To not understand why people use an ipad as a camera when out and about

(128 Posts)
Verycold Sun 03-Nov-13 12:26:56

Surely it's big, and very expensive, and doesnt even take great photos??

MrsBennetsEldest Mon 04-Nov-13 16:54:29

MadAs and Emmeline, please stop now. MadAs, I said I couldn't care less what anyone else USES and not what anyone else thinks. Emmeline, thank you, I think it's pointless to say anymore as our comments are falling on deaf ears.
It's not a topic worth getting worked up over though is it? My post was never intended in the light it seems to have been taken. It happens, can we just move on now.

notso Mon 04-Nov-13 16:25:01

Have done it, felt like a twat but have no smart phone and DH had the camera, I had the IPad mini as needed it for an online voucher. I don't think I blocked anyone's view as was only taking a picture of DS's on a fake elephant.
I think anyone taking pictures in a crowded place of interest with anything is a potential pain in the arse though. Am working with the PTA at school to ban it at concerts etc.

MadAsFish Mon 04-Nov-13 16:07:44

Emmeline are you choosing to be dense about this?
She chose to respond to the question:
Am I being unreasonable to not understand why people use an ipad as a camera when out and about?
by saying
I have an iPad, I have an iPhone. I will use whichever device pleases me. I really couldn't care less what anyone else uses.

This would suggest that when out and about she would use whichever device pleases her (and to hell with who it inconveniences - which had been well pointed out previously in the thread - see posts :
I recently went to a very busy museum where a woman spent ages photographing a very tiny exhibit with her ipad. No one else could see the exhibit (unless you looked at her screen). Everyone in the queue behind her was hmm.
one child spent the whole time taking pictures on an I Pad and blocking other people's views.
Mum with Ipad was in front of me at my dd's assembly filming it all. a) Who ACTUALLY watches back a 30 minute assembly ? b) MOVE IT YOU SELFISH ARSE - I CAN'T SEE A BLOODY THING!

I can't be arsed to go on, but I think you might, just now see that it's not just me.

Yermina Mon 04-Nov-13 16:06:50

I have an ipad mini - 7 inches across so not huge.

I used it the other day to take pictures. I find it easier than using my iphone 5 sometimes because of the large format screen I am mr Magoo

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StepAwayFromTheEcclesCakes Mon 04-Nov-13 15:37:51

It has a camera on it, therefore it can legitimately be used as a camera, I have used my ipad mini to take pics as they are there on the system straight away. I care not how twattish I look. I want a pic so I use my camera on my i pad. its no more twattish than anyone using a camera or phone or a huge bulky proffessional set up. what IS twattish is pushing in with any set up at all and hogging the view for longer than it takes for a quick snap.

EmmelineGoulden Mon 04-Nov-13 15:25:25

MadAs The thread title asks whether the OP is being unreasonble in not understanding. MrsB indicated she thought it was odd to even care about what anyone else was using. Not being judgy about other people's choices is not the same thing as being selfish in your own. reasonable person would not think it was.

Neither MrsB nor the OP had mentioned people being selfish in their use of any device at this point in the thread. That was all your doing.

Sparklingbrook Mon 04-Nov-13 14:03:56

Exactly Crystal.

CrystalQueen Mon 04-Nov-13 13:46:58

I am one of the 5 people in the country with no smartphone but who owns an iPad. My camera is old and permanently out of batteries. As long as I'm not obstructing someone else's view I don't see the problem.

EverythingUnderControl Mon 04-Nov-13 13:42:36

' instead of watching with their eyes snd hearts and experiencing the real life love story happening in front of them' YES!! We are in danger of spending our lives narrating it through a screen and getting it onto FB rather than just living it.

EverythingUnderControl Mon 04-Nov-13 13:38:28

I've thought the same. A small digital camera is so much easierconfused I've wondered if it's a status thing, ie look at me with my iPad..

MadAsFish Mon 04-Nov-13 13:35:27

MadAs you were ignorant when you implied MrsB was selfish in here use of her iPad as you had no knowledge of how she used it. That ignorance was demonstrated when MrsB pointed out she didn't use her iPad outside of the home. You would still have been ignorant if MrsB had not pointed out there was no way for your comment to be true. MrsB at no point said or implied that other people could "go hang". Perhaps you are projecting.

The thread title. Read the thread title. Maybe that will give you the clue you need to stop banging on about this.

