Told ''my fault'" by checkout lady

(104 Posts)
Icepickinyourheadofthepops Tue 05-Nov-13 14:40:27

She told me "it's not my fault it's taking so long". I said "nor mine".. She said "isn't it?"!!!! (I was going to add 'these must be v faffy to do, this will teach me to do baking)' ..Had vouchers from shops own supplement for baking. Used them, she apologised every 30 seconds to two other customers for it taking 'so long' ( I had a full basket). I had packed up the wrong almonds (Same packaging).. And went back v quickly to swap as she had already swiped voucher.

Was so upset as a customer two behind was really arsy too and another old couple left and then the lady kept glaring back at me.

I chose a quiet time, 9am tues, and put voucher with relevant products ..

Didn't even take that long but she was so busy apologising to the two people waiting.
Still Can't believe how rude she was and how small she made me feel for using vouchers. Really passive agressive in the 'isn't it' accusation.

I complained at customer services but wondered if everyone agrees this comment was quite foul?

DameDeepRedBetty Tue 05-Nov-13 16:40:11

Of shops I regularly use or used in the past, the order of customer service is

Top - Morrisons
Second - Waitrose
Third - Lidl
Fourth - Asda
Fifth - Sainsburys
Sixth and by a very very long way - Tesco.

There are individual staff in all the weaker ones who will go the extra mile etc, but the culture in the bottom three always feels like the customer is always wrong. Just try getting a refund at any of them, you will be treated as a liar until proven otherwise.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 05-Nov-13 16:42:23

I doubt you will see that checkout person again. JLP are very quick at removing people who don't correctly project the correct image.

CiderBomb Tue 05-Nov-13 16:54:59

Totally agree about Morrisons Dame. I think they have the most helpful and pleasant staff of the four main supermarkets. I also find M&S Food staff very nice as well.

With Sainsbury's it depends on what mood they are in, although I've heard they treat their staff badly so that might explain it.

ASDA staff are fucking rude. The self service till broke down there when I was using it once and the staff huffed and puffed like it my fault, they never spoke to me once whilst "fixing" it. Tesco are not much better.

mitchsta Tue 05-Nov-13 16:56:07

That is really rude. Side-tracking slightly, but I hate it when the cashier can see that you've just arrived and says "sorry for your wait" despite you being there for all of 30 seconds. An apology is fine if needed, but I don't like cashiers apologising for the "delay" when paying customers are still within earshot - like them being there before me has been a massive inconvenience. It seems like "sorry" has been replaced "hi/hello" nowadays.

I'd have been embarrassed if I was behind you in the queue and was getting "sorry" every 30 seconds from her. Not only was she rude to you... it probably fuelled the person who was being arsey, who would not have otherwise had anyone confirming that she was right to be so impatient. And someone else should've gone to get the correct product. The silly cow.

JaquelineHyde Tue 05-Nov-13 17:00:18

Love the shop snobbery on this thread!

Everyone expecting it to be Asda or Tesco and then being horrified at it being Waitrose.

mitchsta Tue 05-Nov-13 17:00:32

* "sorry" has been replaced BY "hi/hello" nowadays...

mitchsta Tue 05-Nov-13 17:01:31

FFS! "sorry" has REPLACED "hi/hello" nowadays...

mitchsta Tue 05-Nov-13 17:02:21

Have always found the staff in Aldi really, really helpful / friendly.

DuckToWater Tue 05-Nov-13 17:03:17

An assistant was rude in WAITROSE?!!

faints

Littleen Tue 05-Nov-13 17:06:04

Sounds very rude, good on you for complaining! Someone said UK has bad customer service - I've been around a lot in Europe (am not English), and UK is the best I've come across, way ahead of my own country! smile

noblegiraffe Tue 05-Nov-13 17:07:03

I was annoyed in the Co-op the other day when I bought a few pieces, asked for a bag, he just chucked the bag on top of my shopping, then stood there slack-jawed (actually!) while I juggled my wallet and a baby, then struggled to get the bag open and put my shopping in. There was a queue.
At Tesco next door they automatically put your stuff in a bag for you, and it's cheaper!

