To not care a jot about the panda?

(109 Posts)

Just been to visit them at the zoo. As I expected it's asleep. Sleeps 16 hours a day. The male one's ill so can't be on show. So we spend 10 minutes in a room with a video of it actually moving whilst it sleeps in a corner.

Maybe there's a reason it's only in season for 2 days a year? God's trying to tell us something surely? wink

One horned Rhinos on the other hand are the dog's bollocks. And if you hear one fart you're in for a treat. Fantastic!

poii10 Sat 16-Nov-13 20:01:04

Do you know why their are no fucking panda.s, because a panda wont fuck a panda, thats why their are no fucking pandas.

Come on, someone had to... Kit Kat ad

grin JuiceOrtiz

GhostsInSnow Wed 30-Oct-13 10:39:25

sassytheFIRST I went to San Diego zoo years ago (early 90's must have been), the Panda's don't stick in my mind (not surprising if they were asleep) but they did have a kick ass huge Gorilla who, when he saw a camera come out would purposefully turn his back on you and stick up his fingers.

Funniest thing I ever did see and thats the only memory I carry of San Diego Zoo, being flipped off by a Gorilla. grin

RoxanneReidsChafingFishnets Wed 30-Oct-13 10:38:19

They hate sex and eat stuff that they can't deal with.. Do you think they see us humans walking past with food and just dream that they could eat it.

Lets go give them some ice cream and chips. grin

I prefer donkeys

They are extremely cute, and it's a rare animal that gets through my not-bothered-about-animals shell.

But they hate sex and 99% of their preferred diet is something that they can't digest. So what's the point?

Oh heck qussieqripps grin

Morloth Wed 30-Oct-13 09:50:18

Bloody awful creatures.

I often go to sleep to this sound. Though thinking about it, it is amazing we haven't had hoards of randy female koalas trying to break in and get a DH when he is asleep. It is not unlike to godawful noise he makes when he is snoring.

gussiegrips Wed 30-Oct-13 09:44:01

I went into labour at the zoo.

Big queue for the zebra bus and I had the lunch in an enormous rucksack - DH had toddled the kids up to the zebras where we were to meet.

My moronic thought process was "the kids will be hungry. He'll worry. I'll be fine walking up"

Oddly enough, loudly mooing like a wildebeest didn't bring hoardes of helpful folk my way. They just assumed it was a wildebeest.

MaryZombie Wed 30-Oct-13 09:41:09

Koalas are revolting, and they all seem to have fleas.

Pandas are boring. And they aren't really cute, we just think they are because most of us having only seen them either asleep or stuffed.

cocoleBOO Wed 30-Oct-13 09:30:27

I thought koalas didn't do anything either, because they are stoned all the time.
I'm coming back as a koala btw grin

Morloth Wed 30-Oct-13 09:17:54

Wombats and Koalas stink though.

And Koalas make a bloody awful sound at night when they are mating.

Sounds like a zombie invasion.

Morloth Wed 30-Oct-13 09:16:57

LOL, it is pointless anyway.

Humans are screwed, we will self destruct at some point.

Then it will be someone else's go.

Maybe the guillemots, who knows.

glastocat Wed 30-Oct-13 09:15:28

And wombats are better than anything.

glastocat Wed 30-Oct-13 09:15:01

Koalas are much better than pandas, and very soft and fluffy too. They do have massive claws and chlamydia though.

HesterShaw Wed 30-Oct-13 09:10:01

Ah, we'll have to disagree there Morloth

I can't look at an oil covered seabird flapping its wings hopelessly and just think "Ah, we're just working from within the machine." That guillemot has as much right to life as I do.

I won't carry on with this direction of conversation, as I'll just lose my temper and become ranty and undignified smile

cocoleBOO Wed 30-Oct-13 09:08:02

Someone broke into Belfast Zoo and feed the penguibs to the lions shock.
Four monkeys escaped last week, and one is still on the run.
They don't seem to have heard of locks.

Morloth Wed 30-Oct-13 09:02:39

But we aren't fucking things up HesterShaw we are simply acting within the machine, not from outside of it.

One day we will be gone, there will be new apex predators. And the planet will keep turning and spinning around the sun, we are as pointless as the Panda in the grand scheme of things.

Pandas are cute but pointless therefore the cuteness was a clever move really. How many would be left right now if they were not cute? 0 is my thought.

HesterShaw Wed 30-Oct-13 09:00:08

grin

SomethingOnce Wed 30-Oct-13 08:59:16

But cats are domesticated. Rightly or wrongly, we have bred them to amuse us.

Wrong. Cats have bred us to serve them. They are very much having the last laugh.

HesterShaw Wed 30-Oct-13 08:58:53

Yeah alright Morloth. That's exactly my point actually. We're not as important as we think we are, therefore it is right and proper to stop fucking things up so much. The "planet" includes everything that was living on it before we started messing it all up. Left to its own devices, the sea for instance, would contain a lot more than jellyfish, which is more or less what would happen if removing all apex predators is taken to its logical conclusion. That has already happened in some places: it's not just theory.

Anyway, back to cuddly pandas....

mrsjay Wed 30-Oct-13 08:54:05

I watched a programme 100 years of edinburgh zoo and they used to walk the penguins about the zoo and then out and down the street imagine going down the shops and a penguin parade passes you -- i think that would be awesome--

MiaowTheCat Wed 30-Oct-13 08:51:53

Edinburgh Zoo nearly fucking killed me. "Oh it's a little bit hilly" I got told. Fucking SPD, heavy pushchair and that vertical cliff face!

Morloth Wed 30-Oct-13 08:50:57

Biodiversity is screwed, the Matrix robots were right, we are like a virus, we will burn everything up until there isn't anything left to burn and then we will die.

The planet will be fine, new species will evolve.

We are not as important or as original as we think we are.

tobiasfunke Wed 30-Oct-13 08:49:37

For the love of god won't you think about the poor penguins. For years Edinburgh zoo was all about the penguins and now they have been sidelined for stupid big bears that sleep all the time. I bet they're not bitter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now