Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to feel hurt that my Dparents don't want to see my DCS (or me!) at Christmas.

(58 Posts)
SeeYouNT Wed 06-Nov-13 09:50:26

since dbro and i were tiny, my parents have stayed at my aunt and uncles house in the cotswolds for the whole festive period (ie 23rd dec to 2nd january). they live 120 miles away from our (and my parents) home town. we always went with them as children of course and before dcs i would drive up on my own for 2 or 3 days so as to still see my family.

however since having DCs christmas has become difficult. we have other family we need to see, such as my ILs, and also my elder DC is from another relationship so he needs to see his dad and his dads family etc. plus DH doesn't get a massive amount of time off work.

so the last few years, JUST to see my parents and so they can see my DCS, we have driven up to the cotswolds boxing day morning, and stayed at a hotel (as no room at aunts house for us all), then come back on the 27th. it costs a couple of hundred quid ie petrol, the hotel, and also they all like to go for a meal. we are not poor but we can;t afford this extra expense really. we went last year but was very tiring for us and the DCs as well as expensive and we decided we probably couldn't carry on doing it

so earlier this year my parents mentioned they would maybe stay at home until boxing day so they can see us and the DCs then going to the cotwolds for the rest of the christmas period

well the other day we had the "christmas conversation" with dparents. and we said we are definitely not coming, for the reasons above plus i will be 21 weeks pg by then. and lo and behold, DM announced that they would be going away from the 23rd dec to 2nd january as per sad

obvs its up to them what they do, they are adults and so am i, but it makes me sad that they just seem completely not arsed about seeing not just me, but their OWN GRANDCHILDREN at christmas sad and next year they will have 3 DGC they will be missing out on.

sorry its long but AIBU? or are my dparents?

CaptainSweatPants Wed 06-Nov-13 11:13:25

Well the 22.dec is a Sunday so I'd invite them to yours that day op & have an early Xmas with them

diddl Wed 06-Nov-13 11:21:03

Am I confused?

Parents said they would stay at home?

OP said they weren't going to go to them.

Parents said that they would do what they usually do then?

bigbrick Wed 06-Nov-13 11:53:11

Ragwort - it's a difference of opinion. My Christmas time is a family time so therefore I think the op isn't being unreasonable

Quoteunquote Wed 06-Nov-13 11:58:51

How often do you see your parents?

girlywhirly Wed 06-Nov-13 12:04:11

I think it was U of your parents to suggest maybe staying at home until the 27th so that they could see you on Christmas day if they had no intention of doing so. When the DC are teens, it will come back to bite them on the bum when they can't be arsed to see their GP's. It could also be said that Aunt and Uncle are BU for never changing their plans and controlling where Christmas should happen.

However, under these circumstances I would invite your parents for a day at yours the weekend before Christmas with a festive meal and so on, exchange gifts, and make your mind up that you and your own family will have a lovely time on Christmas day itself. Say to the DC that it will be like having two Christmasses. Thank your lucky stars you aren't being made to fork out for travel and stay in a hotel, an expensive meal, and deal with all the exhaustion again. Spend the money on yourselves.

If they can't make time to see you before they go away, then they are being VU.

2rebecca Wed 06-Nov-13 12:18:07

It sounds as though your parents see lots of you and your kids most of the year and this time in the Cotswolds is a treasured tradition for them. I think it's sad you're wanting it to be all about you and your kids. I'd just be glad they will have an enjoyable Christmas and sort out your own Christmas.
As a parent of teenagers Christmas with young kids isn't necessarily better than Christmas with older ones or adults. There's alot to be said for being able to go to a midnight church service and not get woken at the crack of dawn by squawking and squealing. Christmas with young kids can seem very materialistic in an "it's all about the presents" way.
I don't understand bigbricks point as the OP's parents are spending xmas with family, just not with her, maybe they didn't want the Cotswold relatives to not have visitors and thought the OP had enough folk round about over xmas as it sounds as though the OP will have inlaws and other relatives around.

girlywhirly Wed 06-Nov-13 12:34:09

diddl, OP said they wouldn't travel to Aunts home for Christmas (as her parents do every year) due to time/money/annual leave/eldest seeing dad/pregnancy restraints. Her mum suggested months ago perhaps herself and OP's dad could stay at home/see OP and family, then travel after Christmas to Aunt.

