Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To not understand why people use an ipad as a camera when out and about

(128 Posts)
Verycold Sun 03-Nov-13 12:26:56

Surely it's big, and very expensive, and doesnt even take great photos??

Heartbrokenmum73 Sun 03-Nov-13 13:35:37

Arya - I think you're taking a flippant comment way too personally.

Ememem84 Sun 03-Nov-13 13:36:07

I bloody love people like that. Makes me feel smug because I'm relatively normal.

Mil has iPad. She uses to take photos. We bought her a new shiny camera for her birthday. Hopefully she'll get the message.

Comfysoft Sun 03-Nov-13 13:41:52

I have wondered this too. Not only do they take shit photos people using them as camera's look utter twats.
Last week we were out somewhere on a tour and someone pulls out their ipad to take a picture; we did snigger when someone else said oh look another ipad idiot on the loose and then someone else on the tour made the comment about ipad photographers being like Dom Joly with his giant mobile phone.

It does seem a lot of people think it's twattish and fairly unsociable.

I have a fab tiny camera that I use all the time. It's about the same size as my mobile so fits in a pocket I do sometimes use my phone too but prefer the features and better quality pics my camera gives me.

Ememem84 Sun 03-Nov-13 13:43:35

Admittedly I have been known to be one of those twats who goes out to dinner. And takes pictures of food. Especially it it looks pretty....so I guess that's just as bad...! Dh can't stand it.

Sparklingbrook Sun 03-Nov-13 13:46:52

In a crowded place where everyone is trying to get a picture of whatever it is, it is really annoying.

Scenery, out in the open it is less so.

Comfysoft Sun 03-Nov-13 13:49:44

Ememem I am also a saddo food photographer. My teen dc are mortified when I start snapping pretty food. Makes it all the more fun.grin grin

Howsuper Sun 03-Nov-13 13:53:26

Mum with Ipad was in front of me at my dd's assembly filming it all.

a) Who ACTUALLY watches back a 30 minute assembly ?

b) MOVE IT YOU SELFISH ARSE - I CAN'T SEE A BLOODY THING!

Sparklingbrook Sun 03-Nov-13 13:55:57

Was that allowed How? she would have been rugby tackled to the ground by the Head wouldn't she?

It's for the same reason that, when the spring term started last year, mums in our playground were loudly telling their startled children 'if you don't stop doing that imaginary thing, I will take your iPad off you. And tell your sister I will do the same to her' while looking around to see who was Paying Attention grin

Howsuper Sun 03-Nov-13 13:57:32

No, no-one did a thing. Nor did I to be honest - how lame am I?!

flowery Sun 03-Nov-13 13:58:01

There was a woman with an iPad in the kids pool at Center Parcs last week taking photos of kids coming down the slides. Was I BU to hope one of the bigger kids made a splashier slide exit than expected....?

Sparklingbrook Sun 03-Nov-13 13:58:50

You had better be prepared for the Christmas Play How. Join the PTA and get on the front row. wink

Howsuper Sun 03-Nov-13 14:00:59

I think if it had been the Christmas play I would have put my British reserve and embarrassment aside and shoved it up her arse asked her to move it.

MrsBennetsEldest Sun 03-Nov-13 14:03:41

I have an iPad, I have an iPhone. I will use whichever device pleases me. I really couldn't care less what anyone else uses.

Lighthousekeeping Sun 03-Nov-13 14:16:49

They are too heavy anyway

Trills Sun 03-Nov-13 14:18:23

Arya I didn't say that nobody could possibly have a good reason for using an ipad as a camera. Some people might have a good reason. But since onlookers can't see that good reason, they will still look as if they are just being a twat.

As you said, she probably doesn't care, because the benefit of being able to take photos outweighs the incredibly minor problem of "strangers thinking you are being slightly twattish".

Sparklingbrook Sun 03-Nov-13 14:20:04

Using an IPad as a camera comes under 'things you can do but really shouldn't' IMO.

Enough people do it though.

RedToothBrush Bosnia-Herzegovina Sun 03-Nov-13 14:22:22

I understand why they do it.

Because they have no idea about how to take a good photo and just like taking snaps.

Nowt wrong with it, except someone taking a photo with an ipad is ten times more annoying that someone with a phone or a camera due to the size of the blessed thing getting in the way, and the fact that since they rather clueless, then tend to have a general lack of awareness of what anyone else around them is doing.

At least if you are genuinely into photography you tend to have an interest in everything and everyone around you... so that the photo is actually decent. And you wouldn't take a photo with an ipad if you wanted a decent picture cause its not going to take good images because of the technology it uses.

EmmelineGoulden Sun 03-Nov-13 15:03:32

I sometimes use my iPad because it takes better photos than my phone (which is old). Also, sometimes I'm taking photos for a project that I mainly do on my iPad (editing, incorporating into some other document and publishing or sharing). Saves the step of transferring the photo from whatever else I've used to my iPad.

Also the image on my iPad is a lot easier to see than the one on my Phone (part of the reason I get better photos with it).

fruitloop84 Sun 03-Nov-13 15:17:14

My mil does this, I will never understand it, fil has a fantastic and v easy to use camera, but she has to use HER iPad or rubbish old film(!) camera

ParkerTheThief Sun 03-Nov-13 15:18:56

Emmeline,you can set your iphone and ipad to her the same photostream so a photo you have taken on your phone appeaRs on your ipad.

Vagndidit Sun 03-Nov-13 15:31:49

I remember noticing the same sort of thing last year while visiting Paris--tons of hypersensitive, paranoid tour groups all incredibly uptight about the potential for pickpockets throughout the city, yet were quite comfortable hoisting £500 electronics over their heads.

EmmelineGoulden Sun 03-Nov-13 15:37:46

I could Parker, if I wanted to use iCloud and a huge amount of bandwidth while I was out and about. But I don't.

MadAsFish Sun 03-Nov-13 15:41:01

I have an iPad, I have an iPhone. I will use whichever device pleases me. I really couldn't care less what anyone else uses.

Or who I inconvenience, or whose view I block while commandeering far more space than necessary. Charming.

5madthings Sun 03-Nov-13 15:43:13

Oh I saw someone doing this the either day, walking down street, baby had fallen asleep and they took out massive iPad and started talking pics, I was like wtf?!!

I just use my phone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now