Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Younger siblings are always more attractive

(143 Posts)
AnyWetCuntweaselsInTheFuckerGr Sun 03-Nov-13 19:50:27

.. and frequently cleverer, funnier and generally more talented.

I am struggling to think of a counter-example from my personal experience.

persimmon Mon 04-Nov-13 19:25:12

My mum was the beauty of her large family; she's the second eldest of 6.
I am way better-looking than my brothers even if I do say so myself; I'm the middle child.

Rentahoose Mon 04-Nov-13 19:34:06

I feel awful saying this about my DC..

My eldest child was a very beautiful baby. All the midwives/MCAs commented on it. I said "I bet you say that to everyone".

They said "no quite often we just say nothing".

My second DC (despite a much easier birth) looked like a big bruiser. Not one person commented.

My eldest child has a very beautiful face. My youngest is now very cute though and she has the most beautiful personality.

BeaWheesht Mon 04-Nov-13 19:49:31

Hmmm I'm the youngest of 3. Eldest definitely more ambitious than the rest, middle more selfish and then me who is more of a doormat. Me and my eldest sibling have achieved highly academically whilst my middle sibling is competing for their country in sport.

My brother (eldest) is very good looking so I'm told, me and my sister are average I would say. I was a gorgeous kid though but am now fat.

In terms of my own kids ds is the eldest and we have always been told how handsome he is, he's 6 now and we still get comments. When dd was born ALOT of people said 'she looked like a doll' - I presumed they meant a porcelain doll rather than chucky....I think she's gorgeous beyond words and can't believe she's mine but I think that's partly because she has deep brown eyes and olive skin and dark blonde hair which IMO is a nice combination and not like my blue eyes and blue skin - which ds has incidentally and lots of people comment on how much like an angel he looks hahaha

Taffeta Mon 04-Nov-13 20:10:31

envy @ SarahandFuck

I have been told by a number of people that DS looks like Ed Miliband so BACK OFF with your criticisms of his looks, people. [hard stare]

digerd Mon 04-Nov-13 20:17:21

My MIL had 6 boys and 6 girls. The youngest girl was definitely the prettiest and the only one with ginger hairhmm.
Of the boys, my DH was the 4th and the only gorgeous onesmile
My younger sister is more glamorous than I, more wilful, stronger and much more competitive .

2rebecca Germany Mon 04-Nov-13 20:19:55

Older siblings are more intelligent, and self reliant, and arrogant and used to fighting for what they want.
My younger sibs are more easy going and maybe "nicer" than me in many ways but I do feel they got stuff easily that I had to fight for.

Ham69 Mon 04-Nov-13 20:21:32

Prince Edward anyone? hmm

HereIsMee Mon 04-Nov-13 20:31:51

At first glance of this thread I thought it was nonsense. There's nothing to support that statement that makes any sense. However since I am the youngest amongst my siblings. I shall ignore their good looks and talents and agree with this.

I guess practice makes perfect with making babies.

digerd Tue 05-Nov-13 15:40:10

PS
The most academic child of MIL was the 5th boy born.
Only one boy in our family, 1st born and the most academically clever.

SIS the youngest has always had the most confidence.

TerrorTerror Tue 05-Nov-13 16:31:59

My elder DSis I think is very pretty, naturally blonde, slim, intelligent, good job etc. I think on a good day I can also be pretty, and am a little bit fatter and shorter, but have a smaller nose and darker brown hair. I think I got my DGMs looks, and DSis looks more like a size 10 version of my Aunt on Dad's side. It's totally random I think, but I do notice this trend myself. Maybe we youngers are 'more attractive' because we need it to compete for our parents attention growing up. I don't know!

Pachacuti Tue 05-Nov-13 16:43:49

My DC1 is really very good-looking, to the extent that strangers comment on it. DC2 is, well, a bit plain-ish (although has lovely eyes and smile, plus a a lot of character so manages to pull it off). DC3 is small enough to be cute still, plus looks quite a bit like DC1 so is likely to be quite attractive. In fact I worry sometimes about DC2 if does end up sandwiched between two much more conventionally attractive siblings on top of general Middle Child Syndrome.

Your theory was true of me and my siblings (definitely got better-looking moving down the birth order), not true of my mother + siblings (eldest definitely best-looking), not really of my father + siblings (probably a tie between #2 and #4 for top spot, then #1, then #3). DH and siblings all much of a muchness TBH.

VoiceofRaisin Tue 05-Nov-13 16:53:42

Ham69 Do you think Andrew is more handsome?

No doubt this is idle gossip:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120111100212AA302My

HumOlive Tue 05-Nov-13 17:01:11

My eldest son is probably more conventionally attractive than my second son.
It's all a load of bollocks isn't it? How can position in the family dictate looks?

Pachacuti Tue 05-Nov-13 17:02:04

VoiceofRaisin, the Telegraph picture editors made an... interesting... choice to accompany this article about the Duke of Edinburgh hmm.

TwitTwooShoe Tue 05-Nov-13 17:08:04

You are correct.

The fact that I'm the youngest of eight doesn't in any way influence my decision.

KitCat26 Tue 05-Nov-13 17:09:43

DH is the youngest and better looking than his brother, he is more successful and more practical. BIL is more intelligent.

Couldn't possibly comment on the kids... One looks like me, the other like DH.

chanie44 Tue 05-Nov-13 17:51:54

My sis is prettier than me.

OH is the eldest of 3 sisters. The youngest is really pretty, but has a different father, so genetically you can't compare.

However, I think OH is the better looking of the other two. One of them looks like him, but the features work better for him.

soontobeburns Tue 05-Nov-13 18:03:39

Im an only child sad but also means im not the ugly one or pretty one im just me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now