To think everyone uses leftovers

(348 Posts)
moogy1a Thu 31-Oct-13 18:36:52

Certain smug, lispy, fat tongued chefs make a living at the moment by telling people not to throw perfectly good food away if you've cooked too much.
Surely no one does anyway?
Would anyone really cook say a roast chicken, not eat it all, so bin it rather than keep for sarnies / stir fry/ nibbling at secretly in the kitchen?
Do you bin leftover food or use it later?

QueenStromba Mon 04-Nov-13 12:57:04

We mostly do planned overs - it's hardly any more effort to do a huge pot of Bolognese sauce than it is to do one meal's worth (in fact it's easier because you don't end up with half an onion, half a pepper etc). I love it when there are actual leftovers though - yesterday's fish pie or shepherd's pie is my favourite lunch. I can't believe that someone up thread chucks perfectly good lasagne because it's not a full portion - heat it up in a couple of days and have it with some garlic bread or salad for lunch.

I'm shocked by the people who waste so much of a chicken. This is an animal that has lived (probably in pretty crappy conditions) and died so you can eat it. It's bloody disrespectful to not use the whole animal. If you're only going to eat the breasts then only buy the breasts - that way the rest of the animal will be eaten by someone else.

GinOnTwoWheels Sun 03-Nov-13 19:55:39

I usually plan to have leftovers, or just follow a recipe for 4 without bothering to half the amounts, even though 99% of the time, its just me and DP. It reduces the amount of times I need to cook smile.

I like the term 'planned overs' as thats usually what it is for me. Taking an extreme example, the Christmas dinner I cook usually involves a single massive turkey breast and a whole ham or a beef joint, that is probably enough meat for about 20 people, but we will eat loads of it over Christmas and I will slice and freeze loads of meat, which I then reheat in gravy as a shortcut roast dinner over the next few months. Its not unusual for us to be still eating the Christmas dinner turkey at Easter grin. I think the meat reheats fine like this, although some people say that reheated food is grim. But what do they think ready meals are, or most food that is served in chain restaurants?

Yes
I will buy a large chicken for a family roast with the knowledge it will do us adults as a pie and then chicken burgers afterwards.
Even though it's planned I still refer to them as leftovers.

limitedperiodonly Sun 03-Nov-13 15:56:16

I often cook extra because I'm a fan of the dreaded stew and though there are only two of us, a larger amount works better.

I've some frozen duck and I'm going to do a cassoulet and refreeze it in portions.

It's not going to be a properly-authentic one but it'll be good enough for me.

btw I once asked a waiter at a French restaurant I go to a lot why cassoulet was never on the menu he looked as magnificently disdainful as only the French can. He also didn't reply, so that was me told. grin

I think I blundered into a bit of a cultural/class war there by mentioning it but I think I got out of it wink

failingatlife I think one thing is that people might cook planned extra food but still call it leftovers. I do.

I don't have much actual food leftover from a meal as I am okay at calculating how much food to cook for our family of 4. So no leftover roast potatoes, or veg, etc.

But I do have leftovers that are planned for other meals, eg the pork for Tuesday's risotto, and I still call that leftovers.

However, I do sometimes have problems calculating the right quantity of food when I have extra people coming for dinner, but even then I can usually find a good use for any leftovers.

I am really surprised at the amount of leftovers some people seem to have! Do you not cook for the number of people eating the meal? Maybe over the years I have become better at estimating how much we will actually eat. There are 5 of us and we rarely have leftovers, though I often cook double amounts of casserole, shepherds pie, lasagne etc to go in the freezer for when I am home late, too busy to cook etc. On the rare occasion there is leftovers DH or I will have it for lunch next day.

We certainly re-heat rice here, and never had a problem in all the years I've done this.

If we've ordered too much at the chinese, I often let a rice portion cool down and freeze it straight away in the original packaging. Never had a problem using it later on.

Today I'm roasting a pork joint with enough for leftovers, but as others have said, that's meal planning (I did like the term "planned overs" that someone used grin ).

I don't always use the leftovers the next day, in this case the leftover pork is scheduled to reappear as risotto on Tuesday. If cooled and stored correctly, left overs will last a few days. Even bread going stale can be whizzed into crumbs and frozen to use in all sorts of recipes.

I just don't like wasting food, and DP's the same. And now the DCs are picking up on this attitude and even make suggestions as to what we can do with food now.

unlucky83 Sun 03-Nov-13 13:55:38

(can't believe how easy the web makes things! - I did something on increase in Salmonella cases for a project in 95ish - I had to write in to the public health labs, I think pay a small amount and wait for the reports to be posted out to me ..now just a few clicks of a mouse!)

unlucky83 Sun 03-Nov-13 13:50:06

Food poisoning from rice is a (small) risk - you should do what you can to minimise it...if you don't it doesn't mean you WILL get ill - just you are more likely too...link to no of reported cases in UK...
www.hpa.org.uk/Topics/InfectiousDiseases/InfectionsAZ/BacillusSppFoodPoisoning/EpidemiologicalData/baciDiseasestatistics/

Getting ill from eating certain foods will always be a risk - bad oysters, salmonella from a runny boiled egg, etc, etc
If a restaurant poisons someone they have to prove to Enviro Health that they have shown 'due diligence'- done everything they can to stop that happening ...or they will be fined/prosecuted - poisoning caused by rice stored at room temp would result in a prosecution ...

