her homework etc.

Guess what she saved up for?

GoshAnneGorilla Tue 12-Nov-13 19:53:56

But you can get a very good tablet for under £150 and an excellent tablet for £300. There is no need to spend £700. It's nonsense.

theaandrea Wed 13-Nov-13 00:12:09

Seriously, look at this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-iPad-2-16GB-Black-WiFi-MC769LL-A-Engraved-w-Contact-Info-Fair-Condition-/190963780538?pt=US_Tablets&hash=item2c76540bba

If she wants Apple, this is Apple. And you know what? There's not really a huge lot of difference beteen this ipad and the 3 or the 4th gen, so there's prob not a huge diff between it and the air either. I've not felt any need to upgrade mine and it's 1st generaton!

fridgepants Wed 13-Nov-13 16:42:23

Surely we all remember the one Christmas when we didn't get the one thing in all the world which we wanted. It doesn't damage us as people, but there is always a memory of the disappointment.

For my birthday one year, I wanted some kind of electronic diary, which looked cool as it had functions to send messages to friends and secret code things. It was crazy expensive and my parents were right not to get me one (they were gimmicky and frankly not that great) even if I didn't quite think that at the time. they could have afforded it, but didn't think it was worth the money. However, I didn't expect one, and when I didn't get one, I wasn't too disappointed.

What did disappoint me was my mum thinking it was funny to wrap up a cheap pound-shop organiser and decorate the packaging to look like one of these diaries - it felt a bit like taking the piss.

Getting her a cheaper tablet is not taking the piss.

LtEveDallas Wed 13-Nov-13 18:10:15

DD is 8. She has my old iPhone, a Kindle and an iPad3 (and she's better than me at using all of them!)

<<runs from thread>>

paperlantern Wed 13-Nov-13 21:28:37

So let me get this straight. she uses the techie gadgets she has and you can afford it. Why the heck wouldn't you?!?!?!

in the modern world computer gadgets are a part of most if not all jobs. they are updated changed as people find things do and don't work about them.

most girls come out of education under skilled technology wise. part of that learning comes from playing with the things and using them.

3mp cameras are rubbish. if she's into photos that is reason alone to upgrade.

paperlantern Wed 13-Nov-13 21:33:21

ps if necessary work with her to sell old technology to pay for it and seriously make it THE birthday celebration.

DumSpiroSpero Wed 13-Nov-13 22:27:43

YANBU!

If she wants it mostly for photos and video then get her a non-apple tablet and a decent digital camera.

My IL's bought DD an iPad for Xmas last year. The one and only time I let her use it out of the house to take photos it ended up face down on a concrete floor with the screen smashed to smithereens. I had no alternative but to fork out £250 to get it replaced as MIL would have gone ballistic had she found out.

I have never cursed a gadget so much in my life!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now