To have wanted to say something to this family on the bus?

(31 Posts)
DingbatsFur Sat 02-Nov-13 11:39:56

On the bus yesterday with my mother. She is disabled and walks with a cane. We get on the bus and sit in two seats a couple of rows from the front.
The seats marked for disabled and wheelchair passengers are already taken up by a young woman reading a kindle and two parents with an able bodied 8-9 year old girl. These are seats that flip up so prams and wheelchairs can come on.
A woman with a pushchair gets on the bus with a man wearing dark glasses and carrying a cane. He is obviously blind and they are all together.
The family of three just sit there. The girl with the kindle just sits there. The woman with the pram has to block the aisle. Eventually the kindle woman notices the blind man and gets up. The family of three just sits. Even the little girl looked uncomfortable that her parents were not moving.
I was shocked but couldn't find the correct polite words for 'move your arses'.
I should add there was plenty more room further back on the bottom of the bus and up top. I woul have offered them my seat but it would have been useless as It wasn't near the pram friendly seats.

saintmerryweather Sat 02-Nov-13 23:22:41

didnt any of those people have a tongue in their heads to ask for the seat themselves?

WestieMamma Sun 03-Nov-13 02:04:04

This is why I gave up going to university, because of the abuse I got on the bus on the way. I used the priority seats because I can't walk down a moving bus because my condition affects my balance. I'm also autistic and non-verbal with confrontational strangers. So because I don't respond to being challenged by judgmental busybodies I've been shouted at, sworn at, spat at, been hit with a brolly and had a book thrown at me.

MadAsFish Sun 03-Nov-13 08:00:01

didnt any of those people have a tongue in their heads to ask for the seat themselves?

I think the point of the thread is that they shouldn't have to.

saintmerryweather Sun 03-Nov-13 08:07:48

well my family have always said 'if you dont ask you dont get'. i hate all this passive aggressive comments and people saying 'nobody gave me their seat'... if you want a seat bloody well speak up and ask for one. even if the person you ask doesnt give it up, someone else will be shamed into doing so

sherazade Sun 03-Nov-13 09:36:11

I still don't get why you didn't just offer up your seat to the blind man, was he actually in the pushchair, hence why you feel he needed to be in the pushchair aisle?

I remember getting on the Underground with a friend of mine who has a visible disability. As we were boarding the train, a couple pushed past us and sat in the seats that are intended for less able passengers.

I helped my friend on, and quietly pointed out to the people who'd pushed past us that my friend needed the seat more than they could, and politely asked them to move. They got up, mumbling apologies and sat elsewhere.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now