So, who's seat is it ?

(124 Posts)
Trifle Sat 02-Nov-13 01:41:52

We booked a package holiday for a week but dp's work wanted him to return a day early to attend a conference so his work paid for him to fly back on his own.

As we had paid for 4 allocated seats (2 seats in one row and two in the row behind), was I within my rights to insist on using dp's allocated seat so that I got more room to spread out?

The aisle seat also happened to be free so it appeared that there were 2 seats free in the row. Several people seemed to think his 'spare' seat was theirs for the taking until I politely informed them that only the aisle seat was available.

Am I right or wrong ?

nicename Sat 02-Nov-13 08:44:02

They do overbook! That's why it's a nightmare at Christmas and new year, when far fewer people drop a flight.

lisad123everybodydancenow Sat 02-Nov-13 08:46:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

jedishelly1 Sat 02-Nov-13 08:47:33

*whose

You were not being unreasonable. You were however being a bit selfish.

ShinyBlackNose Sat 02-Nov-13 08:49:43

Technically you were in the right. Socially, morally, I think you should be questioning your decision.

I don't think you can book a 2-12 yo ticket for a 2.11 yo toddler. The details on the ticket need to match the passport.

Caitlin17 Sat 02-Nov-13 08:51:38

I'm not sure it was"your seat" from the point your husband didn't check in. Airlines do over book as they know there will be no shows.

I do think you were selfish. I couldn't imagine going through the rigmarole of explaining the seat was taken by , to anyone who asked, my imaginary, invisible travelling companion.

ThisWayForCrazy Sat 02-Nov-13 08:53:22

Hic, we flew with an under 2 and and over 2 this summer. The over 2 had a seat. The under 2 was not allowed one, we couldn't even pay for it. It cost us MORE for the under 2 than the over 2!!

I can't understand how anyone could justify not allowing a family with a toddler using a seat that was spare. So what if you paid for it? No one was sat in it?? Morally it's a bit of a grim thing to do.

TwoMuchTwoYoung Sat 02-Nov-13 08:55:37

So you would rather a toddler had to sit on their parents knee for the whole flight rather than use a seat that you wanted to put your bag on?
Totally and utterly selfish.
Hope you're pleased with your little self.

SidandAndyssextoy Sat 02-Nov-13 08:56:32

Yes, I don't get how it was 'your' seat if your husband didn't check in.

I think you were completely unreasonable and the sort of selfish person that makes life a bit harder for other people. I tell my kids that kind is the most important thing to be.

VeryStressedMum Sat 02-Nov-13 09:03:21

This is not a serious thread biscuit

Jolleigh Sat 02-Nov-13 09:55:49

It's not your seat. It was allocated to your husband who didn't check in, therefore the seat had technically been released.

Would you expect the airline to reserve seats for a whole family who didn't check in?

This is precisely why airlines overbook.

If I were the couple, I'd have plonked the toddler right next to you, sat next to them in the aisle seat and waited with a smug grin on my face while you called a member of the flight crew who'd have said the same thing.

Repeatedlydoingthetwist Sat 02-Nov-13 10:01:19

I don't get it? Why didn't they just use the aisle seat and their own two seats?

Stravy Sat 02-Nov-13 10:07:36

I imagine they didn't book allocated seats so the 'free' aisle seat was there seat, if they sat in it.

ConfusedDotty Sat 02-Nov-13 10:10:01

YABU. I would have given the seat up and I done exactly this a few weeks back. DP and I were travelling and had four paid for seats between the two if us (not more money than sense, it was due to me having a broken leg hmm). As it turned out we only needed three seats. There was a very tall gentleman crammed into his seat so we offered him the extra legroom empty seat. He was very grateful and it was no skin off our nose.

I think you were a little selfish IMO.

redshifter Sat 02-Nov-13 10:12:25

I can see your point OP but rightly or wrongly, technically if you don't check in, you lose rights to the seat. I think.

Though it made me think. Say someone did have more money than sense, would they be able to book 2 seat for just themself? Does anyone know?
Just curious?

MadeOfStarDust Sat 02-Nov-13 10:12:49

It is not your seat unless you have a boarding card for that seat.

If he had checked in then not travelled with you, you are legally obliged to inform the boarding desk when you get there that he is not travelling as part of your party and thus he will not be on the passenger manifest... they would withdraw the boarding card.

So it was not your seat unless you transferred the ticket into YOUR name so that you personally held 2 seats.

Therefore you were wrong and YABU..

mercibucket Sat 02-Nov-13 10:13:31

it was the airline's seat

its not like a train

HaroldLloyd Sat 02-Nov-13 10:13:51

I would not expect the seat in this scenario, your husband didn't book in, the seat I would imagine had been lost.

Not sure why you'd need a spare anyway tbh?

So you left them with the toddler sat on their knee while you had an empty unused seat beside you? You're just lovely aren't you... hmm

bridgetsmum Sat 02-Nov-13 10:20:03

As your DH didn't check in for the flight he would be classed as a "no show" and his allocated seat would have been released. Unless you specifically bought, paid for and had an "extra seat" boarding card issued then it was NOT your seat to use.
You were U and very selfish and wrong to assume the seat was yours

mirandabee Sat 02-Nov-13 10:20:25

yabu

DowntonTrout Sat 02-Nov-13 10:21:56

Actually we have had this happen a few times. If you choose not to fly the seat is no longer yours and will be reallocated if needs be. Just because you paid for it- if you do not travel- the seat is free.

A group of us were travelling once and one person did not fly. Their seat happened to be a middle seat. Lo and behold, someone came along who had been allocated the "spare" middle seat. We all just moved around as that would have been silly.

It sounds like you checked in online- did you then check in baggage? The airline would then know one of you were not flying. However, if the other family have 2 allocated seats and were just presuming to be able to use the spare seat, it's slightly different. But it is just that, a spare seat, not your seat.

Rufus44 Sat 02-Nov-13 10:24:28

Agree with nenny I'm a bit confused about that

It's your seat so do what you want with it, might have been nice to offer it though

If its that discomforting and distressing to fly with a toddler on your lap then don't bloody do it

mirandabee Sat 02-Nov-13 10:24:44

I'm surprised the cabin crew didn't intervene, OP

bridgetsmum Sat 02-Nov-13 10:26:52

Rufus it was not op's seat, her DH failed to check in, therefore he was a no show and his allocated seat was released.

octopusinastringbag Sat 02-Nov-13 10:27:16

If the airline give you a refund then the seat is their seat. Otherwise you have paid for the seat and can use it, though I think it would be very petty not to let a toddler sit there if the alternative is them being on their parent's knee all the way back. It's pretty selfish IMO.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now