to be shocked by subtitles?

(34 Posts)
riskit4abiskit Sun 03-Nov-13 11:47:40

I am not hard of hearing but I have a young baby who feeds very noisily, cries loudly and a husband whose sleep needs to be undisturbed as he is doing 12hr shifts at the moment.
Therefore I have been having the volume on the tv low and subtitles on.

I have been shocked by how crap they are. On live programmes I can understand the difficulty of accurate typing, although there are many mistakes. On prerecorded tv, for example I am watching atlantis, there is a lag so that the dialogue is considerably behind the action.

It makes me have sympathy for those who unlike me may depend on this service. So..with technology as fab as it is, AIBU to expect this service to be better?

BurlyShassey Sun 03-Nov-13 18:32:51

YANBU. we need them here too. also that when the st aren't moved to a differentpart of the screen when a title (someones name and whatth ey do for example) comes on the screen and the st's hide it!

some AREbizzare though,an d agree, why they missout lines altogether hen here prerecorded?

ad some channels don't have st's at all?

GobbySadcase Sun 03-Nov-13 17:25:37

Yeah, I generally need them. They're shite.
Mind you at least they bother. The Discovery channels don't.

I have also been developing a bit of an addiction to the audio description facility. It is very soothing.

I don't/can't watch unsubtitled programmes, and now DH is so used to them he struggles without too blush

They vary, let's be honest. Sometimes it's like the subtitler hasn't even been given a cast list, so they don't give the characters' names properly when they're referred to or addressed. That's bloody confusing.

Sometimes music is properly subtitled, it is just like karaoke grin

jeanmiguelfangio Sun 03-Nov-13 16:01:46

We have the subtitles on for the same reason OP and I completely agree!! They are rubbish, I was watching the Simpsons today and they actually made up sentences for the subtitles that were completely different from what they were saying!!
I always wonder how those who are hard of hearing or deaf know what songs sound like. I was watching a programme and for example music will come on and the titles say the name of the song- how is that helpful!!

I'm another that relies on them. I got stopped not long back by someone trying to flog me Sky. I told him that there was no way I would get Sky as their subtitling is appalling. My parents have it and most of the channels that are Sky only don't have subtitles. Why would I pay for channels I can't watch?

Tanith Sun 03-Nov-13 14:37:16

Yanbu sad

I have struggled with them for years. Channel 4 News is surreal in its awfulness! It can produce some real comedy, though smile
I think the BBC are the best.

I really cannot see why they are so bad in this day and age - and it's shocking that some programmes and films still do not have subtitles. I can understand the older ones, but it's inexcusable in the newer ones.

ZingWantsCake Sun 03-Nov-13 13:27:59

I always have subtitles on - I can't always understand certain accents.

we laugh so much at the live ones - especially when there are things like tits or cock!grin

NoComet Sun 03-Nov-13 13:19:36

YANBU,
My hearing isn't brilliant and DD2s is the utter opposite, so I stick subtitles on so as not to deafen her or wake her and DD1 up at night.

They can be awful. Mastermind puts the answers up too soon, other things lag and live stuff is unusable.

Adverts are hilarious, so far behind you get them blending into each other.

riskit4abiskit Sun 03-Nov-13 13:14:40

Haha rusty bear!

riskit4abiskit Sun 03-Nov-13 13:14:17

Interesting, I didnt know about the voice recognition software. If its anything like the one on my phone it explains a lot.

RustyBear Sun 03-Nov-13 13:11:53

My favourite was Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall - admittedly a bit of a challenge, but I think it could have done better than 'Cue the family wedding stall...'

riskit4abiskit Sun 03-Nov-13 13:06:54

I noticed also that they dont type the swear words on some programmes!

MammaTJ Sun 03-Nov-13 12:28:49

YANBU, I worked in a residential home for the elderly and they always had the subtitles on. Oh my goodness! I went so far as to ask a deaf friend of mine if she could understand the news.

RegTheMonkey Sun 03-Nov-13 12:27:17

They're done using voice recognition software. The subtitler sits watching and listening to what is happening on screen and simultaneously repeats what they are hearing into a mic that translates their voice onto onscreen text.

cozietoesie Sun 03-Nov-13 12:24:07

BBC guidelines. Interesting, although I haven't read them thoroughly.

More interesting is the proposed Ofcom review which is what, I suspect, is being referred to above. We'll see what happens.

Theincidental Sun 03-Nov-13 12:21:27

I absolutely hate them too.

The signing for shows has got better over the years though and most children's shows seem to have a signed version.

However, it's hard trying to find them on the planner and also recording adult shows with sign that are screened in the wee small hours is a pain.

It's just frustrating and sloppy in general. The bbc are better than any of the other channels by a country mile, but I wish there was properly accessible television.

If channels can run a +1 hour channel and an HD channel as well as their main one, why is it so hard to run one that is signed?

YANBU OP, I agree.
I can't watch TV without subtitles due to the severity of my hearing impairment but sometimes they are so crap I have to give up.

I watched a film on ITV2 last night with DS and quickly realised that they were only subtitling every other line - WTF was the point of that? I gave up and went on MN.

Quoteunquote Sun 03-Nov-13 12:18:57

On many TV programs, dramas, films, if you use subtitles, you may as well be watching a totally different program.

IamChristmas Sun 03-Nov-13 12:16:21

The weirdest thing I've noticed is sometimes the language gets softened for the subtitles, so for example I was watching a film once where an actor said "shit" it came up on the subtitles as "sugar" like the hard of hearing need to be protected from bad language!!

They often give up completely on BBC Breakfast. You might be right MrsC I hadn't thought of that.

manticlimactic Sun 03-Nov-13 12:10:26

I think you're right MrsCakes. I seem to remember reading something about voice recognition. My mum has to have them on and they are awful. Time lags, wrong words and if the person talking has a strong accent it's all gobbledegook.

Also - I've always suspected that the ones on live programmes like BBC Breakfast aren't typed at all - but are some sort of bizarre voice recognition software. Sometimes it is like watching someone using predictive texting.

They are sometimes brilliant, sometimes funny but the live ones, with the enormous lag and whole bits of conversation missing, are dire.
I wouldn't want to be without subtitles even though I don't have hearing problems that stop me hearing the TV (real people conversations are a trickier business altogether - I wish people came with subtitles).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now