To wonder what my MIL was up to

(77 Posts)
RunningKatie Tue 29-Oct-13 14:24:17

I had a sickness bug last week, couldn't move out of bed/off the sofa for 2 days.

PIL very kindly came up and looked after the DC's one day for me. They took them out (and took 11 month old DS for a macdonalds) and brought them back midafternoon.

They were then playing upstairs in Dd's room, and i could hear MIL going through her chest of drawers and talking to FIL.

AIBU to think this is a bit cheeky? They love going factory shop shopping and are forever buying the DC's things they don't need or that really aren't my taste. We have told them that we have all we need and it doesn't stop them sad

She said nothing to me so i have no idea what she was up to. I am well aware dd's clothes need a sort out as she's had a growth spurt but there was also a stack of stuff to go away as i'd been to busy puking to iron.

It's still annoying me 5 days on.

DIYapprentice Thu 31-Oct-13 09:44:46

Oh now the jumper thing is REALLY annoying....

One of the problems here is that YOU know what your MIL is like, what her facial expression is when she enters the house, whether she does a 'sizing the place up' look around when she walks into rooms, etc.

We don't.

So a MIL who walks in and has no judgmental expressions on her face, makes no judgmental comments at all, could go and pop something in your DD's drawer without you thinking anything untoward.

Yet a MIL who gives a little sniff when she walks into the lounge room, or whose eyes dwells on the breakfast dishes in the sink when in the kitchen, or who gives off 'that' vibe (and I think most people here know exactly what vibe I'm talking about!!!) - well if THEY open a drawer, your mind wanders towards a negative connotation.

ladymariner Thu 31-Oct-13 10:40:43

Somebody drives 200 miles to provide childcare and does your ironing whilst the children nap and they're still in the wrong????? You find it intrusive? Ffs, she can't win, can she.....perhaps she should just stay at home and then you could write about how unhelpful she is and what a rubbish mil you've been saddled with shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now