Told ''my fault'" by checkout lady

(104 Posts)
Icepickinyourheadofthepops Tue 05-Nov-13 14:40:27

She told me "it's not my fault it's taking so long". I said "nor mine".. She said "isn't it?"!!!! (I was going to add 'these must be v faffy to do, this will teach me to do baking)' ..Had vouchers from shops own supplement for baking. Used them, she apologised every 30 seconds to two other customers for it taking 'so long' ( I had a full basket). I had packed up the wrong almonds (Same packaging).. And went back v quickly to swap as she had already swiped voucher.

Was so upset as a customer two behind was really arsy too and another old couple left and then the lady kept glaring back at me.

I chose a quiet time, 9am tues, and put voucher with relevant products ..

Didn't even take that long but she was so busy apologising to the two people waiting.
Still Can't believe how rude she was and how small she made me feel for using vouchers. Really passive agressive in the 'isn't it' accusation.

I complained at customer services but wondered if everyone agrees this comment was quite foul?

MrsS grin

Thewhingingdefective Wed 06-Nov-13 09:54:00

She sounds like a fucking knob. No need for anyone to get huffy over someone buying a basket of shopping and using vouchers.

MrsDoomsPatterson Wed 06-Nov-13 09:45:45

If frozen stuff is picked 12 hours before nogravitarse surely it's stored in the freezer?!

mitchsta Wed 06-Nov-13 09:43:35

My DH's response to "sorry about your wait!" is "are you calling me fat?". He thinks it is hilarious - I am always mortified!

Hahahaha! Brilliant.

TheOriginalSteamingNit Wed 06-Nov-13 09:36:55

That was rude... I'd've been getting annoyed by the Wrong Almonds, though!

Our Waitrose staff are all lovely except for Mardy Barbara, who is incredibly sour-faced and grumpy. I always sort of want to complain, but never do.

Icepickinyourheadofthepops Wed 06-Nov-13 09:32:51

Sounds like a few of our stores have a share of 'older' grumps. Only because in direct comparison the younger staff / and at risk of sounding pervy! The younger guys are v keen and helpful. Or maybe just the older grumpy staff make their presence felt that it seems there are more of them. Am sure there are lovely older staff there too. Certainly not looking to cast aspersions or make sweeping generalisations.

Chippednailvarnish Wed 06-Nov-13 09:24:09

The right side of 50 is the polite side. My local Waitrose seems to have set out to employ people of the Victor Meldew mould.
Which is strange give that other shops such as B&Q like mature employees because of their customer service skills.

coffeeinbed Wed 06-Nov-13 08:33:01

Well, it does worry me a bit, but no, it's not wrong the side, I just wanted to say that hopefully we'll all go there.
Just early morning train brain.

coffeeinbed Wed 06-Nov-13 08:29:32

And what's wrong with earning over 80 grand?
I don't, but I would love to.

Beccagain Wed 06-Nov-13 08:24:18

What's the right side of fifty? And what happens when we go to the wrong side?

Luvvit Coffee, though your second question implies that you think the wrong side is over 50.

In my experience you could not be more wrong. I would not go back to my 20s 30s 40s for quids!! The only thing that bothers me about my age is that there's probably more behind me than ahead!

prettybird Wed 06-Nov-13 08:08:34

You absolutely should use the Waitrosw vouchers for baking again.

Why should you lose out (and Waitrose gain) because of their poor employee choice customer service? hmmangry

coffeeinbed Wed 06-Nov-13 08:02:13

What's the right side of fifty?
And what happens when we go to the wrong side?

MrsS1980 Tue 05-Nov-13 23:00:23

My DH's response to "sorry about your wait!" is "are you calling me fat?". He thinks it is hilarious - I am always mortified!

Worriedkat Tue 05-Nov-13 22:47:20

Dad not sad

Worriedkat Tue 05-Nov-13 22:46:21

My DH likes to take our three under 8 kids into waitrose as often as possible. He has a sweepstake with another sad as to who can build up the highest number of tuts and sighs from the other customers in my waitrose without exception all over 55 daily mail readers

My DH is winning as one customer whispered to her friend that 'her husbands tax money was paying for those children's sweets' hmm

Bloody awful place if you're the right side of 50 and earn less than 80k a year.

saintmerryweather Tue 05-Nov-13 22:39:15

id have said 'ive changed my mind i did want the other almonds' then sauntered back the chamge them. and id definitely have complained

midwifeandmum Tue 05-Nov-13 22:36:24

Waitrose is an overpriced shithole. Asda cust serv is ok here, tesco - shit, co-op - very rude ignorant people.

