supervision

(11 Posts)
Isildur Thu 31-Oct-13 09:41:37

A 12 year old is usually more than capable, as long as the 9 YO is on board too.

My children understand the importance of looking out for one another/staying safe/cost of childcare.

The would be fine on their own. Needs must.

Careca Thu 31-Oct-13 09:39:18

And no, there is no law

Careca Thu 31-Oct-13 09:37:43

Yes childcare for over 8s can be hard to find too, keeping a space year round for holiday only care is not very attractive for some childminders for eg.

The family still needs income so needs must.

Mojavewonderer Thu 31-Oct-13 09:29:02

It does seem a long time to leave them unsupervised but childcare is expensive and if your not in the best paid job it is the only option sometimes.

montysma1 Thu 31-Oct-13 09:27:40

I can't offer anything, I have my own arrangements to deal with. I asked a question. My children are much younger and I can't remember how trustable I was at 12.

kinkyfuckery Thu 31-Oct-13 09:22:29

No clear law on age for child supervision.
Since you are so clearly concerned about the situation, can you offer to help your friend?

littlewhitebag Thu 31-Oct-13 09:20:36

There is nio legal age that a child can be left alone it is up to the parent to determine whether the child is mature and capable enough to be left. At 12 the girl be able to be left but it is a lot to ask however that she also be in charge of her brother.

The parents are still responsible for them when they are left and if anything should happen then questions would be asked. It also depends where they stay and what contingencies have been put in place for emergencies.

If you have concerns then pass them on to your local SW team who can investigate or call the NSPCC and report concerns

montysma1 Thu 31-Oct-13 09:20:04

The girl is very sensible, not so sure that the brother would be inclined to do what big sis tell him. It just seems a long day and a lot to expect from her.

montysma1 Thu 31-Oct-13 09:19:49

The girl is very sensible, not so sure that the brother would be inclined to do what big sis tell him. It just seems a long day and a lot to expect from her.

Sirzy Thu 31-Oct-13 09:17:12

The law isn't that clear and it's only an issue if they are at risk.

At that age I would say it depends very much on the children involved (including them being happy with it)

montysma1 Thu 31-Oct-13 09:15:39

Friend of mine with a 12 year old girl and 9 year old boy, have in the in the past had holiday child care via grandparents. Grandparents are now too old. They have taken to leaving them at home all day, 8 to 6, with the 12 year old girl in charge. What is the law on this? I thinks its a lot to ask of the girl. She is sensible and mature, but its a lot of responsibility for someone who has just started secondary school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now