to ask if you were going on a first date with a solicitor in his 50s (OD of course) what would be good topics of conversation?

(62 Posts)
EllenNotHelen Wed 06-Nov-13 00:34:15

Haven't had date for ages and now I'm about to see this solicitor and I'm getting nervous. We've done the messaging thing and lots of amusing banter, but feeling he might think I'm a bit dim and boring (I'm not, just my insecurities) so thought if I had a few conversation pieces in mind it might help.

<< slopes off feeling sad a pathetic blush >>

KerwhizzedMyself Wed 06-Nov-13 00:37:46

I am useless too so can't help but your username made me smile grin I had a friend called Ellen as a child and whenever we met new people we'd always have the ITS ELLEN NOT HELEN moment haha!

littleoaktree Wed 06-Nov-13 00:44:43

I'm a solicitor and I know plenty of dim and boring solicitors so you might be a good match wink

Joking aside, I'd have thought the same topics as you would use for any first date, there's certainly no magic about solicitors grin

If you do want to ask stuff related to his job then most solicitors have a few stories of nightmare clients/funny cases etc, what area of law is he in?

EllenNotHelen Wed 06-Nov-13 00:50:27

Not sure little. He's mentioned having to go out at short notice sometimes, not sure if that gives any clues.

Caitlin17 Wed 06-Nov-13 00:57:26

I'm a solicitor in my fifties.
We're just like anyone else really.

What would you talk about with any other friends?

Going out at short notice suggests criminal law rather than civil.

The Rebekah Brooks/Coulson trial and Leveson Inquiry. Lots of stuff on Guardian Comment Is Free (opinion columns).
Tv shows he enjoys and whether legal ones are compelling if you're a lawyer.
What was he good/bad at at school.
And the usual: music, favourite food and wine, holidays...

BOF Wed 06-Nov-13 00:59:22

Honestly, just leave it and go with the flow. It's not a job interview.

Gossipyfishwife Wed 06-Nov-13 01:00:49

You could ask him what religion he is, who he votes for, which football team he supports and how much he earns. I've had hundreds of first dates......

(They never seem to want a second one though. Wish I could work it out)

IneedAsockamnesty Wed 06-Nov-13 01:02:18

I would try to avoid any in depth conversations about the pit falls of polyester under garments

LessMissAbs Wed 06-Nov-13 01:41:42

Lord Denning. Google him. (don't forget that he has now passed away).

Mandy2003 Wed 06-Nov-13 04:01:21

Juicy divorces he's been involved with - including his! No, a brief (ha ha) chat about the law, especially why he chose what branch he did?

MusicalEndorphins Wed 06-Nov-13 04:20:50

Rob Ford, Mayor of Toronto...should he be forced out after admitting smoking crack?
www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/mayor-rob-ford-won-t-step-down-despite-crack-use-1.2415533
www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcQANCtegc8

madwomanintheatt1c Wed 06-Nov-13 05:24:49

Your own crack habit?
The fact that you got away with murder because they couldn't find the body?
Your own juicy divorce?

I've never dated a solicitor, but I know a few. I'd probably advise steering well clear of 'pet' topics unless you want to be the one sneaking out of the bog window... alternatively, if arguing into the wee small hours because neither of you will admit you are wrong, fill your boots...

Rob Ford is a fruitcake <gavel>
He makes Boris look positively sane.

Kiwiinkits Wed 06-Nov-13 06:35:10

ask him whether he enjoyed law school and why.

Kiwiinkits Wed 06-Nov-13 06:36:07

and, what does he think of the 'new generation' of lawyers coming throuugh the system? Good, great, terrible?

Auntidote Wed 06-Nov-13 06:43:08

A surprising number of clever men seem to like dim and boring so you may be in luck. wink

Seriously, just be yourself. No point acting a part if you can't keep it up forever. Or pretending great knowledge of legal matters if you don't have them. Asking people about their work is a safe bet but he may well not be defined by it.

sofahogger Wed 06-Nov-13 06:55:48

Keep it more general, hobbies,favourite food, film etc. I'm sure with being at work all day he doesn't want to talk about it on his date too. Just be yourself and if the chemistry is right the conversation will flow automatically.
I once had a date with a fireman and not once mentioned his job on first date. Even though I was dying to see him in his kit.

Lavenderhoney Wed 06-Nov-13 06:58:36

I dated a solicitor. He was quite normal and thankfully I didn't ever feel the urge to swot up on the broadsheets before a datesmile

Just normal chat, I suppose. Not like a job interviewsmile I expect he's nervous too.

MistAllChuckingFrighty Wed 06-Nov-13 07:22:25

Are solicitors not part of the rest of the human race then ?

Don't sound so star struck, that would be a start. They are no more intelligent/amusing/dull/special than anyone else.

HarryStottle Wed 06-Nov-13 07:29:46

Solicitors comprise a very broad church. He could be a criminal lawyer and existing on legal aid for his income; a corporate lawyer earning mega-bucks in the city; a conveyancing solicitor with some very dull anecdotes to tell; a child-care lawyer in local gov; a welfare rights lawyer.
Politically he could be on either end of the spectrum, and his motivation to have gone into law could have been a strong sense of justice and wanting to fight for the underdog; or to earn lots of money and have status.
His income could range from £30k (yes really) to six-figures.

So just be yourself on your date and don't worry about what you "should" say. Good luck!

lottiegarbanzo Wed 06-Nov-13 07:37:09

So a bloke, with a job, then?

Probably not his job, at any length, as like most people, he probably wants to escape it in his social life, or, if he does want to discuss to at length, he's probably a work-obsessed bore!

I have to admit though, my first thought / hope was wine. Otherwise, you know, pastimes, travel, film, cinema, books...

MusicalEndorphins Wed 06-Nov-13 07:37:18

Rob Ford is a fruitcake <gavel>
I second that! <gavel>

lottiegarbanzo Wed 06-Nov-13 07:37:33

I meant film and theatre!

FudgefaceMcZ Wed 06-Nov-13 07:47:02

My 'boyfriend' is a solicitor. I can't remember first date, think we talked about mad work colleagues and the crapness of the recession meaning everyone was on temp contracts. Er planning law is a great topic, can go on for hours (take a book or something to read under table). Otherwise, I dunno, they watch telly and have families and things like everyone else, should be fairly easy to find some topic of conversation.

Brittabot Wed 06-Nov-13 07:52:58

Why have you mentioned his being a solicitor? Just have a few topics of conversation in reserve just in case there are any awkward silences (music, books, food?). Enjoy your date!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now