To think people who call themselves mummy and daddy to their pets are just WEIRD?!

(80 Posts)
writingmynamewithsparklers Tue 05-Nov-13 22:46:46

Sorry, I know this is probably controversial and I'm donning my flameproof pants just in case it is but it just sounds WEIRD.
I see it on FB all the time by some couple (yes, it's a FB thread too. grin )
Pics of dogs/cats with captions and comments such as "being good for mummy" "having cuddles with Daddy."
It's. A. Dog. cat,dog, snake, rabbit, whatever
Makes you sound a tad strange. grin

Iwouldratherbemuckingout Wed 06-Nov-13 12:40:29

YANBU to find it weird, there are many things perfectly normal people do that I find very weird, and each to there own.

However, my whole family is bonkers in terms of the cats AND the horses, we are definetly Mummy and Dad to the cats, my Mum even sends them a Christmas card from grandma!!!!

I'm Mum to the horses, my Mum is Grandma, and my friends are Aunties! Tis fairly normal round our way.

I think more than anything it reflects the deep emotional connection people have with their animals, and the huge place they have in our lives and our hearts. After all its a relationship based on two way affection, both cats and horses!

Dahlen Wed 06-Nov-13 12:43:41

I don't have a problem with this. It's just a term of endearment, isn't it. Much like a nickname for a friend or a petname for a partner.

What I don't like though is people who treat their pets as substitute babies/children, because this can be quite unsettling and cruel for some animals and result in behavioural problems - particularly in dogs.

Pigsmummy Wed 06-Nov-13 13:19:27

I am Mummy cat at home, it's fun and hurting no one. Daddy cat doesn't mind either. YABU, live and let live

HellonHeels Wed 06-Nov-13 13:35:43

My Boo Boo loves his mummy (me)! He purrs loudly and headbutts me when I babytalk to him. He also likes being sung to. Fatty cat adores her Cat Daddy (DH), squeaks at him for attention and quivers her tail in happiness when she gets love and fussing.

My mum is Cat Grandma when she comes to visit.

I don't care at all if people think I'm weird. It's normal for me grin

Loving the animal family stories on this thread.

6cats3gingerkittens Wed 06-Nov-13 14:55:46

All these lovely catly posts. The 3 ginger kittens live with their real mum and dad, Isabella and Benson. I am not their mummy, just the human who loves them. However, I do have a friend who sent a welcome to the world card and two beautiful fleece baby blankets with love from auntie Lin.
So they aren't without human relatives entirely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now