To still feel disturbed about this nursery.

(280 Posts)
MrsDrRanj Tue 05-Nov-13 22:43:16

This has been bugging me on and off for years, one of those things where I feel like I should 'do' something because it just doesn't settle in my mind well.

5 years ago, when I was 17, I got an apprenticeship at a nursery through a training course. I'd never had a job, hadn't finished school and was recovering from a breakdown so it was a big deal to me. I was naive and very nervous.

Things happened while I was there that now really bother me, especially as a parent who may have to find a nursery for ds one day.

There was an incident with 2 other apprentices having a shouting match infront of pre school children, including calling eachother 'slags' etc. they were not fired and parents were not informed.

The manager came into the room I worked in and loudly discussed the children's progress infront of them, including declaring that a little boys speech wasn't as it should be and she had suspicions he was colour blind (right infront of the little boy who was 3)

One man punished a preschool boy who suffered with constipation for having an accident by forcing him into a nappy that was too small for him. The boy was screaming and in the end there was poo everywhere including the little boys hair. Another member of staff came and shouted at him but nothing else was done. (I have recently read in the news that this man has now been convicted with voyeurism and possessing indecent images of children which made me go cold)

When I was invited on a work dinner out the leader of the preschool room spent a lot of the night doing impersonations of the children, including taking the piss out of a little girl for not understanding much when English was not her first language.

In general the nursery was badly managed, people were bitchy and mean, apprentices were left in charge when they shouldn't have been etc and thankfully I didn't stay there long. But it still bothers me. The nursery is still running and though there's a chance the staff may have moved on there could also be the same people working there.

The nursery had been rated 'outstanding' by ofsted and was part of a high end chain of nurseries. It has left me terrified of putting DS in nursery as id be devastated if any of the above situations involved my child. I feel awful for not doing anything at the time but I was so inexperienced.

Would you do something now? And if so what? I don't want it to bug me forever I just can't seem to shake it from my mind.

janey68 Sun 10-Nov-13 12:00:31

I think the best case scenario is going to be different depending on the family and child, because children are unique, family situations are unique and there is no one size fits all.

Personally returning to work earlier than a year worked out well for me, and I'm not convinced that I'd take a whole year off even if it had been available, I think 12 months is a very difficult age to start leaving a child from the separation perspective. But it's horses for courses. My teenage children have friends who were in nursery full time, part time, at cm, and with SAHP and there is no noticeable difference in outcomes which could be linked to their care. And that, ultimately, is what matters.

Goldmandra Sun 10-Nov-13 12:30:36

I think the best case scenario is going to be different depending on the family and child, because children are unique, family situations are unique and there is no one size fits all.

Of course.

anewyear Sun 10-Nov-13 12:56:27

This thread has made me feel sad.

I have had tons of childcare experiance in one way or another (Nanny, Assistant to Matron, Youth Worker, Learning support Assistant, Childminder, Pre School Practitioner) over the years.

Many many moons ago, I had 2 great years at college hoping to qualify as an NNEB, but due to circumstances at home at the time, I failed my course and due to those circumstances wasnt able to go back for the 3 months requested and resit.

In April of this year I passed my level 3.
A big acheivement for me, because I found it hard going.
To now be told that apparently a level 3 is not worth the paper it written on. Thanks.

I have worked as a Childminder for the last 5 1/2 years, jumping through hoops for Ofsted, going on courses to continue my Professional Development, this all after the kids have gone home 6.15ish, and my own family fed and watered for less than minimum wage, not that Im complaining as such, I knew it was low paid when I started. The last 3 however have been after school children only, as I also work in privatly owned Pre School during the day.
We are all mums over 30, with children ranging from 3 - 15.
1 NNEB the manager, 3 level 3s and a 5th who has just joined us and is looking at colleges to start her journey in gaining a childcare qualification.
We also have the child of a senior member of staff with us, unfortunately its not wonderfull in this case!!!

I think I can safely say for my collegues and I, that we love our job and it saddens me to think there are some awfull settings/owners out there, that give the rest of us a bad name..

Moldingsunbeam do you mind if Im nosey and how it is that you did both the NNEB and the Level 3?

Goldmandra Sun 10-Nov-13 13:59:56

it saddens me to think there are some awfull settings/owners out there, that give the rest of us a bad name.

I don't think practitioners like you (and me) get a bad name as a result of other people's poor practice. It's pretty clear that the vast majority of posters on here fully appreciate the quality of care children get in many settings and that the poor practitioners are in the minority.

The concern is that those poor practitioners do exists and the culture in some settings supports them.

I just wish there was a reliable way to ensure that those people are swiftly weeded out and some way for parents to know for sure what is happening to their children.

Maryann1975 Sun 10-Nov-13 14:23:53

I worked in an 'outstanding' private day nursery once, for about 12 months straight from school. My children have never and will never be left in a day nursery based on that. The parents thought it was a lovely place, which at pick up and drop off time it was, it was the bits in the middle that were the problem. I was young and naive at the time. My mum did report them to social services, who came round and deemed everything to be fine hmm on the day they visited. I have little faith in the ofsted grading system for this reason.
Op, it's not your fault you did nothing, but I don't think there is much you can do about it now. Do you still work in childcare? Learn from what happened and be the best child carer that you can be and make sure the children in your care have the best possible childhood that you can.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now