I think Mothercare's toy display reinforces outdated gender stereotypes

(155 Posts)
plumrose Tue 05-Nov-13 11:38:47

I went in to mothercare recently to buy a present for my friend's first grandchild. I noticed the toys were displayed as 'girls' and 'boys' toys with large signage on the wall above. I could not believe this could be acceptable. I have sent a facebook message to mothercare and the response I got makes it clear they will not pay attention to my one message. Please get out there and either contact this retailer or boycott them until they stop this retrograde and frankly offensive way of displaying their toys.

noblegiraffe Wed 06-Nov-13 12:54:18

My DS apparently liked playing with the baby dolls at pre-school, which was encouraged because he had a sister on the way.

No bullying resulted.

ErrolTheDragon Wed 06-Nov-13 12:56:53

No child should 'endure years of bullying' for anything.

3bunnies Wed 06-Nov-13 12:57:29

But Dull I think that you are likely to make things worse - children enjoy different things - imagine you go to collect your ds from nursery - he wants to show you his favourite toy which turns out to be a doll - maybe because it is novel and he's never been able to play with one before. If you say 'oh that's lovely ds one day you will be a good Daddy' he goes away happy - mummy likes his toy.

If instead you say 'oh no ds that toy is only for girls' he thinks oh no - mummy says that toy is just for girls to enjoy and play with but I like playing with the doll, oh maybe I'm not a real boy, maybe if I like girl stuff then I'm less a boy and more a girl.

I'm not saying that you should dash out and buy him the pinkest sparkliest doll, bath, highchair, buggy etc when all he likes is trains, but you need to consider relaxing your views a bit otherwise you could store up issues later.

plumrose Wed 06-Nov-13 13:42:59

Hi LetToysbeToys I am rarely in Brighton but if I am I will take a picture. I have written to mothercare's head office to ask if this is company policy and will let you know what the reply is via Facebook.

jellybeans Wed 06-Nov-13 23:34:45

All 3 of my sons played with (and had their own) dolls, pushchairs etc. Had their nails painted. Didn't do any harm whatsoever. And have not been bullied! But if they were it has probably come from attitudes such as those up thread who said they would worry if their boys played with dolls!

Psychological studies have shown that often mothers encourage and praise boys for playing with typical 'girls' toys yet fathers mock or ridicule it. Yet girls could play with either. This needs to be tackled. I would have gone mad if DH mocked my DSs for playing with dolls etc. How ignorant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now