To wonder why people who appear to dislike religion enjoy Christian celebrations

(509 Posts)
Cupcake1985 Sun 03-Nov-13 11:08:57

I know that most people enjoy Christmas, Easter etc with no regard for the actual Christian basis and meaning of the celebration, but aibu to think that those people should then not get all offended by the religious aspects and sometimes be downright rude about it?? The nativity play, spreading the word of god through carol singing etc..... Dare I mention operation Christmas child?! If you enjoy Christmas then at least try to accept it is actually about the birth of Christ or at least respect that others will celebrate this fact and may try to share that with those around them with the best intentions.

Basically cheer up, be accepting, be kind.

HolofernesesHead Sun 10-Nov-13 12:20:24

Octopus - we Anglicans confess our sins every time we celebrate communion. It's quite early on in the service. Personal confession, the sacrament of reconciliation is there in the Anglican tradition and is actually making a bit of a comeback as people recognise its value. The classic Anglican attitude towards personal confession is this: all may, none must, some should.

VikingLady Sun 10-Nov-13 19:51:22

I will try them. I like chestnuts. Preferably roasted on an open fire, with Jack Frost nipping at my toes.

Jack Frost? You pagan!

octopusinastringbag Sun 10-Nov-13 21:37:56

Holo, yes I remember it. I also recall seeing a vicar for the purposes of confession, RC style as there is a thing for it in the C of E book of rites - I can't remember what it is called now, sorry. I used to be C of E in the dim past.

AnyBagsofOxfordFuckers Sun 10-Nov-13 22:09:54

I hate mince pies AND marrons glacés. I am a lone wolf in the wilderness, AWWOOOOOOOO!

Beastofburden Mon 11-Nov-13 08:03:54

A true non believer, any. Can I tempt you with smoked salmon perhaps? Are you more of the savoury persuasion?

Coupon Tue 12-Nov-13 17:48:51

Yes death and rebirth appear in mythical stories but Jesus was a historical figure who had no need to derive his story from anywhere. Having similarities doesn't make things the same.

As for Adam, yes of course the life/death/resurrection of Jesus still make sense even if Adam and Eve are metaphorical. The "fall" represents where human beings have chosen not to live in a way that would honour a God of love/kindness. If you don't take it literally it just means you're not a fundamentalist.

friday16 Tue 12-Nov-13 17:58:58

Yes death and rebirth appear in mythical stories but Jesus was a historical figure who had no need to derive his story from anywhere.

But his later followers did need to match the existing muths. Unless you're seriously claiming that the resurrection is an historical fact, as opposed to a myth or allegory, in which case we're outside the world of factual debate.

ivykaty44 Tue 12-Nov-13 18:08:00

We have a midwinter celebration around the 25-1 jan each year, this depends on how long we get off work. We have present swapping, cake making dinner on the 24th December a large lunch on 25th and a lot of games then seeing family and friends. We have a annual visit to a duck race (not real ducks but yellow plastic ducks) and a few other traditions - holly and ivy on the table and candles, lights around the house and outside to brighten up December.

As for Adam, yes of course the life/death/resurrection of Jesus still make sense even if Adam and Eve are metaphorical. The "fall" represents where human beings have chosen not to live in a way that would honour a God of love/kindness. If you don't take it literally it just means you're not a fundamentalist.

Christians have been saying "oh but it's metaphorical" for so long it must sound reasonable to their ears. This sorry excuse for an explanation would have got me burned at the stake for the first 16 centuries or so if I had put it forward. Can you imagine it? "he said Adam & Eve didn't exist! kill the unbeliever!"

And of course there are thousands or millions of christians today who will say you must be sent by the devil to even suggest it. Are you sure they are not right?
smile

I see that the Catholic Cardinal George Pell shocked people when he said Adam & Eve were a myth and that was only in 2012 so this belief in the truth of the bible can't be completely dismissed as fundamentalist. I imagine if I checked I'd only have to go back about 4 popes to find one that said Adam & Eve were real and they should know after all.

This rewritten version makes even less sense than the original. If The Fall depends on the behaviour of everyone - including those not born yet - then the fall hasn't happened yet. The whole point was that it was something that happened back then. And what will god do if even one person chooses to live in a way that would honour a God of love/kindness? They would not then have fallen so the rules wouldn't allow for them existing.

So it's not just the one little story in the OT you have to fix to make it make sense. References to the crucifixion and the reason for it are are all over the place. It would be easier to start again with a new bible, a new name and a new religion.

oh and "a God of love/kindness"? which one would that be? Apollo?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now