To think people who call themselves mummy and daddy to their pets are just WEIRD?!

(80 Posts)
writingmynamewithsparklers Tue 05-Nov-13 22:46:46

Sorry, I know this is probably controversial and I'm donning my flameproof pants just in case it is but it just sounds WEIRD.
I see it on FB all the time by some couple (yes, it's a FB thread too. grin )
Pics of dogs/cats with captions and comments such as "being good for mummy" "having cuddles with Daddy."
It's. A. Dog. cat,dog, snake, rabbit, whatever
Makes you sound a tad strange. grin

FreudiansSlipper Tue 05-Nov-13 22:49:52

i talk to my cat in that itsy bitsy baby talk way

he loves his mummy grin

Anchoress Tue 05-Nov-13 22:51:27

YANBU. But I am not the right person to ask, as my toddler calls me by my first name...

BlueJess Tue 05-Nov-13 22:52:40

I suppose they aren't doing any harm but it does tend to be the same people who post way too many cat
pictures on fb.

Way too many = more than none btw...

AgentZigzag Tue 05-Nov-13 22:55:29

We made a deliberate decision not to be weirdos do this when we got DDog, although I have baby talked to her occasionally when nobody's around grin

She promised never to spill.

thehorridestmumintheworld Tue 05-Nov-13 22:55:30

Sorry I do it too, but it was dh who started it the big soppy.

AgentZigzag Tue 05-Nov-13 22:56:02

I had to give her cheese though to ensure her silence hmm

pianodoodle Tue 05-Nov-13 22:57:25

YANBU but that's all I'm saying.

I've had enough truck with over zealous animal enthusiasts here recently to keep me going for a while.

I wish you luck grin

MildDrPepperAddiction Tue 05-Nov-13 22:57:56

YANBU. I love my dog, but I am not her mother. She is our much loved pet. People referring to themselves as the dogs parents are odd IMO.

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Tue 05-Nov-13 22:58:00

So I'm wierd. What's new?

Don't do it in public though.

Mmelindor Tue 05-Nov-13 23:00:24

Well, I call myself 'Mama' when speaking to the dog.

Its not that I think of her as my baby no, no. NOT AT ALL but what else would I call myself?

The Germans say 'Herrchen' and 'Frauchen', which I quite like.

LondonNinja Tue 05-Nov-13 23:00:59

YANBU. It's cringeworthy.

Ludoole Tue 05-Nov-13 23:02:25

I do it because the kids call me mum and the dog knows me by that name because they say it so damn much

DramaAlpaca Tue 05-Nov-13 23:04:16

YANBU. I love my pets dearly, but in no way am I their mum!

LadyVetinari Tue 05-Nov-13 23:06:48

I do, but my parrot is imprinted so she really does think we're her parents.

I get more weirded out when a friend of mine posts more pictures of her dogs than her new baby, AND calls the dogs her babies...

Morloth Tue 05-Nov-13 23:08:41

It is a bit weird, but hey doesn't matter.

Thinking about it, I tend to think of our cat as one of the 'adults' in the house.

Which is probably just as weird.

Amy106 Tue 05-Nov-13 23:17:28

I don't do it myself but I really don't mind what they call themselves as long as they take good care of their animals.

Maryz Tue 05-Nov-13 23:21:12

Hey, piano, what are you doing on another animal thread.

Will you never learn. [tsk]

sparklers, YAdefNBU, but I'm sure someone will be along soon to call you an animal murderer hater.

Hegsy Tue 05-Nov-13 23:27:12

YABVU you have no ideas for the motives behind being 'mummy' and 'daddy' after 4 years ttc the cat and the rabbit are the only children I'm likely to have yes they are wasted but they give me lots of affection in return and the cat especially has comforted me lots......whether he realises it or not.

sparklysilversequins Tue 05-Nov-13 23:30:56

I have made up a growly little voice for my dog. When I talk to him I answer for him using the voice. We have quite good conversations and yes, he calls me Mummy.

Heathcliff27 Tue 05-Nov-13 23:33:35

Yes a bit strange, so are the husbands and wives who call each other mummy and daddy

JoinYourPlayfellows Tue 05-Nov-13 23:34:24

"When I talk to him I answer for him using the voice. We have quite good conversations and yes, he calls me Mummy."

grin

Heathcliff27 Tue 05-Nov-13 23:34:31

Each to their own though i suppose

Still18atheart Tue 05-Nov-13 23:41:28

Errrrmmmm I'm going to be a right hypocrite and say YANBU blush

It's been a thing with my parents dog that I am it's sister I was 10 when it was born so so at the time I thought it was cute. This means by default that my parents are ddog's Mummy and Daddy. And thus with regards to the dog thats what they are referred as.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now