To stop shopping at Tesco if ^this^ is introduced?

(52 Posts)
Syrupent Mon 04-Nov-13 15:39:30

Tesco plan to introduce a facial recognition scanner to allow adverts specific to your age and gender to be targetted to you at the till. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24803378
This seems overly intrusive and would put me off shopping there, AIBU?

samandi Mon 04-Nov-13 16:04:14

The length of someone's hair could be used to work out their gender, she said.

Hmm, so short-haired, young looking women will get acne cream for teenage boys targeted at them? And long haired 30 year old men might be offered Canestan Oral?

I can relate to the sensory overload issue Vetta - I probably have attention deficit tendencies. Though it might be a minority that find it a significant problem I think you might find a surprising number of people put off by this much "in your face" noise and hassle!

LoofahVanDross Mon 04-Nov-13 16:04:23

pmsl - shatner

Sorry Vatta not Vetta - kind of typifies my typical kind of problem smile

Syrupent Mon 04-Nov-13 16:07:18

Yes think it was in Minority report Notundermyfoof, but wasn't that a dystopian future- hope that's not where we are headed! For now mostly worried it will mistake me for an old man (short hair and a bit saggy!).

Pogosticks Mon 04-Nov-13 16:07:32

I'd probably get 'Hello Sir we have a special offer on Old Spice' as I have short hair and look old and haggard. We'd need a whole new topic on here to be outraged in!!

DameDeepRedBetty Mon 04-Nov-13 16:07:42

I've already scored a victory over the nearest filling station by telling them if they continued to use the screens and loudspeakers built into every pump to chunter advertising at me I'd be using the other filling station. It's the same price and not much further, and is on my regular route anyway. I think some other people complained too. Anyway, job done, they've turned the sodding things off.

frustratedandfailing Mon 04-Nov-13 16:08:30

Wonder if they will be selling Electric Sheep too...

Nope YANBU.

ImTenAPenny Mon 04-Nov-13 16:09:21

My bf would have a field day massive rant if this happened and I think he would go as far as boycott the shops that use them..

He is big on privacy and against reward cards and Hates giving his details out if he is ordering online.
Me? I'd probably still use them and imagine it would be a great ego boost when they market age 20-30yr old product to a well aged 40 something.

DiseasesOfTheSheep Mon 04-Nov-13 16:09:35

Facebook can rarely recognise me in photos so I can't imagine this gimmick would do any better... Which is odd as I honestly don't resemble a picasso portrait in RL, honest!

TSSDNCOP Mon 04-Nov-13 16:10:12

In other news sales of balaclavas as quadrupled overnight.

Beat that facial sensory detector grin

HenriettaBrain Mon 04-Nov-13 16:10:21

Really?? If probably get some hair dye to cover he grey, some wrinkle cream and a large box of slim fast. hmm

DaleyBump Mon 04-Nov-13 16:10:25

I would probably get quite offended if I got to the till and they were advertising me tenas or something grin

RevelsRoulette Mon 04-Nov-13 16:11:13

God no. Can you imagine? Thank you for shopping at Tesco, Revels. <beep beep of scan> Here's a money off voucher for tena lady.

Chattymummyhere Mon 04-Nov-13 16:22:51

What if your with your partner/kids/in a group??

It would just try and sell me wine if it linked to our club card

ErrolTheDragon Mon 04-Nov-13 17:20:46

Everyone could just whip on a niquab or a mask at the till - that'd confuse the system grin

Musidn Thu 07-Nov-13 16:38:06

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

mouldyironingboard Thu 07-Nov-13 16:46:07

Judging by the way I look today, I'd get adverts for frizz ease hair products and eye bag concealer. I'll be flattered if adverts for tampons appeared as I'm well past the menopause!

Coupon Thu 07-Nov-13 17:35:32

YANBU. Agree with wearing a mask to confuse the system!

Couldn't care less. I'm either talking to the dds if they're with me or listening to my iPod if they're not! I just want to get the hell out of there asap, I don't have time to be looking at the screen smile

wispywoo1 Thu 07-Nov-13 18:42:29

Don't Tesco already store information on you due to club cards etc? I don't understand how facial recognition will make any difference. They can probably already guess your age bracket/demographics.

Coupon Thu 07-Nov-13 18:46:20

> Don't Tesco already store information on you due to club cards etc?

Only if you sign up for one.

VivaLeBeaver Thu 07-Nov-13 18:48:26

Imagine if it gets your gender wrong! You'd be able to sue for trauma grin

Hassled Thu 07-Nov-13 18:50:29

It wouldn't put me off - I'd be fascinated to see what the hell they offer me ad-wise.

Youtube seem to think I'm a middle aged man, or a middle aged gay woman. Every single time I'm there I'm offered Mature Ladies Dating or somesuch - pictures of slightly rough looking women in badly furnished bedrooms. I'm a middle aged straight woman with some taste in soft furnishings.

fanjofarrow Thu 07-Nov-13 18:52:26

I bet they offer me ads for a load of utter shite that I couldn't care less about. Nothing new there, then. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now