Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To wish house guests would bring their own towels?

(142 Posts)
Isthisstormcomingorwhat Sun 03-Nov-13 20:08:45

Just had guests to stay this weekend. They used four towels between two of them, and as we don't have a tumble dryer I now have four towels plus a set of bed linen hanging up to dry in the house.

Would it be unreasonable to ask future guests to bring their own towels (assuming they are driving and not travelling by public transport in which case I appreciate they might not want to carry too much with them).

Love having guests to stay, hate all the washing!

LaTrucha Sun 03-Nov-13 20:10:10

Sorry, I would think this was deeply strange and off putting. Isn't providing for their needs one thing about being hospitable?

I hate my house festooned with washing too, but I love friends coming to visit.

Vivacia Sun 03-Nov-13 20:10:58

It wouldn't be very hospitable.

Isthisstormcomingorwhat Sun 03-Nov-13 20:11:35

Fair enough. I always pack my own towel if I am going to stay with people. I only expect a towel to be provided if I am staying in a hotel.

weeblueberry Sun 03-Nov-13 20:12:09

That's just part and parcel of having guests

You wouldn't ask them to bring their own bed sheets I hope

lovelilies Sun 03-Nov-13 20:12:15

I wouldn't expect to bring my own towel when visiting..shock
maybe next time lay out one towel for each guest?

YesterdayI Sun 03-Nov-13 20:12:19

I think it would be fine to ask if they were coming fir a weekend and going home afterwards. Depends on who you are inviting and the circumstances but I wouldn't mind at all especially if I knew you didn't have a tumble dryer.

Norudeshitrequired Sun 03-Nov-13 20:12:25

YABVU

Bollockeyes Sun 03-Nov-13 20:12:50

YAB a teeny bit U...would you expect them to bring their own plates due to more washing up??

Isthisstormcomingorwhat Sun 03-Nov-13 20:13:13

They only came to stay for one night.
No of course I would not ask them to bring bed sheets grin

Bonsoir Sun 03-Nov-13 20:13:19

Go to the launderette if you haven't got drying space.

Chocovore Sun 03-Nov-13 20:13:31

Part and parcel of having guests to stay. There are other options tugh. You could have given them just one towel each. You didn't have to wash all that in one go, and why not dry outside anyway?

lovelilies Sun 03-Nov-13 20:13:32

Or if you have a ton of washing, pop to the laundrette to dry it

Artandco Sun 03-Nov-13 20:13:37

Surely just put a towel on their bed per person so they use less? Ie x2 towels and just say there are some clean fresh towels on the bed for them

Alternatively have you considered hammam towels? They are much thinner and so dry quicker. They are handy for travel with/ using on beach/ as a sarong also. If you have no dryer they might benefit using all the time.

We use the hand towel size all the time and bath sheet size for travelling or as a beach mat to sit on

Jaynebxl Sun 03-Nov-13 20:13:38

I'm with LaTrucha. Just make sure you have spare towels then you can wash them at your leisure. When I was a student we all took our own towels if we went to stay with friends but since we became grown ups and got our own homes things gave changed.

Isthisstormcomingorwhat Sun 03-Nov-13 20:13:50

No because it doesn't take four days for plates to dry grin

CMOTDibbler Sun 03-Nov-13 20:14:16

If I was staying with friends, I'd much rather they asked me to bring towels, even bed linen than seething about it.

skillsandtea Sun 03-Nov-13 20:14:30

A lot of people would be offended if you took your own towel/bedding however well-meaning.

ITSCOW
My aunt loathes it as well, she goes to the local laundrette and has a service wash done with towels and laundry it isn't very expensive and it certainly seems to ease the aftermath smile

I usually take a small towel with me when staying with friends - but that is only so I don't get mascara all over their towels. I do the same if I go to a hotel / guest house. I will still use their towels for showering though.

I wouldn't expect anybody to bring their own towels if I invited them to stay.

nextphase Sun 03-Nov-13 20:16:03

I'd supply the towels, but throw the towels and sheets in the washing basket til I could start drying them outside - got towels almost dry outside yesterday, and sheets today. You just need it to be dry and breasy, and things dry soooo much quicker inside after a couple of hours out.

Hulababy Sun 03-Nov-13 20:16:17

We just put out one towel per person on the spare bed when guests come, plus there is always a hand towel in the bathroom.

It is one less thing for people to have to pack and think about when coming to stay. Yes it make smore washing for the host - but ime it is expected. And tbf we never take towels with us when we visit people either. Easier not to.

yummymumtobe Sun 03-Nov-13 20:17:10

Not unreasonable I think. Depends on who it is of course. We stayed with BIL last weekend and forgot towels. They have 3 kids so enough washing as it is so felt bad creating more washing for them by having to borrow a towel. I usually put a towel out if someone stays over but wouldn't mind being asked to bring a towel to someone's house.

Bollockeyes Sun 03-Nov-13 20:17:33

grin consider my bum smacked for being a sarky buggar.

amothersplaceisinthewrong Sun 03-Nov-13 20:17:43

It is not the done thing to ask guests to bring their own towels to someone's house. Take them to tumble dry at the launderette.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now