To hate DH's beard?

(73 Posts)
DameMarjorieChardem Wed 30-Oct-13 23:50:04

DH has always been clean shaven. I'm not a fan of facial hair. He has grown a beard and I HATE it!! I love him but oh man I want to scratch my face off when he kisses me! I'm really hoping its just a phase but he really likes it. He is good looking but the beard hides his loveliness. Maybe I should LTB. (Leave the beard).

Help me Mumsnet, I'm NBU am I?

MadCap Thu 31-Oct-13 07:05:49

I love dh's beard. He looks twelve without it.

Branleuse Thu 31-Oct-13 07:10:33

its his face, his choice.
its perfectly normal for men to have beards. Theyre supposed to, plus beards are hot <3

Just live with it

BerryLellow Thu 31-Oct-13 07:21:38

I've developed a bit of a thing about beards. I think it's largely the fault of Sons Of Anarchy.

ILoveAFullFridge Thu 31-Oct-13 07:26:12

Branleuse I disagree. In a partnership it's just not on for one partner to make a lifestyle choice that turns the other off.

Thisisaghostlyeuphemism Thu 31-Oct-13 07:31:02

DHs beard is the best. I can understand your feelings tho. I see other men's beards and think, 'oh no, your poor DW'.

(Stealth beard boasting.)

Is a beard a lifestyle choice?

Lovecat Thu 31-Oct-13 07:36:15

DH grew a beard.

It was gingery (he is blond).

He looked like Henry VIII

And not in a Jonathan Rhys Meyers way.

I didn't ask him to shave it off, thankfully he saw the resemblance too and did it himself.

What is he doing to it, though, if it's making you itchy? Once DH's was actually fully grown it was all soft & plushy and rather nice to kiss (disclaimer, this was not a beard you could hide a badger in, it was trimmed and all). The growing in stage was a bloody nightmare though, like sandpaper on my skin!

Branleuse Thu 31-Oct-13 07:38:37

ive never even seen my dp with a bare face

ithaka Thu 31-Oct-13 07:39:27

I feel your pain, OP. My DH is gorgeous, but weirdly drawn to growing facial hair. Not a beard, but things like a huge handlebar moustache with mutton chop whiskers is one of his faves. I bet you feel lucky now?

He knows my views, but the cheeky sod doesn't care. Sometimes he will just shave the lot off and look wonderful and young for a while, but he always falls of the wagon in the end.

My friends say things like 'I don't know how you put up with that' so I assume their husbands are gentle, easily manipulated souls, unlike my big, strong stubborn man.

ImAlpharius Thu 31-Oct-13 07:44:57

Dh grew a beard 2 and a half years ago and it's still here. I don't like it but he does. It's his body so I just live in hope he gets bored of it.

KissesBreakingWave Thu 31-Oct-13 09:12:06

A man without a beard, it has been said, is like a woman with one.

Seriously, I'm a little concerned by by all the latent pederasty on display here. It's little boys that don't have beards.

FruitOwl Thu 31-Oct-13 09:22:12

My OH has a massive beard (Mr Twit territory) and I love it. It's all soft and snuggly. Random strangers frequently come up to him when we're out to give it a stroke! Only downside is that yes, he does get food in it.
Men without beards look a bit wrong to me now, like something is missing!

zipzap Thu 31-Oct-13 09:39:44

Noooo. Beards are horrible. They're all scratchy and itchy and tickly and yuk. Haven't ever seen a man who looks better with a beard and/or moustache than without.

And why are they becoming so much more common than they used to be? (excluding the Movember thing, I get the doing something silly to raise money for charity for just a month.). It's the lifestyle choice of having a beard when you live somewhere that it's easy to shave, you look better and not bothering that I don't get.

cashmiriana Thu 31-Oct-13 09:58:44

DH is threatening to shave his beard off at the end of November.
I am begging him not to. I think he looks gorgeous in a 6' 4" blond Viking kind of way. For anyone who is struggling with the slightly scratchy stage, invest in some beard oil - it softens it up nicely and smells heavenly.

peggyundercrackers Thu 31-Oct-13 10:09:08

i quite like them when they are fully grown - its when they are not quite there that they are horrible and stubbly. i quite like handlebar moustaches - i think they look very gentlemanly and proper for some reason - not sure about the mutton chop whiskers that go with them though smile

iloveafullfridge - i take it if your man didnt like you shaving under your arms/legs and other bits because it turned him off you would be fine with not shaving?

Halfrek Thu 31-Oct-13 10:10:28

I like beards, DP is blonde and looks all Viking-like when he has one <shivers pleasantly>

jamdonut Thu 31-Oct-13 10:18:21

My Dh has had a beard for about 26 out of the 28 years I've known him. He's always had a moustache...never seen him without one!

I like well kept beards on men!

Poledra Thu 31-Oct-13 10:22:28

DH grew a beard last year. He did ask me if I liked it and did I think he should keep it. The answer, as far as I am concerned, is 'It's your face - do you like it?'. He never comments upon my shaving choices either grin

Raddy Thu 31-Oct-13 10:24:34

I hate beards.

My dh gets a black, Desperate Dan face of stubble by evening and that is bad enough.

RiffyWammal Thu 31-Oct-13 10:29:36

I love my DH's beard, it looks and feels lovely (so much better than stubble) and traps his nice smell. Try to embrace the beard, OP. You never know, one day you may want your DH to accept your beard! smile

FruOla Thu 31-Oct-13 10:35:41

"I love dh's beard. He looks twelve without it." Ah, MadCap, are you Mrs Malone? grin

I commented on the GM thread that I thought it made him look like Rex Harrison in The Ghost & Mrs Muir.

uncomfortablydumb Thu 31-Oct-13 10:40:05

I think you're in beard shock. Let it bed in a bit and you might change your mind.

The initial stubbly period is a bit of a challenge, but DH's is always silky after that. And much better than the daily danger of stubble that I had before.

Although given the season, if he has long hair aswell he might get Jesus comments by bored yoofs grin

caruthers Thu 31-Oct-13 10:51:03

I have a beard maybe 50% of the time and clean shaven the other 50% of the time and my Wife quite likes either.

But some mens beards are scruffy and unkempt and if your husbands beard is like a busted mattress you're not being unreasonable.

absentmindeddooooodles Thu 31-Oct-13 10:54:07

Not a fan of a full bushy foody beard. But hate hate hatethe clean shaven llook.

Dp is convinced that he only looks smart after a shave.

He looks like a 12 year old boy.

ScaryBeardyDeadyman Thu 31-Oct-13 10:56:05

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now