Wibu? Was he? Or is it just to be expected?

(84 Posts)
EngineeringExcellence Tue 29-Oct-13 18:22:11

U took my 2 DSs and a friend each swimming today. They swam for 2+ hours and we lleft just after 5pm. Journey home is less than 10min.

As we left one of the friends asked "are we going to McDs or somewhere? No I said we're going home. "can we have something from the cafe then?" and then the vending machine.

WIBU not to offer food? It wasn't part of the invite and I was taking them to their own homes for tea. I know youre hungry when you get out of the pool but he only had 10mins to wait..

11yo

soontobemumofthree Wed 30-Oct-13 16:04:08

YANBU
I'd feel hungry after 2 hours swimming, he probably was hungry but that's good as he is going home to have his tea!! At 11 years he is a bit old to be asking that many times too, but maybe that is what they do in his house.

livingzuid Wed 30-Oct-13 18:42:18

Good for you. And I don't understand why after having exercised children for two hours or even after any exercise at all you'd stuff them full of McDonalds or crisps, chips and chocolate junk thereby negating the whole point of going for exercise in the first place. That is judgemental I know but I honestly can't connect the two.

Sparklysilversequins Wed 30-Oct-13 18:53:22

I'd have taken snacks and drinks or got them something. Anything else seems rather tight imo.

cory Wed 30-Oct-13 19:01:57

Why is tight not to assume that every outing has to involve a snack before you get home? It never used to be that way: people used to eat at mealtimes and drink water in between. And were a lot healthier for it.

soontobemumofthree Wed 30-Oct-13 19:07:41

I think it was generous to take swimming, and going swimming does not imply that you'd be getting him food/a meal afterwards.

If you had invited him for tea after swimming, he still wouldn't need a junk food snack, as he'd be having his tea at yours.

SaucyJack Wed 30-Oct-13 19:15:42

YANBU to not get sucked into the habit of consuming massive amounts of shite everytime you leave the house.

I would've taken a few cartons of drink for afterwards tho.

Retroformica Wed 30-Oct-13 20:27:03

Banana if you have to wait any longer then 30 mins to eat

trixymalixy Wed 30-Oct-13 20:36:26

We always had a snack after swimming when I was a child, I was always ravenous.

My 2 get to spend the locker money in the vending machine afterwards. DS is underweight partly due to a restricted diet and always manages to eat his lunch as well.

RiceBurner Wed 30-Oct-13 20:43:52

YWNBU. I think you were absolutely right to ignore/dismiss the child's requests for food/drink after swimming. (And I totally agee with what Notmadeofrib said!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now