Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think there's nothing wrong with all the Facebook "look at all these xmas presents" photos

(98 Posts)

As Christmas dawns I'm reminded of numerous AIBU threads whereby people moan about folk that post photos on FB showing all the xmas gifts they've bought for their kids.

Personally, I love it when people post these photos. I'm a self-confessed shopaholic and love having a good gander at the photos to get ideas for what to look for in the January sales. I'm also a nosy cow.

Am I in the minority? Do most people hate these photos?

Heartbrokenmum73 Tue 29-Oct-13 20:37:59

I did have a friend who posted each pile of presents when they were all wrapped up, but it was a 'wrapping done' thing. And I know for a fact she spent very little cos I went shopping with her a few times, so definitely not that kind of a boast.

I still hated that she was done and everything wrapped by mid-December though, the caaaaaah grin

GiddyStars Tue 29-Oct-13 20:39:55

I did this blush

But the presents were just kind of 'in' the photo if that makes sense. I just wanted to take a picture of how nice and tidy Christmassy the room looked with the tree and decs and Father Christmas footprints etc.

Not to boast, I hadn't thought it could offend anyone the present piles are tiny anyway

BeCoolFucker Tue 29-Oct-13 20:40:29

I'm another who have never seen or heard of these photos before this thread.

I might post a picture of the tree with a few presses under it closer to xmas but I don't think that is what you mean is it?

usualsuspect Tue 29-Oct-13 20:42:18

Some people are offended by everything on FB.

I wonder why they are on it tbh.

Coupon Tue 29-Oct-13 20:44:13

YABU. A set of presents is meant to be preparation for a special family time, not a shop catalogue to be scrutinized by others.

usualsuspect Tue 29-Oct-13 20:46:43

Don't whatever you do post a picture of your Christmas tree,or Christmas dinner.
Or there will be 50 threads as MN moaning about it.

GeeTeeEff Tue 29-Oct-13 20:47:11

They are usually accompanied by a caption of "omg, look at all these presents, I hate to think how much I've spent"

HappyMummyOfOne Tue 29-Oct-13 20:48:59

If FB is just limited to family and close friends, then surely people can tell the difference between ahh its christmas and those who are bragging. If your FB has nine million friends then its a daft thing to do if they have an idea where you live.

KCumberSandwich Tue 29-Oct-13 21:21:14

They don't bother me, but i don't see why my friends and neighbours would be interested.

"Father Christmas footprints"

How did you do those?

LynetteScavo Tue 29-Oct-13 21:28:11

I've never seen one of these photos.

I'd probably just think "what a load of crappy tat". I'd probably quite like a nosy, though. grin

TooTabooToBOOOOO Tue 29-Oct-13 21:31:49

I put pics up of the Christmas presents.

I don't do it to show off (I would be the worst show-off known to man if that were my intention)

I always put a "he's been" picture up just before I go to bed and then one of DD sat in the midst of wrapping paper and opened presents in the morning.

My parents did this when I was little, it's just that now I can put it out "there" and I love seeing other people putting their pics up - it adds to the excitment.

People don't like it they know where the Unfriend button is.

Mim78 Tue 29-Oct-13 21:33:39

I've never seen one either! Glad I'm not the only one having read all the replies! Usually too busy for FB on Christmas day.

mrsjay Tue 29-Oct-13 21:34:05

some folk are just miserable though I like to see the piles that santa has left smile

mrsjay Tue 29-Oct-13 21:35:40

all the presents look look lovely and bowy and sparkly

MrsDavidBowie Tue 29-Oct-13 21:37:19

I can't imagine wanting to look at a photo of someone else's presents.

That's one reason I don't have FB, so I never have to look at pointless things. A bit like reading about peoples' dreams.

Mummyoftheyear Tue 29-Oct-13 21:38:00

Never seen any. How bizarre. But then again, I just posted a video and a photo of the new table I bought my children. grin Yes - table. No ordinary table though. It's the old fashioned roll-down bureau.

Amandine29 Tue 29-Oct-13 21:43:42

I've never seen this on Facebook but I am quite nosy so I would like to.

2tiredtoScare Tue 29-Oct-13 21:44:05

I've genuinely never seen any on my FB

YoureBeingAnAnyFuckerFan Tue 29-Oct-13 22:20:08

But tootoo- why do you do the 'he's been' photo on fb? I can understand the one of your dd enjoying opening her presents but i dont get the other one of just a stack of wrapped up presents. Also, there are about 8/9 people on my fb who do the "he's been" photo also. Well really its not original. And 'he' hasnt really been. Who is the picture for? Why dont you just post a picture saying "ive put all the presents under the tree" because thats really what your showing people.

Runwayqueen Tue 29-Oct-13 22:24:08

I have to admit I did post a photo of my dd's presents hidden away today, more so because for the first time in her 3 1/2yrs I've been organised instead of my normal last minute panic buying, not to rub it in to any friends or family. I feel now I've got all the bits and bobs she would love I can enjoy December and Christmas for the festivity of it all

usualsuspect Tue 29-Oct-13 22:27:27

What's wrong with saying 'he's been'
Everyone says it

Or is that something else that people moan about

YoureBeingAnAnyFuckerFan Tue 29-Oct-13 22:28:46

Yeah i say it to the dcs but not to a load of adults on fb who are fully aware of the fact that it was me stuffing presents under the treegrin

usualsuspect Tue 29-Oct-13 22:34:02

Well its sort of a joke.

I say it to.my DS and he's 21 grin

TooTabooToBOOOOO Tue 29-Oct-13 22:35:27

YoureBeing because I enjoy doing it. I like to see other people's pics too.

I find it fun. The picture is for me, my friends and ultimately the pic will be viewed by DD in years to come.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now