To think golliwogs are fucking racist

(447 Posts)
MuffCakes Tue 05-Nov-13 09:41:28

Big debate going on atm apparently I'm to pc brigade as I think they're vile symbols of racism.

IamGluezilla Tue 05-Nov-13 09:43:46

Aren't they rather historical at this stage or am I just being naive!

Careca Tue 05-Nov-13 09:47:11

Yes vile

Yanbu

DiscoBiscuits Tue 05-Nov-13 09:47:22

They are incredibly racist and anyone who thinks they are just a sweet misunderstood childhood toys needs to stop being an ignorant fuck and just do a quick bit of googling to discover thie history behind the character.

lol is it that time again.

My MIL has one, totally oblivious to how bad it it! No matter what I say. x

CleverClod Tue 05-Nov-13 09:49:40

I thought it was decided years ago that the name for these 'toys' would now be Gollys? TBF I'm quite offended you even used the term.

Nothing wring with the toys themselves though. Just the same as having dolls with different coloured hair and eyes, or even genders.

Anchoress Tue 05-Nov-13 09:50:06

Yes, of course they are, but I can't believe this ancient debate has raised its head yet again...? Are they even being manufactured any more?

Bunraku Tue 05-Nov-13 09:50:32

No word of a lie. In the late 90's my head teacher had one he kept at school. He used to bring it into assembly and tell stories about it. sad

At school in the 70s I knitted one. He was and is my favourite cuddly toy. He is in the loft in a special box. I guess my 7 year old self was racist? confused

I don't know what that says about me. I also remember collecting the tokens off jam to get badges.

I haven't seen one for sale in a shop for years though so don't know if it is a huge problem in 2013? Where's the 'big debate' going on?

MuffCakes Tue 05-Nov-13 09:55:12

My friends husband has just brought her one and posted it on fb, apparently it's just an object and only people are racist.

waikikamookau Tue 05-Nov-13 09:55:29

they are called gollies now surely?

Joysmum Tue 05-Nov-13 09:55:47

I just think that words and objects are simply words and objects and only take on the meaning projected on to them by the recipient.

My innocent little girl could rather like the look of a goliwog and want want based purely on aesthetics, doesn't make her racist or relate to the thoughts behind its production in the slightest.

livinginwonderland Tue 05-Nov-13 09:55:57

They're still on sale in Australia. When I was there in 2012, I saw quite a few shops selling them and they were sat quite openly in window displays.

Bowlersarm Tue 05-Nov-13 09:56:35

I didn't think they were around anymore.

Why are you on your high horse about them?

Oh right Muff ooh. Don't know what to make of that. Mmmm.

GoshAnneGorilla Tue 05-Nov-13 09:57:01

YANBU they are hugely racist.

However, lots of people think that unless you're actually going around in a white hood, then you can't possible be being racist.

So prepare yourself for a lot of squawking about "beloved childhood toys" "pc gorn mad" and "people who point out things are racist are the ones with/causing problems".

Oh no I have squawked about 'beloved childhood toy' Gosh. Sorry. I knitted him at school though. confused

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SoupDragon Tue 05-Nov-13 09:59:35

It is impossibly for a golly to be racist as it is an inanimate object with no beliefs or feelings.

The historical reasons behind them are racist.

GoshAnneGorilla Tue 05-Nov-13 10:00:20

So joysmum, P#ki and n*gger aren't racist unless the person who they're aimed at feels it's racist? They are just nice, fluffy words? hmm

SoupDragon Tue 05-Nov-13 10:00:52

I had one as a child and never made any kind of connection between the strange stuffed toy and a black person.

ErrolTheDragon Tue 05-Nov-13 10:01:13

Anyone else been to the stately home with the most un-PC book in its nursery? 'The Golliwogs go hunting'.

There's so many other toys to choose from nowadays, I suspect anyone (other than a dusty collector of antiques) who buys these nowadays is just trying to stir.

Exactly Lunatic I wouldn't knit one now. Can he not be my beloved childhood toy in my memories any more?

ringaringarosy Tue 05-Nov-13 10:03:19

We have got one the kids play with it a lot actually,i just call it a Golly.Im aware of the history of them but for my children its just a doll,it doesnt even look anything like a black person,or any human!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now