Now the OP's parents are going before Christmas as always. What isn't clear is why they changed their minds. Had she hoped the OP would forget about it, or did they actually forget? Or did the Aunt kick off about it? Or had they no intention of changing their plans at all? I think they could offer an explanation for the change in arrangements.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Wed 06-Nov-13 12:44:43

We have Christmas Day just me, DH and DS. We love it, it's our special day with our little family. We see parents (both sets live 3-4 hours away at opposite sides of the UK) either before or afterwards. That way you get an extended Christmas. My parents like a peaceful Christmas Day, everyone's happy.

I think there's too much emphasis on what people 'should' do at Christmas rather than what people want to do.

Pennyacrossthehall Wed 06-Nov-13 12:51:34

Christmas is just a day - pick another day/weekend that you can spend with your parents.

If your parents don't want to see you/your DCs at all, that is V unreasonable of them. If they see them regularly, what does it matter that they are visiting their friends ( = living their life) on one particular day?

CocktailQueen Wed 06-Nov-13 12:53:11

Can't you ask them to change their routine this year if it's important to you, and ask them to yours for Xmas? Then they can go to Cotswolds after that?

diddl Wed 06-Nov-13 12:56:41

Yes I wasn't sure who wasn't going wheregrin

So parents were going to stay at home until BD & have now decided not to.

Perhaps they were hoping for an invitation from OP or that OP would offer to go to them?

Yardarm Wed 06-Nov-13 13:02:11

Christmas can be rather full on with DCs around. I wouldn't be surprised if my parents wanted to spend it quietly and see the DCs another time instead. I can imagine it would me more relaxing for everybody (including you). Can you see them the weekend before they go away instead?

oscarwilde Wed 06-Nov-13 13:03:23

I don't get it as they live locally to you - I'd be thrilled in your shoes especially if I were 21 weeks pregnant. No pressure whatsoever to trail up there behind them and have your usual Christmas. See them the weekend before Christmas or the weekend after New years. You may well find that they miss you all this year and next year they change their minds on timetable.

See if you can wangle a trip to the farm in the summer for your DC with your grandparents and leave you with a few days peace and quiet with your newborn smile

wimblehorse Wed 06-Nov-13 14:04:23

Yes, maybe they were hoping from an invitation from you for Christmas Day? Then they would get to see you all on Christmas Day & go to the cotswolds on Boxing Day. Maybe they don't want to spend Christmas Day alone & so have decided rather than that, to do the "usual" thing.

Christmas. Days spend on the motorway trying to fit in seeing everyone. Nights spent uncomfortably on put up beds & sharing rooms with children. Family bickering & feeling resentful over who has had to put in the most work for it. Bloody nightmare. Bah humbug.

SeeYouNT Wed 06-Nov-13 15:59:10

Christmas. Days spend on the motorway trying to fit in seeing everyone. Nights spent uncomfortably on put up beds & sharing rooms with children. Family bickering & feeling resentful over who has had to put in the most work for it. Bloody nightmare. Bah humbug

LOL wimblehorse grin yep thats been my christmas's since having dcs

also re the confusion as to who is going where - earlier in the year, we told my dparents we probably wouldn't be able to come up to the cotswolds this time due to expense, lots of travel etc. so my parents then said that this year they would maybe go to the cotswolds later on so they could see us and dcs at christmas (they said it, we didnt suggest it) they have back tracked on it (which i have to say annoys me a bit)

but thanks everyone for posts so far all feedback appreciated ;)

SunshineMMum Wed 06-Nov-13 16:11:23

I can see both sides of the argument. Perhaps you could have a family get together before Christmas.

caramelwaffle Wed 06-Nov-13 16:17:08

Yabu.

