Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To suddenly be frightened of the coming winter?

(186 Posts)
KathrynKampbell Sun 03-Nov-13 23:38:51

I think it's just hit me how hard winter is going to be. I'm sat downstairs now (watching a film tut tut get to bed) and its really cold. Today was cold too and we had to have the heating on and off all day. I thought we would manage with maybe once a day for a bit and make do with layers but I hadn't realised how much the house would leak heat and how cold laminate floor is. And the temperature is obviously going to get colder over the next few months.

AIBU to be scared about the next few months?

Thatisall Sun 03-Nov-13 23:41:20

No we feel the same tbh. We're buying thicker vitamins, we now wear slippers and have started wearing more woollies indoors just to keep the goats down as it will get much much worse than this.

Yanbu, i question putting my heating on most of the time thanks to these money sucking energy companies.
But today it was indeed quite cold (south east england) and had it on for 2hrs in the morning aswell as this evening for the children's baths.

The mould is coming back too since it got colder and the tumble drier is also being used the majority of the time.
It is a worrying time, knowing that with the cold brings higher bills too, that added to christmas, impending arrival of dc5 and all january birthdays coming up, i'm juggling my brain with it all!

WilsonFrickett Sun 03-Nov-13 23:46:21

Slippers. Draught excluders (old tights stuffed with newspapers if necessary). Draw the curtains. Think about cheap rugs (my living room laminate always has a top layer of icy draft on it). Socks and gloves - if your extremities are warm then you are, also think about hats. Be smart with the heating - in my old house we had a gas stove so the heating went off at night and we just heated the living room. In this house we have cavity wall insulation (also worth a google, we got ours free) so can run the heating for a couple of hours then switch it off and the house stays warm. I work from home so during the day I run an oil-filled radiator in my office.

Don't get scared, get smart smile

Fukeit Sun 03-Nov-13 23:46:58

thatisall I love that you're keeping warm with thick vitamins and goats!!

It's a bit of a shock to the system at the moment because it's been so mild recently. I find you get used to the cold. Wear decent slippers, shut the curtains to keep the heat in . Our house is freezing and I struggle to keep it warm with the heating on.

KathrynKampbell Sun 03-Nov-13 23:48:53

I wish I'd used my brain and planned ahead a bit! I could have chucked a snuggy onesie on or something if I had haha! Luckily I had Sellotape so I could tape up the keyholes grin

It's scary though. I'd read other threads asking for advice to keep warm but it never really sunk in until today that I need to plan too sad

serin Sun 03-Nov-13 23:49:58

NPower have just put our combined energy bill up to £241 a month.....there is just no way on earth it can be that high?

I can't remember the last time I had a bath, it's showers all the way here. We use low energy bulbs, don't leave appliances on and I don't leave things slow roasting in the oven for hours. Don't see how I can cut things back really, not with 3 teenagers.

I like the rug idea wallison, and maybe i should spend out on some thicker curtains too.

FunnyRunner Sun 03-Nov-13 23:50:13

Extra socks and slippers. I also have a few huge cardigans (think knee length) which I throw on when I'm in the house.

One thing that REALLY helps is wearing a scarf in the house. I find if my neck is warm my whole top half is warm and then I just need to worry about the feet...

Bettercallsaul1 Sun 03-Nov-13 23:51:10

WINTER IS COMING!

I agree serin we have done all you have mentioned, yet no savingsconfused
The only thing on at night is my energy saving bulb in the hall & the fridge. I turn everything except from sky & tv off at the mains.

500internalerror Sun 03-Nov-13 23:52:48

I'm dreading it. I'm always cold even with the heating on - but this yr I reckon we have to cut it down by half. We just usually end up in bed really early on the nights the kids don't have clubs.

KathrynKampbell Sun 03-Nov-13 23:52:53

Yes I think cheap rugs would be a good idea! I already have a couple that dd plays on so might get a couple of those thin runner ones to fill the gaps so its almost like having a carpet. I definitely need to get smart before it gets really really cold! Upstairs is usually warmer so I'm wondering now if it might be a case of spending more time up there too. Just seems weird to abandon my downstairs though!

Jaynebxl Sun 03-Nov-13 23:53:04

Thatisall please come back and report on the thicker vitamins!

SeaSickSal Sun 03-Nov-13 23:53:25

Keep the goats down and we'll all be okay.

ThornSayre Sun 03-Nov-13 23:53:25

Indeed. Wish I were in Winterfell with its thick walls and hot springs beneath sad

500internalerror Sun 03-Nov-13 23:53:41

£241??? shockshockshock

RoseRedder Sun 03-Nov-13 23:54:49

laminate flooring must have been invented and made popular by the energy companies

serin Sun 03-Nov-13 23:55:56

I can see me returning to candles at this rate!!

40 odd years ago when I was a child we all used to have ice on the insides of our bedroom windows and my poor dad used to race downstairs to light the coal fire in the living room.

KathrynKampbell Sun 03-Nov-13 23:56:30

Haha! I wouldn't be surprised! I'm just glad the landlord at least chose carpet for upstairs! If I ever own a house I am going to have ridiculous thick warm carpets everywhere.

Bettercallsaul1 Sun 03-Nov-13 23:56:41

At least we won't have White Walkers. (hopefully)

serin Sun 03-Nov-13 23:58:56

Yeah £241!

British Gas did the same to us a while ago, started off at £120 then just kept going higher every month. We did eventually get them to refund £970 but it was a battle.

Must have mug written on my head.

Fluffyears Mon 04-Nov-13 00:01:27

I live in a particularly cold area of Scotland. Our new build has great insulation but also heating that comes on automatically when room hits a particular temperature. I'm worried that when we are out at work it'll be coming on and off all day. I'm living in my jml snuggie blanket. I love that it has sleeves.

MrsTwgtwf Mon 04-Nov-13 00:01:47

I too am sorry you are having to keep the goats down, Thatisall. wink

WilsonFrickett Mon 04-Nov-13 00:02:22

My next 'big buy' will be a carpet for the living room.

If I'm doubly lucky it will help with the goats too grin.

Op I suspect your upstairs is warmer because heat rises - so if you stop heating downstairs upstairs will be colder...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now