My local tesco express has lovely shop as is my local corner shop. Their so friendly and helpful.

Shout out for corner shops

tiggytape Tue 05-Nov-13 22:33:54

She was really rude. Yes it is annoying for the person behind that you got the wrong (but almost identical item) adding 20 seconds to their day.
However this wasn't the main cause of the overall delay. The main cause was the cashier scanning each voucher before each (correct) item could go through the till. This is the system Waitrose have chosen for their baking offers and it probably does add a lot of extra time at tills - hardly the customer's fault.

If she had said "now are you going to get the right item or do I have to get someone over" to me I'd have totally stunned and later pretty furious. That is just out and out rude let alone all the added eye rolling and dramatic apologising to the people behind.

It isn't compulsory that she is jolly but is is expected that she is at least basically polite. You are a customer just as much as the person in the queue behind. I think any store (and not just a posh one!) would be horrified to hear a customer had been spoken to so rudely.

Icepickinyourheadofthepops Tue 05-Nov-13 22:23:49

She said 'now are you going to get the right item or do I have to get someone over'.

I was a bit eek at the tone she said that with bit was really taken a back at the isn't it.

I wouldn't go to her till again bit hope she has a lovely career there. I won't be using their vouchers again and wil carry on being a model customer.

Polishes halo. Night all shock

Icepickinyourheadofthepops Tue 05-Nov-13 22:20:56

Sooty, yes totally I do. All the time. I phone if not poss to speak in store and give persons name. Was in wickes and the poor checkout girl got effed and blinded at by a guy who couldn't prove his trade discount.

She was so upset and after chatting and having a bit of a laugh I got in and phoned main customer services to say how awful it was that she had this and she said it wasn't the first time.

Am a great believer in feedback.

On this occasion the manager happened to be there and I guess his reaction and response show that her attitude wasn't in line with his and the store.

As I say have worked in stores too.

Chippednailvarnish Tue 05-Nov-13 22:15:51

Frankly if she had been that rude to me, I would have asked her to get someone over to change the items for me. That would have given her something else to moan about. grin

ilovesooty Tue 05-Nov-13 22:13:35

I don't know why you're still stewing about it. Sound like an everyday case of some mild to moderate snark, which you complained about to her manager, and no doubt she'll now get a bollocking. Job done

Exactly. Stewing over it later seems a bit of an overreaction to me.

Actually, I find myself wondering if people who are quick to complain ever approach customer services to praise the person who served them? When I did this in Sainsburys a few weeks ago the manager thanked me, said he'd pass the feedback on and remarked sadly that positive feedback was rare.

Icepickinyourheadofthepops Tue 05-Nov-13 22:13:29

Picking one item wrongly when v similar is not reason to be publicly ticked off. She initiated the conversation about fault and even then I tried to find a middle ground by saying the coupons were slow to scan and a faff for her to do. She told me that the delay was entirely due to having 'a wrong item'. 20 seconds.

Plenty of cases we've obviously all had of much more faffy or to use your phrase a bit crap shoppers.

The woman was plain rude.

Icepickinyourheadofthepops Tue 05-Nov-13 22:08:57

I feel very sad about the old man. Clearly worse than my situation. No excuse for rudeness at all.

On the point about why I'm still whinging, I thought I'd do an AIBU to see what folk thought. And yes it did actually upset me. The lady was determined to make me feel uncomfortable and succeeded.

Some days these things get to you more than others.

notthefirstagainstthewall Tue 05-Nov-13 22:06:52

f you are being a bit crap in a supermarket though (which 'm sure we all have been) then at least admit it to yourself.

I would agree the cashier should have said nothing but it would have been too much for me if the Op had told me it "wasn't her fault" when it bloody well is.
And if you're running late for work, maybe don't go to the supermarket? doubt the elderly couple in the Op's post were off to work. But hey, if you are first in the queue so you can cram as much as you want in your basket and then change whats in there to slow everything down why not?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now