DixonBainbridge Wed 06-Nov-13 16:36:46

I'd take advantage of it if I were you! Chocolate for breakfast & sitting around in PJs until midday on both days, no exhausting drive!

You may find your DC's will remember the Crimbos the spent with Mum & Dad more than the ones with all the faff!!

Ragwort Wed 06-Nov-13 16:42:52

But why do you have to trail up to the Cotswolds just to see them. different if you hardly ever see them but you said yourself that they live near you and you visit regularly confused.

Anyone else now dreaming of a child free Christmas in the Cotswolds? grin

LillianGish Wed 06-Nov-13 16:57:43

Christmas in the Cotswolds sounds lovely - and that is their Christmas tradition. Be grateful they are not expecting you to trail up there (that would be unreasonable) and make your own Christmas traditions with your dcs instead. Presumably you see them at other times so don't feel hurt - be glad that they are putting you in charge of your own Christmas arrangements, something many mumsnetters would kill for!

LtEveDallas Wed 06-Nov-13 17:03:09

I would be overjoyed if DPILs and DPs said they were doing something else over Xmas. It would mean I got to have a nice quiet Christmas at home and not so quiet NY away without feeling guilty.

Instead we have to travel 250 miles on 22nd, with a boot full of presents and a shed load of clothes. Stay there till Boxing Day then travel 220 miles on 27th with a boot full of presents, shed load of clothes and bin liner of dirty clothes. Stay there till 30th then travel 70 miles with more dirty clothes....Finally have a good time with just the 3 of us and no expectations... Then travel 150 miles home on 1st and I have to go back to work on 3rd.

It's bloody exhausting and makes me wish for a good old fashioned snowy winter so we can say 'sorry, snowed in, can't travel' without feeling guilty.

Holdthepage Wed 06-Nov-13 17:38:17

I have been having my DM & DF for Christmas Day for 28 years, yes 28 years! DM is on her own now & doesn't drive so needs picking up & taking home which means one of us can't even have a glass of wine with the meal. I would love it if just once we could spend the whole day in our own home with no other family commitments.

Just to add that I am not an only child but my DB never ever offers to have her.

Just be grateful OP that your parents are not dependant on you & make their own arrangements, which they are obviously happy with.

SeeYouNT Thu 07-Nov-13 08:12:18

i guess some of it as well is me feeling sad that christmas as i always knew it has changed. and i know thats normal and natural as i am an adult now but my family all carry on without me as normal doing exactly what they have always done, and are not bothered i am not around sad

i miss seeing MY mum and dad at christmas ffs there i have admitted it !!

we will probably end up going to the dreaded MIL's . its ok for DH he gets to see his kids, me AND his parents

i don't like christmas. esp this year as i cant even get pissed ffs

awaynboilyurheid Thu 07-Nov-13 08:34:20

Tried to do all of this too , driving 100 miles to let GP see children they always stayed at my Aunts house over Christmas new Year it was their tradition , but the year my second was born had to rush older daughter opening presents she just wanted to play with her toys but had to get them into car two hour journey got there everyone there fed up with us as they felt we were late arriving , my own daughters baby grumpy eldest fed up as she just wanted her toys realised we had left bag of presents behind for relatives we looked at each other and said enough! So next year we just stayed put and although we didnt see parents it was so relaxing for us all, no rush opening gifts ,dinner when we were ready etc. Parents were a bit sad, and I was too, but they loved going to see my Aunt in countryside so they continued with their tradition which they enjoyed but they always saw the girls a lot the rest of the year so yes in a perfect world it seems a great idea but the reality as you know is very different so just let your parents have their christmas and you have yours , what about a meal after a kind of mini christmas dinner when there is no rush and you can enjoy seeing your mum and dad without all the rest.

diddl Thu 07-Nov-13 09:12:31

When your parents said about not going away until BD-did you suggest seeing them CD?

Can't you stay at home-just you, husband & kids?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now