Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think this year's M&S 'festive' advert is utter garbage?

(105 Posts)
EweHaveGoatToBeKiddin Tue 05-Nov-13 09:59:39

www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7Xw1IL3oh0

Disclaimer: remember i said festive and not the C-word.

I cringed the whole way through. The only performance from Helena Bonham Carter that I've disliked. Roll on the John Lewis one. grin

alwaysonmymind Tue 05-Nov-13 11:12:05

She has designed an underwear range for m&s so she is probably wearing those!

Nanny0gg Tue 05-Nov-13 11:16:52

Not one of their best.

Dull.

They should talk to the agency that does the John Lewis or Aldi ads. Either beautifully scripted or funny.

ShadeofViolet Tue 05-Nov-13 11:17:33

I was going to say that its probably the underwear range she has designed that she is wearing.

Also, isnt David Gandy always in his pants for Armani. Maybe he isn't allowed to do any more pant displaying adverts.

TinyDiamond Tue 05-Nov-13 11:25:43
DitsyDonkey Tue 05-Nov-13 11:26:14

Oh love it!

I love it. Its done what its supposed to which is glam up M&S after their shocking sales and the fact that its really failing in the fashion stakes.

I think there will be others as that didn't involve kids. Usually they have a couple of shorter versions focusing on the other main departments.

Lambzig Tue 05-Nov-13 11:31:58

I like it, doesn't make me want to shop there, but I liked the ad.

PoppyAmex Tue 05-Nov-13 11:35:06

Surely because M&S is mainly known for their lingerie/underwear products?

I'm forrin and although we didn't have an M&S in my country, I knew about their knickers grin

kelda Tue 05-Nov-13 11:35:24

I must be the only mumsnetter who likes M&S clothes. I have just bought their festive grey robin jumper. The only Christmas jumper I have ever owned.

I disagree with the comment about their sizes - I find their sizes very generous - definitely a case of vanity sizing.

I thought it was okay. I really like the lidl advert that's on now, or is it aldi? the one with all the food and has a version of a one direction song, that's festive.

When will the John Lewis one be on? This weekend maybe?

EyeOfNewtBigtoesOfFrog Tue 05-Nov-13 11:37:43

What a total dog's breakfast - far too complicated yet nothing happens. There should be one, big, simple, emotional idea and stirring music, like the JL snowman one. I think this could have been good if she had just fallen into a magical party where we saw tons of fab clothes and amazing food and hot blokes, and then she woke up on xmas morning with snow falling or something.

(Obviously I am wasted pootling about here and M&S must hire me at once as a highly paid consultant!)

Bonham Carter was the only good thing in it IMO, stole the show.

kelda Tue 05-Nov-13 11:38:54

Just seen the advert - I quite like it.

Grennie Tue 05-Nov-13 11:40:06

Kelda - I like M and S clothes too. I find their sizing strange though. In some ranges there is clearly vanity sizing operating. And in other ranges it seems to be normal sizes.

I am actually wearing at the moment both a M & S top and trousers.

kelda Tue 05-Nov-13 11:42:03

I'm wearing M&S 12 pounds black jeans, bought three years ago, and still great.

Fleta Tue 05-Nov-13 11:43:39

I'm going to start shopping at M&S if they're selling Helena Bonham Carter.

That little smile she gives at the end <drool>

Grennie Tue 05-Nov-13 11:45:33

I think the quality of their clothes had went way down. But they have improved the quality loads again. I had stopped buying clothes there because of that, and I wonder if others had too.

SolomanDaisy Tue 05-Nov-13 11:45:49

It's great! Really clever and stylish. I love all the 'Christmas' film references.

Grennie Tue 05-Nov-13 11:46:11

Fleta - Joking about buying women isn't funny.

ShadeofViolet Tue 05-Nov-13 11:49:18

Well just to balance it out, I will buy David Gandy.

Bluemonkeyspots Tue 05-Nov-13 11:50:18

Someone mentioned about buying the male model up thread. Just incase anyone wants to get their knickers in a twist over that! hmm

DuchessFanny Tue 05-Nov-13 11:50:43

Liked it ! But will probably love the JL one when it comes out

CeliaFate Tue 05-Nov-13 11:54:05

I loved it. Really festive, I thought it had a great feel to it, looked stylish and interesting.

EssexGurl Tue 05-Nov-13 11:56:08

I loved it - apart from Rosie in her bra and knickers!

Fleta Tue 05-Nov-13 11:57:24

Yes Grennie, because clearly I'm serious. Is there an eyeroll icon?

And someone mentioned purchasing David Gandy further up the thread.....

Lighten up.

I really like it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now