Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think you are NOT weary

(107 Posts)
DontPanicMrMannering Thu 31-Oct-13 00:33:25

DH and everyone else. You are not in fact tired of something that concerns/elicits caution of you. You are WARY of it.

Ok OK? I'm right and in no way unreasonable <<crosses arms>>

WallyBantersJunkBox Thu 31-Oct-13 00:35:15

Unless you've been wary of it for a prolonged period? Then you could be weary of being wary?

timidviper Thu 31-Oct-13 00:36:13

Nope, I've never heard anybody say this myself but would hate it too

Not at all unreasonable part from the fact you have crossed your arms but forgotten to hoik your bosom!

YesterdayI Thu 31-Oct-13 00:38:18

Weary means you are tired of something - that it bores you.

Wary means you are nervous or scared of something.

OP YANBU and you should be weary of your DH's ongoing mistake. Your DH should be wary of repeating his mistake in front of you.

DH used to say irregardless, as do all his family. <shudders>

DontPanicMrMannering Thu 31-Oct-13 00:49:12

grin I am indeed weary which should make him wary but he just insists he is correct.

<<hoiks bosom onto crossed arms>>

<<buckles under the weight>>

MrsTP I refuse to believe my beloved TP would commit such a crime shock

Bwahaha, good point about my NN. No. MrTP would never say that, just my other DH. The bad one.

NatashaBee Thu 31-Oct-13 00:59:56

YANBU!

innermuddle Thu 31-Oct-13 07:31:07

This is nearly as annoying as people who claim to be 'unorganised'! ! Makes me unreasonably angry.

TheSmallPumpkin Thu 31-Oct-13 07:39:03

Yes I hear this more and more often. It's not hard to differentiate between the two but people do it a lot. My biggest bugbear is people saying words like assume, presume, insulation etc. with an 'sh' sound. It's horrible, please stop! listen here

Snargaluff Thu 31-Oct-13 07:44:26

Yes! Or 'Leary' which I have also heard

Snargaluff Thu 31-Oct-13 07:45:58

Oh. Apparently leery means suspicious or wary. Well.

'Disinterested' for 'uninterested'

Drives my dad crazy and he passed it on to me

Especially annoying as people are usually saying it to sound clever

And breathe...

WheresTheHoneyMummy Thu 31-Oct-13 07:51:58

My friend uses reprimanded when she means demanded, and she has "laminated" flooring.

RustyBear Thu 31-Oct-13 08:00:09

Sorry, where'sthehoney, but your friend is right - laminate flooring is laminated. It may not be what most people call it, but it's a perfectly accurate description.

TEErickOrTEEreat Thu 31-Oct-13 08:04:53

Well, I've had very little sleep so I am weary.

But I'd be wary of someone who said they were weary when they meant wary.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Thu 31-Oct-13 08:10:38

Well I'm both wary and weary of so-called pedantic OPs who mis-spell their own nns: assuming you're referring to Dad's Army, it's ^Mainwaring^.
Just saying.

CombineBananaFister Thu 31-Oct-13 08:13:19

my mum says 'pacific' instead of 'specific'. makes my teeth itch and is endearing all at the same time.
My dad just makes words up as he goes along if he can't remember which one he needs or just misses words out altogether. He is from rural Yorkshire though so that's just how it is.

ChunkyPickle Thu 31-Oct-13 08:15:04

How do these things get confused?

Where I lived it was normal for people to ask you to 'revert to them' at the end of an email (they meant reply or respond)

The one that really, really winds me up, that I've had quite lively discussions with DP and his brother about is nuclear - it's new-clear not new-queue-ler.

DontPanicMrMannering Thu 31-Oct-13 08:52:38

Shotgun it's a nn that is written that way for a personal reason, there are a lot of them that don't reflect the original. And if you are going to pull me up on it you really should have mentioned it's Captain not Mr.

I also never claimed to be an expert on the English language just one irritated by this pacific grin word.

Mrs TP glad to hear it!

Littleredsquirrel Thu 31-Oct-13 09:00:57

I see (and use) revert in that context a lot in legal letters. What's wrong with it?

HeywoodMonkey Thu 31-Oct-13 09:04:56

My aged father keeps referring to the Equestrian Centre as an Aquarium. I know his eyesight is poor but he should be able to tell the difference between horses and sharks. Surely?
My neighbour says reaching instead of retching ...in fact she malaprops all fecking day. I think she does it to wind me up.
Anyway, I have got to go and saddle up a shark...... Laters.

HarryStottle Thu 31-Oct-13 09:06:05

My DH would say you are being QUIET unreasonable - he cannot pronounce "quite".

HarryStottle Thu 31-Oct-13 09:07:23

I know a lot of people who travel to London via St Pancreas station

lastnightopenedmyeyes Thu 31-Oct-13 09:09:57

One of the best shirty emails I ever received from an old colleague simply said 'to be quiet frank, I don't care what you do'

It's become a bit of an in joke with dh and I since then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now