To wish house guests would bring their own towels?

(142 Posts)
Isthisstormcomingorwhat Sun 03-Nov-13 20:08:45

Just had guests to stay this weekend. They used four towels between two of them, and as we don't have a tumble dryer I now have four towels plus a set of bed linen hanging up to dry in the house.

Would it be unreasonable to ask future guests to bring their own towels (assuming they are driving and not travelling by public transport in which case I appreciate they might not want to carry too much with them).

Love having guests to stay, hate all the washing!

Go

sleeplessbunny Sun 03-Nov-13 20:18:09

Not sure how they managed to use 2 towels each during a one-night stay, that would annoy me too. I usually put out 1 (large) towel per guest, and I haven't had guests weird or rude enough to help themselves to additional towels not that there would be any clean ones available anyhow

But I think it is normal and expected to provide your guests with 1 towel each.

Blu Sun 03-Nov-13 20:19:12

It depends on circumstances. If we are gathering at someone's house for an event and they are putting people up and have a houseful and catering I would offer to take own bedding and would take towels. If invited very much as a guest I wouldn't but I would never treat a hist's house like a hotel and use more than one towel!

Isthisstormcomingorwhat Sun 03-Nov-13 20:20:44

So looks like I am being unreasonable on balance blush

Unfortunately I don't have time for laundrettes at work full time 8am-7pm. Will just have to continue to dry at home

ICameOnTheJitney Sun 03-Nov-13 20:21:30

You'd hate us! We get through about 4 each a weekend! I have very thick hair which needs it's own towel after a shower!

Going against the grain here, I do ask people to being stuff when they stay over. Mainly because we have a tiny house so don't really have space to store extra bedding and pillows. I don't tend to ask them to bring towels, but it does mean that in a weekend we use our entire supply of clean towels which is a pain when it comes to washing.

Also, I don't mind people asking us to bring stuff whenever we stay with friends. If your guests are the type to get upset about you asking, is it worth having them stay at all?

harticus Sun 03-Nov-13 20:22:26

Blimey ... bit inhospitable.
Do you have big signs up in the bathroom telling them not to use all the hot water too?

They can have as many towels as they like in my house.
They can eat what they want and drink what they want and do what they like as long as it doesn't startle the dog or stain the carpet

garlicbutter Sun 03-Nov-13 20:23:19

I certainly wouldn't take it for granted I had to bring towels! I've had people ask me to bring my own stuff before, though, and do if asked. I'd draw the line at a duvet if travelling on public transport, but have brought my own in the car - again, when asked to.

I always provide 2 towels each for guests. AIBU? confused

NancyShrew Sun 03-Nov-13 20:23:57

I am a fussy arsehole guest, but if someone asked me to bring my own towels I genuinely wouldn't bat an eyelid. I'd just assume they didn't have enough or something?

littlewhitebag Sun 03-Nov-13 20:25:09

My parents bring their own towels to save me washing them, even though I have a tumble drier. I find it a little weird tbh. Otherwise expect to supply and wash all my guests towels.

RoxanneReidsChafingFishnets Sun 03-Nov-13 20:25:19

I take a towel when I stay out but its for my hair as my hair dye stains everything red

NancyShrew Sun 03-Nov-13 20:26:28

I actually find it quite odd that someone would be offended at being asked to bring their own towel. Hardly like you'd be asking them to bring the weekly shop!

Artandco Sun 03-Nov-13 20:27:42

Ic - with thick hair I just dry body, then use that towel and wrap on hair. 4 towels would drive me Barmy laying aroun wet

Christelle2207 Sun 03-Nov-13 20:28:22

I would always expect towels to be provided and always offer towels when people come here - in the case of ladies a big one and a small one. Possibly just one for a guy.
The only exception to this was once I had so many people over I had to ask those that were driving to bring their own because I didn't have enough.

ICameOnTheJitney Sun 03-Nov-13 20:28:31

Noooo....I can't stand there all drippy! I never GET dry unless I wrap my hair up immediately.

CloverkissSparklecheeks Sun 03-Nov-13 20:30:02

I always would expect to provide towells for guests, I would put 1 big towell and 1 hair towell on their bed. We also have a pool and I provide slippers, dressing gowns and towells for that. It definitely is a bit of a faff doing all the washing/drying for thick items like that but if you offer to host then thats how it is IMO.

blackteaplease Sun 03-Nov-13 20:30:29

I don't think it's that bad to ask people to bring towels. I always take my own towel when I go to other people's houses, but then I also always provide towels for guests that come here.

CloverkissSparklecheeks Sun 03-Nov-13 20:30:53

BTW I wouldn't mind if someone asked me to bring towells or bedding as I would just assume they didn't have enough.

frogspoon Sun 03-Nov-13 20:33:29

YAB a bit U, unless you are having lots of guests.

Towels are quite bulky. If guests were only visiting overnight they probably only want to bring a little bag.

Go to the laundrette.

mrscog Sun 03-Nov-13 20:34:54

I wouldn't mind if a friend asked me to bring towels - not at all and I wouldn't think it inhospitable. I tend to take my own towel anyway to save on their washing!

Preciousbane Sun 03-Nov-13 20:36:58

Mil always brings her own sheets, pillow and towels, I was hugely insulted when she first used to stay. She did explain it helps her sleep, she is quite set in her ways and now I'm just glad that I don't get extra washing.

I would never ask someone to bring them.

RufusandJasper Sun 03-Nov-13 20:37:08

yes I take my own towel to save other people the washing, especially if just staying for the one night

YesterdayI Sun 03-Nov-13 20:37:16

Blimey, you lot must have very judgey friends. confused I generally only have close friends and family stay in my house and they wouldn't give a monkeys if I asked them to bring their own towels.
We don't think anything of getting visitors to bring sleeping bags for their kids and, likewise, we get asked to bring sleeping bags for our kids.

garlicbutter Sun 03-Nov-13 20:39:19

Am I the only one who REALLY wants to go & stay with Cloverkiss?

ebaymad Sun 03-Nov-13 20:40:23

I would be happy to bring my own towel.

I's be happy you could feel it's ok to ask me without feeling i'd be offended.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now