She originally said:

I have an iPad, I have an iPhone. I will use whichever device pleases me. I really couldn't care less what anyone else uses.

in a thread about using an ipad when out and about. What conclusion might a reasonable person draw about how she uses her ipad?

MindyWiller Mon 04-Nov-13 13:34:44

It does look completely daft and i usually think people look like total knobs when they do it.

hadn't considered that someone may have very impaired sight though.

GhostsInSnow Mon 04-Nov-13 13:25:49

If you've ever been to Tenby in South Wales you will have seen the lovely little church in the middle. Was walking past that one saturday a few years ago when a wedding was coming out, the photographer was there all poised to take the shots and dancing in front of him taking his own photos with an iPad was some wedding guest. Photographer looked like he was about to brain the bloke.

Amibambini Mon 04-Nov-13 13:22:30

Weeantwee - You made a great decision in my books. I love it when I hear the celebrant say just before the ceremony that 'the bride and groom appreciate your full presence here today, no need to photograph it, it's being covered by professionals and your eyes, ears and hearts are enough to bear witness'.

Sparklingbrook Mon 04-Nov-13 12:14:28

Oh blimey. Weddings. Hadn't even thought of that. Glad I got married in 1998.

Weeantwee Mon 04-Nov-13 10:28:35

amibambini that's exactly why i banned guests taking photos during my wedding ceremony. It didn't go down well with some people MIL but the best decision I ever made.

I see plenty of tourists use ipads to take photos, each to their own. I don't think they look like twats. The tourists who spend 5 minutes holding up the camera and not taking a picture whilst insisting you don't walk into the shot are twats!

Amibambini Mon 04-Nov-13 10:18:28

iPads at weddings, just STOP IT! I was a bridesmaid for my sister so had the whole experience of walking down the aisle amongst a sea of smiling loved ones. Well, the ones you could see anyway. Bloody berks holding up a4 rectangles with apple logos in front of their faces. It's so shitty!

And another thing, whether its an iPad, iPhone, regular camera or whatever; PUT THE BLOODY THINGS DOWN SOMETIMES!! Different wedding, first dance, very touching, everyone's eyes are glued to the device in their hands as they film their shitty pixelated 'memory' with terrible sound that will most probably never be watched again anyway, instead of watching with their eyes snd hearts and experiencing the real life love story happening in front of them. Pisses me off no end. And I'm a photographer!

EmmelineGoulden Mon 04-Nov-13 09:43:47

MadAs you were ignorant when you implied MrsB was selfish in here use of her iPad as you had no knowledge of how she used it. That ignorance was demonstrated when MrsB pointed out she didn't use her iPad outside of the home. You would still have been ignorant if MrsB had not pointed out there was no way for your comment to be true. MrsB at no point said or implied that other people could "go hang". Perhaps you are projecting.

BeaLola Mon 04-Nov-13 08:58:24

I have an iPad which was a gift and in the comfort of my back garden when I was enjoying a glass of wine and reading emails I actually used it to video my DS who was in and out of the paddling pool being funny. That said my preference when out is my camera. For school I like my son to see me and I like to enjoy the moment as it is.

I was lucky enough to go to the Olympics and see the mens 100m final and was amazed at the rows of people holding up their iPads to film something that takes less than 10 seconds- they did look daft , seriously.

2tiredtoScare Mon 04-Nov-13 08:41:08

My camera is broken I just use my iPhone, the iPad takes a terrible picture plus it's too big

Thants Mon 04-Nov-13 08:40:46

I was at a small gig recently and someone kept taking pics with their iPad. It was so annoying! And made them look like an idiot. Use your phone!

SoupDragon Mon 04-Nov-13 08:39:05

LOL - you can't really compare having your view blocked by an A4 camera to having it blocked by a tall person. One is a luxury, the other a physical characteristic that is unavoidable.

feelingood Mon 04-Nov-13 08:30:32

buy

feelingood Mon 04-Nov-13 08:29:50

Fancy that?.... all iPad users taking photos in public are inconsiderate and referred to as twats....

Some people just sound nasty, jealous or clueless on this thread.

Whilst they maybe not be the most practical thing to take a picture with they are convenient for some.

Regulation of handbags and changing bag size. I don't fucking care how big/flash/expensive/ something is. I do care whether it used considerably or from my POV does the job.

If anyone tried to shove mine up my fanjo they'd be eating my MN scarf until they surrender they didn't but naice ham.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now