Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to send him home because he has a cold sore?

(47 Posts)
tygertygerburningbright Sun 03-Nov-13 18:50:33

My boyfriend woke up this morning with a suspiciously cold sore looking thing on his chin.. he is maintaining that it's not a cold sore but it sure looks like one to me! I have 3 year old ds and I don't want him to catch it. I also don't want to get it myself, so I sent him home and told him he couldn't come back until it's gone... I feel a little bit guilty because he looked all sad and rejected.. I could easily just not kiss him etc for s bit but I worry about ds because he's a toddler and all up in my boyfriend's face rtc. AIBU to banish him!?

tygertygerburningbright Sun 03-Nov-13 20:00:34

Yes zombie you got me, I secretly hate my boyfriend and needed an excuse to get rid of him! Thank god for infectious sores hey!

AdoraBell Chile Sun 03-Nov-13 19:59:51

Unfortunatley it's not only kissing that spreads cold sores. If the OP's BF touches the cold sore then touches either another person or something that someone else will touch, maybe a door handle, then virus can be transmitted. Then if another person touches their own face they transfer the virus there.

OP

I Think you over reacted although I fully understand your concern. Maybe BF doesn't realise How contagio the virus is, or that it doesn't always manifest on the lips. Mine are frquently mid chin rather than on my líp.

Perhaps a little edcuation would help?

kali110 United States Sun 03-Nov-13 19:55:33

I had impetigo for four bloody months, it would not go, but nobody got it from me.id hAd it two months before it was diagnosed as impetigo.

ZombieMojaveWonderer Sun 03-Nov-13 19:54:22

Don't sound too smug op. Sounds like you were trying to get rid if him all along wink

magimedi Argentina Sun 03-Nov-13 19:53:57
harticus Sun 03-Nov-13 19:48:47

When I was little I couldn't tell the difference between coleslaw and cold sore.

tygertygerburningbright Sun 03-Nov-13 19:39:55

He's just text me and said he thinks it's impetigo. Which I just googled, and now I stand by my decision as apparently it's 'highly contagious'

bellablot Sun 03-Nov-13 19:37:45

Erm yes YABU, if you had a 3 week old baby then send him home for sure but 3 years old, he should be gone and you might already have the virus. Also when did cold sores grow on chins? Could it be something else?

theywillgrowup Sun 03-Nov-13 19:35:43

i get them a fair bit and do feel like a leper,so i bet your DP feels bad

i got so fed up of getting them and they were monsters my doctor perscribes an ant-viral tablet on the fist sign of the tingle,they have made a big difference

they are contagious when they are weeping,then they crust over

killpeppa Sun 03-Nov-13 19:33:15

god help him!

how long does he get banished for when he has the cold?

tygertygerburningbright Sun 03-Nov-13 19:32:45

Ok... its possible I over reacted...

Rummikub Sun 03-Nov-13 19:32:06

grin tyger

I haven't had chicken pox either. So completely herpes virus free, till that boyfriend. I used to be careful too about kissing, but isn't the cold sore most contagious before it appears?

Now I get big cold sores when I'm rundown and I'm not with the bugger anymore!

steff13 United States Sun 03-Nov-13 19:30:39

I got a cold sore out of the blue just a year or so ago. I talked to my doctor, and she gave me a pamphlet that is put out by the CDC. According to said pamphlet, 6 out of 10 adults carry the virus for cold sores, but only 20%-40% ever have symptoms. Also, you can pass it without having an active sore or ever having any sore at all. So, if your BF has it and has been kissing on your son, he could have already passed it to him. Further, it's possible you have it and could have passed it to him yourself.

In light of that, I think you are being a bit unreasonable. It would not be unreasonable, IMO, to ask him to refrain from kissing your son until the sore clears, just in case, but there's a fair chance he's already been exposed.

misspontypine Sun 03-Nov-13 19:28:11

YABVU.

Will you keep your ds at home if any of his classmates every have a coldsore at school?

itsametaphordaddy Sun 03-Nov-13 19:24:26

Ffs its only a coldsore. He's not a bloody leper. How would you feel if he sent you home because of a simple thing like a cold sore. Fgs people have gone nuts when it comes to coldsores. I had hundreds as a child.

singarainbow Sun 03-Nov-13 19:24:10

I think you may have over reacted - could he just cover it with a plaster? My 4yo dd gets them on her thumb (long story) when she is unfortunate enough to get an outbreak we cover hem with a bandage and send her off to preschool.

MostWicked Sun 03-Nov-13 19:22:14

Poor bloke!
Totally OTT

honeybunny14 Sun 03-Nov-13 19:20:00

Yabvvvvu poor guy

Sausagewaffle Sun 03-Nov-13 19:19:28

I definitely think you are being unreasonable.
I understand where you are coming from if you have an issue with things like that..
But, if I was sent home for that reason, I also wouldn't be going back.

IamInvisible Sun 03-Nov-13 19:19:11

My mum gets cold sores, she never moved out when she got them. No one else in the family ever caught one, or became sufferers.

YABU.

ArabellaBeaumaris Sun 03-Nov-13 19:18:49

Good grief. YABU. I heard an awful case of a woman who lost her baby because she was exposed to her first cold sore during labour & so have no desire to protect my DDs from being exposed to the virus. Both DP & I get cold sores & they clear up with 2 days of blistex or similar.

IsItMeOr Sun 03-Nov-13 19:14:34

See here

IsItMeOr Sun 03-Nov-13 19:13:32

All coldsores are caused by a form of the Herpes virus. It sounds bad, but it might help to bear in mind that chicken pox is also caused by another form of the Herpes virus.

tygertygerburningbright Sun 03-Nov-13 19:05:29

Rummikub back me up! Lol its not worth the risk!

We don't even live together so it's not like I kicked him out of his own house...

drawsofdrawers Sun 03-Nov-13 19:03:41

You should apologise.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now