How soon would you expect to hear from a very close family member about a new baby?

(85 Posts)
Thurlow Sat 02-Nov-13 21:23:45

Genuinely unsure if anyone is being unreasonable (and the situation has the potential to spiral) here so would like the MN jury to help.

If a very close family member i.e. sister/in-law, brother/in-law had a baby (say DC4), and given mobile phones and the ease of sending a text or email even if it's not a phone call, how soon would you expect to hear the news? Or alternatively, how soon did you send a some sort of message to parents, in-laws, siblings, best friends etc?

everlong Sat 02-Nov-13 21:25:14

Within the day I reckon.

Have you been waiting longer?

Floralnomad Sat 02-Nov-13 21:26:23

I would expect to be told within an hour or so of the birth ,assuming no problems with mum/ baby .

Unplastered Sat 02-Nov-13 21:26:32

I've only got 1 DC. DH knew straight away, obviously :-) he then phoned the grandparents, etc, while I was being stitched, so within a couple of hours.

ladymalfoy Sat 02-Nov-13 21:27:13

Could be all sorts of reasons why there is a delay in telling you. Maybe they want time to themselves before the polite demands to see the baby begin.
Does it matter if it's number four? Don't they get to decide when to tell people?

Annunziata Sat 02-Nov-13 21:27:17

Depends on time of birth and health of mum and baby. If everything goes well, within about 12 hours I think.

littleoaktree Sat 02-Nov-13 21:27:20

I called my dm and dsis straight away (well 5-10mins after grin and sent a text to close family/friends within 1-2hours of both dc1 and dc2 but then I had v straightforward quick births.

My dsis doesn't have dc yet but with close friends I've heard within a day and that's about what I'd expect I guess - either from the new mum if she's up to it or the new dad if she's not.

Trixybelle Sat 02-Nov-13 21:27:22

Parents/in laws within the hour. They told siblings, extended family. 8 hours for my friends as I gave birth at midnight, by the time I was in recovery and had a bit of sleep it was probably 8am I called/text.

headlesslambrini Sat 02-Nov-13 21:27:31

We told immediate family within the hour, especially my Dad who was worrying about me.

AngelsLieToKeepControl Sat 02-Nov-13 21:28:00

Whenever they were ready. I spent a couple of days in a bubble of just dh and I and our baby with my dc. I loved it.

RandomMess Sat 02-Nov-13 21:28:01

Depends in our family - what time they were delivered (mainly middle of the night) - grandparents told and then news filtered out to others.

If you're not hugely close then it could take a couple of days?

mummybare Sat 02-Nov-13 21:28:03

Agree, within a day or so. Siblings had to wait a few hours as DH couldn't get through to the DILs and we wanted to do it in the right order grin - but we let them know within a few hours.

Floralnomad Sat 02-Nov-13 21:28:18

Also assuming its not the middle of the night ,in which case I'd expect a text by 9/10 ish in the morning .

Smartiepants79 Sat 02-Nov-13 21:29:11

Within 24 hours if you usually have a good/close family relationship.
However, it can be a very stressful and overwhelming time. For the sake of continuing family harmony I would try not to make too big a deal about it.

stargirl1701 Sat 02-Nov-13 21:29:38

Depends on the circs. If mum or baby poorly then I would expect only the grandparents would be contacted.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Sat 02-Nov-13 21:29:45

Within the day. Possibly the next day if it was a home birth and they just want a bit of time alone to start with.

Beastofburden Sat 02-Nov-13 21:30:10

24 hours family, 3 days close friends.

superzero Sat 02-Nov-13 21:30:41

I texted everyone in the recovery room after each of my c-sections,so within 2 hours of delivery, and have heard from most of my friends/sisters within the same kind of time frame after their deliveries

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 02-Nov-13 21:30:43

Within the day I suppose.

Why are you asking though? Has there been a delay which is making you concerned all is not well?

strruglingoldteach Sat 02-Nov-13 21:31:33

With both DDs we had called/texted within a couple of hours- basically as soon as I was showered, had fed the baby and had some tea.

If I were the relative, I'd expect to hear the same day, or by about lunchtime if it were an evening/night birth.

OHforDUCKScake Sat 02-Nov-13 21:31:56

Well the Dad knew instantly wink

But DC2 was born at 3am, I assumed Dp(at the time) was going to text my mum but he didnt hmm so I messaged her at 9am, and the my friend at 12pm she passed on my news.

invicta Sat 02-Nov-13 21:34:24

Within 24 hours. Maybe longer if there are concerns about the baby/mother.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Sat 02-Nov-13 21:36:36

Took two hours as I haemorrhaged. You can't assume anything!

Badvoc Sat 02-Nov-13 21:36:58

As long as mum and baby were ok and no complications within 12 hours.

nobutreally Sat 02-Nov-13 21:39:37

Honestly? As long as I found out somehow, I wouldn't give a stuff whether it was the parents who told me or I heard in another way. I think when my BIL had his pfb I knew through our PIL - I dont think they actually told us themselves. Which was totally fine. I would expect family to manage the filtering of news out, so that the parents could focus on their lovely new baby <soppy>
IIrc, we only told grandparents directly - everyone else heard on grapevine/when we got round to fb post (prob about 4 days after for our pfb, who was prem so knocking in & out of scbu)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now