to use my wedding dress for Halloween fancy dress?

(60 Posts)
Bogeyface Tue 29-Oct-13 22:34:09

I should state at the start that it is the dress I wore when I married my ex husband so no issues there for me. Also, the bodice is lovely and unmarked but the skirt is knackered, absolutely filthy (chucked it down on our wedding day) and has a fag burn in it (thank you pissed up ex BIL).

So, I was planning on shortening it to mid calf length, muckying up the skirt a bit more and with make up, a fake slit throat and dead flowers etc, go as a corpse bride. My mother is horrified! She said that I should save it incase the girls want to wear it but the skirt is beyond saving, so I would look after the bodice as that could be detached and used with a seperate or new skirt, but I see no issue in trashing the bottom of it.

AIBU?

Bogeyface Tue 29-Oct-13 23:59:05

shadows just snorted at you having to make the point that your mum wasnt the Bride of Frankenstein grin

Bogeyface Tue 29-Oct-13 23:59:41

I think the Ayes have it, will post a photo on my profile!

Bogey, if you saw my Papa first thing in the morning, all grumbling and shuffling, you'd well believe that my Mum could indeed be the Bride of Frankenstein wink.

Definitely post a photo of your costume when it's done, would love to see it. Also, a corpse bride makes a nice change from the proliferation of 'slutty / sexy (urgh) whatever' costumes at the moment. At a Halloween party on Sun night, my sisters and I encountered a 'slutty slice of pizza', a 'sexy Elmo', a 'sexy killer whale' and a 'slutty crayon' (their descriptions, not mine, btw). Seriously. Sexy killer whale will haunt my nightmares.

Bogeyface Wed 30-Oct-13 00:42:18

WTAF?!

Sorry but all of those need more description! How the buggery fuck can you dress as a sexy slice of pizza?!

FortyDoorsToNowhere Wed 30-Oct-13 00:48:30
Bogeyface Wed 30-Oct-13 00:50:44

Wow!

Turns out that there are levels of stupid I had no idea existed!

fanjofarrow Wed 30-Oct-13 00:52:22

Slutty pizza? Yikes Uncle Scooby!

Bogeyface Wed 30-Oct-13 00:52:33

http://www.yandy.com/Whale.php

Orca "cutie"

My eyes hurt

Bogeyface Wed 30-Oct-13 00:52:39
17leftfeet Wed 30-Oct-13 00:53:42

Oh my word that pizza dress is something to behold!

Slutty slice of pizza was a tiny pizza-print dress (so cheese and pepperoni print) and a little pointed hat that was the 'tip' of the pizza slice. Sexy killer whale was a black and white swimsuit with a killer whale hood and tail stuck on. Sexy Elmo... Closest thing I can find is this, but there was less fabric. Slutty crayon was a tiny red dress with 'Crayola' printed on a piece of paper and pinned on it, with a red witches hat to represent the top of the crayon.

It was all very disturbing!

Bogeyface Wed 30-Oct-13 01:00:35

www.yandy.com/Deluxe-Tiger-Costume.php
With some effort and expenditure you can ensure that your children will never sleep again after seeing Winnie the Pooh

Shit, that site is fucked up!

fanjofarrow Wed 30-Oct-13 01:07:02

What the actual..... just look.

Ooh, you all found some! Sadly, that sexy pizza was a bit better than the one we saw (if any 'sexy pizza' urgh, can indeed be 'better'). The one we saw was clearly from Pizza Hut wink.

Fecking hell, that 'Orca Cutie' is, well, beyond words. Since when do Orcas have fluffy tassels??

Holy buggering shite! I thought sexy killer whale would haunt my nightmares, but that Tigger takes the creepy, disturbing cake. A.A. Milne is forever ruined for me!

Bogeyface Wed 30-Oct-13 01:16:27

Shadows are you in the UK?

Bogeyface Wed 30-Oct-13 01:17:21

101 Dalmations and The Starlight Barking are my 2 favourite books, but now I feel....icky.

Monty27 Wed 30-Oct-13 01:22:07

Go for it, mine got screwed up and put in one of the black bin liners of his stuff that that I was rolling down the stairs when I discovered him shagging my bf grin (it was a long time ago which is why I can do grin but it wasn't so funny at the time)

If you haven't got sentimentality attached to it do it smile

I'm in Ireland, Bogey. Why, were you hoping I could ask one of the ladies I met the other night to loan you their sexy Whale / Elmo / Fire Hydrant costumes? wink.

fanjo, that dalmatian costume kind of makes me want to cry. How, well, just yucky.

AdoraBell Wed 30-Oct-13 01:30:20

Brillante ideathlgrin, can kind of see DM's point but would DDs want to use a knackered dress, really?

Bogeyface Wed 30-Oct-13 01:49:08

Monty I am impressed you didnt try to strangle them with it, and good for you that you grin about it now smile

Shadow No, I have theory! I suspect they spent an evening together googling and then realised that the cost of the outfits, plus shipping time, meant that they had to make their own! Hence the Sexy Pizza Hut Slice grin

Nicely done, Monty! A friend of mine was living in Playa Del Carmen when her husband fucked off, so she rolled her wedding dress up in a ball and fucked it in the Caribbean. She says it was rather cathartic grin.

Ahh, good thinking, Bogey. I did see a hot dog at that party, he and sexy pizza may have gone halfsies on the buffet wink. It's just a pity they didn't come across a hunky potato wedge, then they could have really cut costs grin

AveryJessup Wed 30-Oct-13 02:23:32

Great idea! Kind of wish I had a wedding dress of no sentimental value lying around the house now so I could do this...I love Corpse Bride.

Bogeyface Wed 30-Oct-13 02:26:41

Well thank you shadow it is rare that I literally LOL but "hunky potato wedge" just made m laugh like a drain!

Orangesarenottheonlyfruit Wed 30-Oct-13 08:11:50

I'm happily married but I use my wedding dress for fancy dress all the time. I've been the Woman in White and worn it to a bad taste anniversary party where we had to wear the worst wedding outfits we could think of, I thought wearing my dress to someone else's wedding was pretty bad taste! oh yes and I've worn it to a fancy dress party, with wellies and a fluffy tiara, on a campsite! It is really liberating to actually use something that would otherwise be sitting in a box on top of a wardrobe gathering dust.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now