Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think you are NOT weary

(107 Posts)
DontPanicMrMannering Thu 31-Oct-13 00:33:25

DH and everyone else. You are not in fact tired of something that concerns/elicits caution of you. You are WARY of it.

Ok OK? I'm right and in no way unreasonable <<crosses arms>>

UsedToBeNDP Thu 31-Oct-13 09:11:00

Otherwise well spoken senior person at work - "Fursday" (Thursday).

Arghhhhh

PeppiNephrine Thu 31-Oct-13 09:25:47

Brought and bought gets me in a rage. I see it on here all the time, how can you not tell the difference between the two especially when writing it down?
My dh told me yesterday he was on "tenderhooks" waiting for a call.

FuckyNellItsHalloween Thu 31-Oct-13 09:30:07

Discrete clothing. This was from sixth form grammar school. Seriously.

GiveItYourBestFucker Thu 31-Oct-13 09:33:47

My ex used to insist on arriving at London Houston.

sunbathe Thu 31-Oct-13 09:38:17

People saying flack when it's flak.

Flzeug*a*bwehr*k*anone

I'm weary of that. thlwink

sunbathe Thu 31-Oct-13 09:39:53

Ha! And of not seeing preview on my phone so I don't make mistakes. thlgrin

Antisocial and unsociable.

UriGHOULer Thu 31-Oct-13 09:42:22

I LOVE St Pancreas! I also love Eustachian Station. grin

timidviper Thu 31-Oct-13 11:12:49

I am irritated by all sorts of things! One is a family member who insists her FIL has "prostrate problems" despite having been told the word is prostate loads of times. Why a urinary problem would make him lie down I don't know! grin

RustyBear Thu 31-Oct-13 11:42:37

FuckyNell - perhaps they didn't want them to wear onesies to school grin

Argh that would irritate the living fuck out of me.

My in laws all say 'on myself' instead of 'by myself' and it makes me murderous.

nestee Thu 31-Oct-13 12:13:32

Pepi, what's wrong with 'tenderhooks'? Just wondering. ..my dear friend who is also a vicar always pronounces the l in 'folks'. Makes me giggle.

PeppiNephrine Thu 31-Oct-13 12:16:10

its tenterhooks.

vladthedisorganised Thu 31-Oct-13 12:17:10

inamuddle - I couldn't agree more grin

My DP tells me not to 'ponder' to the children being babyish when he I fact means 'pander' I'm yet to crack and yell at him.

My old tutor at college says 'acrossed' rather than 'across' it make me cross.

Ev1lEdna Thu 31-Oct-13 12:26:13

OP I was just thinking that very same thing a few minutes ago.

harticus Thu 31-Oct-13 12:29:33

cache and cachet
unsocial and antisocial
adverse and averse
insure and ensure

All get my goat.

hareinthemoon Thu 31-Oct-13 12:32:35

DH (and everyone else) - not from New Zilland?

At DC's school they have to only wear discrete makeup, which I think is even more difficult than discrete clothing.

nestee Thu 31-Oct-13 14:41:01

What's a tenterhook then? I'm reasonably educated and well read and I always thought it was tenderhooks! [Hangs head in shame]

PaperSeagull Thu 31-Oct-13 14:52:52

When you're weary, feeling small
When tears are in your eyes
I will dry them all. . .

You are only being unreasonable for making me think of the lyrics to Bridge Over Troubled Water. Now I will be humming it all day. smile

A student once wrote that something gave him paws. I'm quite sure he meant pause.

PeppiNephrine Thu 31-Oct-13 14:55:12

Woollen cloth used to be stretched on a tenter (the frame) by way of hooks (tenterhooks) after being washed to remove oils. From the french tendere, to stretch.

nestee Thu 31-Oct-13 15:56:05

Ooh thanks, you learn something new every day x

ElbowPrincess Thu 31-Oct-13 16:23:27

Someone at work keeps saying pattren instead of pattern. I want to stab her her with my pencil.

Ginfox Thu 31-Oct-13 16:47:54

Chunky during a long piece on Radio 4 last week, both the "expert" and the interviewer person kept saying "nucular" instead of nuclear. I was shouting at the radio (in the car, so just another mad woman on her way to work)

Supposably, pacifically - arrgh!

But I always pronounce St Pancras as Pancreas, Birmingham as Brummigham, Loughborough as Loogaborooga, etc. because it amuses me.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Thu 31-Oct-13 16:59:54

Don't Panic I nearly did pull you up on the Captain thing - but then I remembered that Jonesey, in the saying, actually did say 'Mr' and was always reminded 'it's Captain Mainwaring' smile.
As you were.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now