To think there's nothing wrong with all the Facebook "look at all these xmas presents" photos

(98 Posts)

As Christmas dawns I'm reminded of numerous AIBU threads whereby people moan about folk that post photos on FB showing all the xmas gifts they've bought for their kids.

Personally, I love it when people post these photos. I'm a self-confessed shopaholic and love having a good gander at the photos to get ideas for what to look for in the January sales. I'm also a nosy cow.

Am I in the minority? Do most people hate these photos?

kotinka Tue 29-Oct-13 20:13:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

usualsuspect Tue 29-Oct-13 20:16:20

I like them.

Some people are miserable buggers.

AngelsLieToKeepControl Tue 29-Oct-13 20:16:26

They don't bother me one way or the other, there seems to be a lot of people who hate them though.

MamaBear17 Tue 29-Oct-13 20:17:05

I prefer pictures with people in, but completely admit taking pics of the pile of presents and the living room set up for dds memory album. I only put pics with people in on Facebook but I don't mind what others do.

LumpySpacePrincessOhMyGlob Tue 29-Oct-13 20:17:16

Yabu. Facebook is eeeeeevvvviiiilllllllll.

WorraLiberty Tue 29-Oct-13 20:17:44

I don't mind them at all

I get more fed up of people moaning about Facebook...like it's compulsory to have it.

Heartbrokenmum73 Tue 29-Oct-13 20:18:17

I have literally never seen one of these photos!

I obviously lead a very sheltered life and now I feel left out sad

usualsuspect Tue 29-Oct-13 20:18:32

Some people just like moaning about FB.

YoureBeingAnAnyFuckerFan Tue 29-Oct-13 20:18:33

Theyre just so boasty though. Why do people do it? confused

fragola Tue 29-Oct-13 20:18:59

I've never seen one. What an odd thing to do.

Unexpected Tue 29-Oct-13 20:19:10

I have never seen a photo like this on FB, thank heavens! I might defriend someone if they did that! Why would anyone think that was an appropriate thing to do ?

SinisterMatic Tue 29-Oct-13 20:19:45

I don't mind, I wouldn't do it personally as I do not like people seeing what I have etc, I appreciate I am a little paranoid.

I do like seeing happy pictures and statuses so post away!

Burmobasher Tue 29-Oct-13 20:20:09

I'm not keen, they just seem a bit showy offy and "hey look I've spent shit loads more than you"

Pinupgirl Tue 29-Oct-13 20:20:47

I don't post pictures like these because I wouldn't want to make any of my friends feel bad if their dcs don't have much. Its boastful and nobody likes a boaster.

My mum goes mad at xmas and buys dcs far too much-its literally a mountain of toys in our living room and I do feel a bitblush

How do you know the person has spent shit loads? I have tons of presents for my DCs for under £80 each. Their piles are going to be huge....

GreenShadow Tue 29-Oct-13 20:21:55

What a strange thing to do -I never seen anything like this. Most people I know would never do anything like this - if anything they (and I) would play down how much they have bought/spent.

OddBoots Tue 29-Oct-13 20:23:04

I'm not bothered by them but we are okay (not great, but okay) financially, I think if I couldn't afford to get what I wanted to for my children then seeing those kinds of pictures could be rubbing the salt in.

Burmobasher But how do they know what you've spent?

WorraLiberty Tue 29-Oct-13 20:24:54

I don't post pics on FB but while I've still got the scrolling wheel on my mouse, I take no notice of other people's pics if I don't like them...I move straight down the page.

ICameOnTheJitney Tue 29-Oct-13 20:29:19

It's "Common" isn't it? Coarse...materialistic...akin to discussing money or religion at the dinner table. I love the fact that some posters on thread have said "Goodness...I've never seen such a thing!" because they're far too well bred to KNOW people who do this. grin

Burmobasher Tue 29-Oct-13 20:31:29

wombles i don't, that's why I used the word seems. It's how these photos are perceived by some and happens to be my own personal opinion. Feel free to disagree.

Elsiequadrille Tue 29-Oct-13 20:32:43

I think they sound very odd, but I'm not a big fan of Facebook generally. Never seen one, however.

It's 'common' and vulgar, apparently.

soontobemumofthree Tue 29-Oct-13 20:32:48

I've never seen anyone do this, but it's probably people excited that they get to have Christmas with children. I'm not really one for piles of presents, prob frugal compared with some.
I think esp as my kids are so little that Christmas is so long away from their perspective. I get them occasional things in the year and they have presents from other people at Christmas too.
I don't think I'd feel too strongly if I saw a pile of presents. YANBU, people aren't doing it to harm.

soontobemumofthree Tue 29-Oct-13 20:34:50

I doubt I'm too well bred, just not enough time on fb probably

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now