BumPotato Sun 03-Nov-13 13:45:47

If I was the type that couldn't eat leftovers I'd probably cook up less when making a meal. As it is, when I make any stews, chilli, bolognese, curry and the like I always do too much and box the extra up to freeze and have on can't be arsed cooking days.

If I make DH's favourite, Thai curry, he always takes a box into work the following day for lunch.

I've always reheated rice. I normally freeze boiled basmati rice in bags then nuke them as needed. Have never had any ill after effects.

ringaringarosy Sun 03-Nov-13 11:38:55

do you think some people are less sensitive to things because we quite regularly eat rice thats been in a thermos,the kid have it for lunch all the time at school,and we have never been ill from it?

raggedymum Sun 03-Nov-13 05:50:23

Oh, thanks for the more info about rice! Phew. I already dish out my planned overs into containers before we eat, and let them cool during the meal; I could pre-cool the containers to get the food to cool faster. I might still avoid feeding planned-over rice dishes to DD until she's older, though, just to be on the safe side.

SkullyAndBones Sat 02-Nov-13 23:35:06

yes i know, that i have no objection to!

i was just agreeing with ringarosys point that its annoying when you say you dont like something and people poo-poo it with "well have you tried X" in the belief someones cousins mums recipe will change your mind.

Talkinpeace Sat 02-Nov-13 23:32:34

Skullly
and all of that food will have been cooked and reheated - yummy though !
I had Jamaican last night - fiery but so so good

SkullyAndBones Sat 02-Nov-13 23:30:17

alright, to clarify "the food that is usually served in indian restuarants and from the 'indian' section in the supermarket.

Is that better?

Dh is a huge curry fan, i've tasted most of what he has bought/ordered/cooked over the years, and before that my brother who is another fan of generic 'indian' fare. We go to indian restaurants and i will try what other people are eating.

I dont like any of it, i dont like the spices they use. I dont like the way they smell or the way they taste. The only 'curry' i like is one an award winning local restuarant serves which is actually from Malaysia and the sauce has no spices in it and is largely banana based.

Is that specific enough for you?

Talkinpeace Sat 02-Nov-13 23:17:41

"Indian food"
covers the same range and variety as "European (incl UK) food"
Kashmir to Goa is as Finland is to Spain
an open mind is a good thing

SkullyAndBones Sat 02-Nov-13 23:04:34

because i have tried it in the past and didnt like it.

curlew Sat 02-Nov-13 23:02:22

"However, i dont like indian food and i agree it pisses me off when people say "oh you just havent tried X" no i haven't, and i don't intend to either"

Er- how do you know you don't like it, then?

SkullyAndBones Sat 02-Nov-13 22:59:47

i assume she means Stew, casserole, shepherds pie, cottage pie, bangers and mash, sunday roast, toad in the hole...etc

Meat, Veg, Potato and gravy in some variation.

Personally, i make a fucking awesome stew, and the base of it is almost identical to my cottage pie, just more gravy. Its certainly neither bland, nor tasteless.

However, i dont like indian food and i agree it pisses me off when people say "oh you just havent tried X" no i haven't, and i don't intend to either! grin

curlew Sat 02-Nov-13 22:51:50

Googled. None the wiser. What do you mean by "traditional English food"?

ringaringarosy Sat 02-Nov-13 21:57:46

curlew, google is your friend.

unlucky83 Sat 02-Nov-13 20:32:09

raggedy don't worry !
You just need to cool it asap - quickest is to transfer it from the cooking tin to a plastic -or even a tray that you have cooled in the freezer/fridge -spread out so the heat can disperse quickly - let it cool and then put in fridge within 1 hr or so and you should be fine...
(don't put it in the fridge hot/warm - you will raise the temp of the whole fridge)
Boiling (so 100 deg c) should kill most spores of the main rice bug ...but maybe not all - but as long as you don't leave it hanging about for a day at room temp you should be fine - and make sure you reheat it thoroughly ...
In general even if it makes you ill - (from cooked rice) it is most likely to be the toxins made when it was badly stored - so it is short term - 24 hrs absolute max -it's not nice - but not too bad either!!!
Different from something like salmonella where the actual bacteria is making you ill - it can live in your gut - so the illness lasts much longer and is harder to get rid of...

AdoraBell Sat 02-Nov-13 20:13:16

With rissoto I put it either in a freezer bag or pot and put that in iced water, then freeze it. Plain rice gets cooled as Fluffy said.

bundaberg Sat 02-Nov-13 20:09:05

as long as it's been cooled quickly and kept sensibly and not too long it'll be fine.

you can buy risotto ready meals in supermarkets fgs, if they were that dangerous people would be falling down dead all over the place.

yes, rice can harbour a fairly unpleasant form of bacteria (bacillus cereus) which isn't always killed on initial cooking. ut getting food poisoning from it if you've been careful with food prep, cooling and reheating is really, really, really unlikely

raggedymum Sat 02-Nov-13 19:57:28

But what if it's in a risotto or similar? You can't rise that! I make a lot of dishes like that, and usually with planned overs. Should I not?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now