to ask if there's actually anything to do in Bournemouth

(112 Posts)
PaulineWhatsername Sat 02-Nov-13 19:01:03

I'm going to visit 22 year old DD in mid November, Friday to Sunday. She's working down there for a few months, but doesn't know the area well.

Is there actually anything to do in Bournemouth at this time of year?

reelingintheyears Sat 02-Nov-13 20:13:19

Not much.
Where's she working?

reelingintheyears Sat 02-Nov-13 20:14:36

Shops?
Christchurch is nice or out to the New Forest for the day. Lyndhurst or Lymington?

TeenAndTween Sat 02-Nov-13 20:18:51

Aquarium is good, right near the beach.
Gardens are pretty.
Moors Valley Country Park nearby is nice.
Might be something on at the BIC.

reelingintheyears Sat 02-Nov-13 20:20:45

Moors Valley is lovely but I wouldn't bother at this time of year.
Check out the BIC website is a good idea.

Do you like the Aquarium, the last time I went it was crap.

Mynewmoniker Sat 02-Nov-13 20:35:49

Days oriental buffet if you like food. Have a look on their website. It's a nice experience and cheaper in the afternoon but there are even more dishes and even a chocolate fountain in the evening.

Cinema near Pavilion.

Bythebeach Sat 02-Nov-13 20:39:05

A brisk walk in Hengistbury head, past the beach huts in mudeford spit, coffee in the cafe and land train back! Can't beat it.

ventilatormum Sat 02-Nov-13 20:49:44

Russell Cotes art gallery and museum - quirky and interesting

YesterdayI Sat 02-Nov-13 20:53:51

Not the cinemas next to the pavilion - some of the screens are tiny and the seating is rubbish.

Hengisbury Head is nice or a walk around Christchurch.

I like lymington too.

Otherwise a stroll around the town centre is ok.

reelingintheyears Sat 02-Nov-13 20:53:52

I was on the East Overcliff this afternoon with the dog, the wind was mad.

Hengistbury head is a good walk, might go up there tomorrow.

soverylucky Sat 02-Nov-13 20:59:05

Lovely walks around hengistbury head but also round alum chine too at the opposite end. If shopping is your thing there is the town centre or go out to castle point. go to boscombe if you like second hand shops and a more quirky atmosphere. Christchurch is quiet with lots of nice little cafes. The priory there is a lovely Norman building if history is your thing. Southbourne beach is nice for a walk. The aquarium is ok and Bournemouth gardens are good for a walk round too. Drive out to Lyndhurst or burley to see some nice parts of the new forest. You could also go further west of Bournemouth and see lulworth cove, or corfe castle.

SIL lives in Bournemouth I discovered two favourite things there when we visited. Firstly, a shop called Molly's Den which sells retro and vintage stuff (clothes, homewares, toys etc), plus lots of lovely art deco stuff and jewellery and a million things besides and also we went to a café which did the most amazing milkshakes and had some great food. I think it was called Flirt Café Bar. The staff were awesome too.

LocalEditorBournemouth Sat 02-Nov-13 23:17:31

Hi Pauline,

What do you and your DD enjoy? There's still lots to do in Bournemouth and the surrounding areas in the winter.

How about Go Ape at Moors Valley?

Talkinpeace Sat 02-Nov-13 23:23:15

(((((Russell Coates)))))
the Aquarium
the central parks if its not raining
then go along to Boscombe and check out the tat shops - wonderful ... antiques and retro and vintage and you name it
and actaully the beach is great fun even in winter - wrap up warm and be daft

reelingintheyears Sat 02-Nov-13 23:27:25

Boscombe?
There are some new vintage, retro shops there but more towards Pokesdown and that's a bit of a walk.
Boscombe precinct is a dump, all boarded up shops and poundshops with a few charity shops too.
The only big shop now is Primark.
For shops i'd rather go into Bournemouth.

reelingintheyears Sat 02-Nov-13 23:29:53

There's bugger all in the Arcade any more and the Sovereign centre is barely worth a look at.

LocalEditorBournemouth Sat 02-Nov-13 23:31:21

Sorry posted too soon. You could also take a trip up in the Bournemouth Balloon or visit Brownsea Island.

There is also a vintage shopping community in Pokesdown which is between Bournemouth and Christchurch.

Alternatively there are a lot of hotels that offer afternoon tea which is a nice treat: Christchurch Harbour, The Print Room Bournemouth, Harbour Heights Poole

reelingintheyears Sat 02-Nov-13 23:33:27

Where's the vintage shopping community?
I know there's a few vintage shops by Pokesdown.

Talkinpeace Sat 02-Nov-13 23:36:10

Ah, ok its been moving east over the last 20 years !
Brownsea closes in the winter
Christchurch is still sweet but do allow several hours to enjoy
www.education.gov.uk/popularquestions/a005553/how-many-schools-are-there-in-england?
just a wonderful place - and so much nicer views now the imax is gone!

LocalEditorBournemouth Sat 02-Nov-13 23:50:48

Sorry misread the opening times for Brownsea island. It's only open to prebooked groups in the winter. blush It is lovely though!

I enjoy looking at the vintage shops in Pokesdown. There were definitely more then a few last time I went.

Definitely agree about the view now that the Imax has gone!

reelingintheyears Sat 02-Nov-13 23:54:52

Yep, the IMAX building was awful.
The only good thing was the Harbour Lights restaurant at the top, the views were fantastic and the food affordable.
The Coriander on Richmond hill does very good Mexican food all day and there are Tapas bars in town just round the corner.

LocalEditorBournemouth Sat 02-Nov-13 23:58:07

Oooh yes! Go to Tapas Plus. Lovely food.

merlin Sat 02-Nov-13 23:59:39

Captains Club in Xchurch for a glass of bubbly overlooking the river.
Walk over Hengistbury, noseying at the expensive beach huts we can't afford!
Westbourne has a nice mix of shops/bars/cafés.
Ditto Xchurch

reelingintheyears Sun 03-Nov-13 00:02:14

LocalEditorBournemouth When does the German market arrive in the square?

merlin Sun 03-Nov-13 00:03:38

Urban Reef for great food right on the beach. Fab breakfasts!!
WestBeach by Bournemouth pier for yummy seafood.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now