Naoko Tue 05-Nov-13 17:07:04

Is everyone's asda really so awful? One opened in our town a few months ago, we didn't have one before, and the staff are so nice! I love going there, they're by far the most helpful and cheerful of all the supermarkets in town. Shortest checkout queues too, they always seem to have loads of tills open.

Icepickinyourheadofthepops Tue 05-Nov-13 17:12:47

Mitchsta I hate the sorry for keeping you line too when the checkout person is apologising for you having been so insolent as to buy something and get to the till before the poor soul who has to wait for you to finish.

Will be just my luck this woman hangs on there and drives me out of popping in there. Still, hardly the biggest problem on here today is it.

nancerama Tue 05-Nov-13 17:13:12

The assistants at the unwelcome desk in our local Waitrose are absolutely vile - without exception. They are a bit of a standing joke in our town - at least they make the doctors receptionists look lovely.

I've taken to driving to the next town to a naicer Waitrose where everyone is lovely.

Isthatwhatdemonsdo Tue 05-Nov-13 17:13:43

With Sainsbury's it depends on what mood they are in, although I've heard they treat their staff badly so that might explain it.

Awful, Awful company to work for.

Putitonthelist Tue 05-Nov-13 17:15:06

Agree mitchsta the last few times I've been in M&S they've apologised for my wait - which was all of 30 seconds. I'm guessing that's what they're told to say these days.

cocolepew Tue 05-Nov-13 17:17:00

The staff in the Adsa in my town are lovely. Tesco not so much hmm.

Icepickinyourheadofthepops Tue 05-Nov-13 17:17:39

Nancerama are you talking about a store where there is a boots and walkway leading down to the library? And Iceland across the road?

brunette123 Tue 05-Nov-13 17:22:38

I have more than once felt that some of the staff in my local Waitrose are a bit snooty and unhelpful but some have been great. I think though that Waitrose, more than Sains/Tesco/Asda/Morrisons "sell" themselves on great customer service so that is why I feel especially peeved when they are rude.

nancerama Tue 05-Nov-13 17:25:54

Icepick - it's the very same branch!

The wine tasting lady is lovely though, isn't she?

Icepickinyourheadofthepops Tue 05-Nov-13 17:27:25

Not seen her alas .. But agreed re the desk. The young girls are good I find but older lady, curly grey hair. Gives me nightmares. So unfriendly. And grudging.

diddl Tue 05-Nov-13 17:27:46

I think that she was wrong in what she said, but I think that you were both at fault in that she swiped the vouchers before checking & you had to fetch the correct item!

Icepickinyourheadofthepops Tue 05-Nov-13 17:35:03

Nope I take no share of fault. I care fully picked the right blackberries (frozen not fresh) and various other items. I just missed the word toasted on packet of almonds having never bought them before. Same colour packaging and style displayed right alongside others. Easy mistake and an honest one. She had no intention of asking a colleague to grab them. Just used it as a reason to get me away so she could get in another slagging me off to the grumpy lady on queue who was already late for work.

Grumpy lady should have gone to express till which was open despite thee being only one or two main tills and no queue there when I looked. She was just peed off with herself for plumping for wrong queue. Doesn't give either of them a reason to treat me the way they did. It was. V much older ladies ganging up. Never going to be like that myself in a few years.

FeckOffCup Tue 05-Nov-13 17:35:10

The service in asda near me is ok, morrisons is brilliant, aldi's is good and the co-op is awful, stood there 20 minutes waiting to get served last week as 3 staff were stood chatting round one till, that seems fairly standard there. We don't have a waitrose, never been in one as the nearest is 40 miles away.

Icepickinyourheadofthepops Tue 05-Nov-13 17:37:27

Have found aldi good too,don't go to m&s as always got food at full price but on last day or indeed over

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now