Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To not understand why people use an ipad as a camera when out and about

(128 Posts)
Verycold Sun 03-Nov-13 12:26:56

Surely it's big, and very expensive, and doesnt even take great photos??

FortyDoorsToNowhere Sun 03-Nov-13 12:30:42

I have an amazing camera but 95% of the time I use my iphone. It's just easier

Picturesinthefirelight Sun 03-Nov-13 12:32:51

Because I never think to take a camera anywhere with me (don't have an iPad but dh dies & he always has it with him.

Verycold Sun 03-Nov-13 12:33:00

Yes same here, just don't understand the ipad thing!

JacqueslePeacock Sun 03-Nov-13 12:37:11

I don't get this either, really. Am I missing something? The pictures my ipad takes are terrible quality - really dire.

MrTumblesKnickers Sun 03-Nov-13 12:42:14

I recently went to a very busy museum where a woman spent ages photographing a very tiny exhibit with her ipad. No one else could see the exhibit (unless you looked at her screen). Everyone in the queue behind her was hmm.

Trills Sun 03-Nov-13 12:54:45

There is no circumstance in which using an ipad as a camera does not make you look like a twat.

Meglet Sun 03-Nov-13 12:55:08

Yanbu. They're big and expensive, if I had one I wouldn't be lugging around on days out. My camera or phone camera work just fine.

Trills Sun 03-Nov-13 12:55:42

I wonder how many people have a iPad (and carry it around) but don't have a smartphone (which could be used as a camera without looking so twattish).

I would guess no more than 5 in the entire country.

LoopaDaLoopa Sun 03-Nov-13 12:56:30

Because mine (mini) lives in my handbag

Sparklingbrook Sun 03-Nov-13 12:57:31

I think it's odd. We went on an tour of Anfield Stadium and one child spent the whole time taking pictures on an I Pad and blocking other people's views. Surely a good compact digital camera is less antisocial.

And YY to what Trills said.

I do veeeeery rarely. If its a photo i want to upload to the internet straight away, as my ipad has inclusive data, but my phone doesnt. But as i said, very rare.

NoComet Sun 03-Nov-13 13:08:03

Even a small child, with the iPad in a big pink case looks daft. An adult would look ridiculous.

SunshineMMum Sun 03-Nov-13 13:09:19

YANBU I went to a cathedral recently and because I am 5ft all I could see was white squares!

Sparklingbrook Sun 03-Nov-13 13:09:24

I would worry that someone would stroll past and snatch it off me while i was taking the pictures, or follow me with a view to nicking it.

Ememem84 Sun 03-Nov-13 13:18:57

I hate this. Proper annoys me. We went whale watching in nz when we were there. I was one of the few using a camera. One lady (American tourist) used iPad. Leaned over the side of the boat. Dropped iPad in the sea. Then complained to the guide. Who had warned us to use camera straps. Not to lean over etc.

Have also been on museums & galleries where people just look at things through iPad. I don't understand it. One woman at Tate Britain was Skypeing someone while walking around. Showing them the exhibits.

Sparklingbrook Sun 03-Nov-13 13:22:23

Hahaha at dropping it in the sea Emem. grin

ThePitOfStupid Sun 03-Nov-13 13:25:25

Emem, how did she word that complaint?

"It appears I am a total nincompoop, why didn't you arrange for me to be edited out of the gene pool?"

Sparklingbrook Sun 03-Nov-13 13:26:52

I would have filmed her complaining on my Ipad. grin

Heartbrokenmum73 Sun 03-Nov-13 13:28:18

Two words.

Showing.off.

AryaUnderfoot Sun 03-Nov-13 13:29:09

My older sister is severely sight impaired (less than 2:60 vision). Using an iPad has enabled her to take photos, after having been unable to do so for 20 years.

I guess she really doesn't care if she 'looks a twat' doing so.

tolittletoolate Sun 03-Nov-13 13:29:19

agree totally, they look like twats!

Heartbrokenmum73 Sun 03-Nov-13 13:30:04

Arya - surely, your sister is an exception though?

AryaUnderfoot Sun 03-Nov-13 13:34:15

Yes, Heartbroken, she is an exception.

According to Trills, however, there is no circumstance that makes someone taking a photo on an iPad not look a twat.

Ememem84 Sun 03-Nov-13 13:34:27

It was brilliant. She was a nightmare from start to finish. Shoved everyone out if her way so her and god awful kids could go at the front of the boat. Where kids proceeded to get sea sick cos it was le bumpy.
Asked the guide which side the whales would jump out. Said she'd sue if we didn't see any. (We were warned we might not because duh, they're wild). Then said she'd sue because of her lost iPad. Demanded the tour replaced it. They said no.

It. Was. Hilarious.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now