To think everyone uses leftovers

(348 Posts)
moogy1a Thu 31-Oct-13 18:36:52

Certain smug, lispy, fat tongued chefs make a living at the moment by telling people not to throw perfectly good food away if you've cooked too much.
Surely no one does anyway?
Would anyone really cook say a roast chicken, not eat it all, so bin it rather than keep for sarnies / stir fry/ nibbling at secretly in the kitchen?
Do you bin leftover food or use it later?

SatinSandals Thu 31-Oct-13 19:02:02

As long as it is heated all the way through you are fine.

moogy1a Thu 31-Oct-13 19:03:45

Vivienne do you ever eat ready meals or eat out at pubs/ Frankie and benny/ numerous other mid market places etc? The meals there are most usually cooked at a central place, shipped to individual restaurants, then reheated.

MrsOsbourne Thu 31-Oct-13 19:03:48

What do people think ready meals are ?
Yep- precooked in a factoryshite food that is reheated.

MrsOsbourne Thu 31-Oct-13 19:05:17

xposts moogy grin

Most restaurant food/gastro pub (arf) food is reheated.

sheeplikessleep Thu 31-Oct-13 19:05:31

We fight over leftover steps pie/fish pie/bolognese type meals.
More often we end up with leftover random veg, that get forgotten about and then thrown out.

Viviennemary Thu 31-Oct-13 19:06:17

I know there's no logic to it. I can eat food that isn't cooked and is left over. Like tuna and that's probably even more dodgy.

moogy1a Thu 31-Oct-13 19:07:41

You'll be fine Vivienne just reheat thoroughly . You'll save a fortune and a lot of time. we often have the same thing for dinner then lunch ( or 2 dinners in a row)

wildflowering Thu 31-Oct-13 19:08:48

Do you use the next day or does it keep for a couple of days?

For example I have lasagne I made on Monday night which has been in the fridge, would you reheat that and eat it now?

natwebb79 Thu 31-Oct-13 19:09:24

'Lispy' and 'fat tongued'? Nice! hmm

Jan49 Thu 31-Oct-13 19:09:24

I rarely have food suitable to keep for another day. It's usually just scrapings on the plate and I wouldn't consider them suitable. So no I suppose I don't really use leftovers.

OverMyDeadQODdy Thu 31-Oct-13 19:10:33

Was talking about this with a friend today funnily enough. My dh won't eat
Leftovers at all. He had a deprived childhood and sees having to eat leftovers as being poor.

moogy1a Thu 31-Oct-13 19:10:43

Most things are fine for at least 4 or 5 days. I'd be heating the lasagne and scoffing away!
Honestly, if food is off you can usually smell it very distinctly

darkdays Thu 31-Oct-13 19:11:09

I try to use as much as possible. Even small amounts get frozen in old baby tubs. Can't really afford to waste things.

TerrorMeSue Thu 31-Oct-13 19:14:01

I would reheat and eat lasagne from Monday night, provided it was fridges fairly quickly after cooking and reheated until v hot. Chicken I 'll only keep 2 days.

Dawndonnaagain Thu 31-Oct-13 19:14:11

Tonights left over mash will be in the freezer later and used for fishcakes next week. I'm amazed people chuck perfectly good food.

moogy1a Thu 31-Oct-13 19:17:02

We have a professional offendee!

4yoniD Thu 31-Oct-13 19:19:01

I often have leftovers. DH regularly eats the lot about 10 in the evening. Problem solved unless I was trying to save it

NotMeNotYouNotAnyone Thu 31-Oct-13 19:19:15

My step sister used to cook a whole chicken, the family would eat the breasts and then she would bin the rest . Until my dad got her to start giving the leftovers to him. He will have the meat off the legs for sandwiches, stir fry or curry or something and use the carcass for stock or soup.

fossil971 Thu 31-Oct-13 19:20:28

If its a portion or more then it goes in the freezer. I don't save every last scrap of carrot off the plates though. Also I am not sure about reheating rice safely.

moogy1a Thu 31-Oct-13 19:22:48

Hmmm. Rice.
I've always been told it's a bit dodgy as reheating thouroughly doesn't kill off the toxins that can make you ill. But I've been reheating it for the last 30 years or so with no problem!

JesusInTheCabbageVan Thu 31-Oct-13 19:23:40

My Nan nearly had a fit one year when my aunt binned the rest of her turkey. She's hardcore about leftovers. At my wedding at the end of the night, she took away half the buffet with her grin

CoolStoryBro Thu 31-Oct-13 19:25:16

I feed the dogs a little and then chuck the rest and, tbh, I couldn't care less what anyone else does. I just can't be bothered to faff around.

moogy say I had a roast chicken. I would have a breast, DP would have a breast, maybe cut up a leg for the cats and throw the rest away.

MrsSchadenfreude Thu 31-Oct-13 19:26:42

Never throw anything out if I can help it. Monday's roast chicken is going to be chicken curry for us for tonight. With some of Tuesday's lentils going in as well. I don't see it as "leftovers" - I see it as meal planning. You eat the chicken breasts with roast potatoes, parsnips, broccoli and red cabbage. Then you have something else with lentils, and purposely cook too many lentils so you can make a really quick curry (chicken dhansak) with the chicken legs and lentils another night. Odds and sods of veg become soup or go in a curry or stew.

MrsSchadenfreude Thu 31-Oct-13 19:27:51

Manalive - why would you not have the other chicken leg cold with salad or in a sandwich?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now