To think Gordon Ramsey was way out of order?

(124 Posts)
Grennie Tue 29-Oct-13 13:14:58

"Celebrity chef Gordon Ramsay has been bragging about spying on his 15 year-old teenage daughter Megan while she was in her bedroom with her boyfriend, revising.

Obviously viewing it as a laddish joke, Ramsay explained to TV chat host Jonathan Ross that he got his son to put a hidden camera in her room – ostensibly to see if she was revising. “I’ve been a bit naughty over the last couple of weeks because I got Jack a little Go-Pro. One of those little secret cameras.

“So I said to him: ‘Look mate, here’s twenty quid, go and target your big sister’s room and put that camera right at the top left-hand side of the wardrobe.’ “So, Megan, I’d like to talk to you about your revising.” he said.

It’s indicative that the father of four enlisted his only son, who is 13, to take part in this jape – a boy’s joke, lads together, embarrassing their girl and her friend."

http://www.womensviewsonnews.org/2013/10/caring-or-a-control-freak/

natwebb79 Tue 29-Oct-13 18:39:38

Blimey, he's not exactly Frankie Boyle! grin

Grennie Tue 29-Oct-13 18:42:08

Because misogynistic jokes are fine?

natwebb79 Tue 29-Oct-13 18:57:17

I can't get my blood pressure up about it to be honest. Jeeze.

mignonnette Tue 29-Oct-13 19:24:42

Ramsay has been exposed on multiple occasions as a pathological liar.

This is a psychological condition and we should pity him. T

His businesses are doing badly. His repeated (alleged) infidelities have been exposed and discussed by the Media without any successful refuting legal action because as well as being a traitor to his wife, he is too gormless to get away with it. He knows there are so many skeletons in his cupboard that the Day of the Dead festivities would extend to a full year should he ever be in Mexico on the 1st/2nd November.

He has caused estrangement between his wife and her family because of his need to wave his inadequate little willy at other men in a pathetic retrograde and metaphorical manner, a behaviour reciprocated by his FIL. Tara Ramsay is surrounded by deviant, sexually incontinent men. Poor her.

What credibility he had as a chef and chef patron is long gone. David Beckham had the sense to pull out as a backer of his latest restaurant although Ramsay continued to parade Beckham's name for a considerable time afterwards.

He will be handed the 'bill' by his children for his behaviour one day whether this camera tale is true or not because Ramsay is so pathetic and desperate to generate publicity for his new venture that he uses his own children as anecdotal fodder. This is not the first time he has used them for headlines and it will not be the last.

He also parades his parental inadequacies on a show hosted by the pitiful idiot Jonathan Ross who experienced his own fall from grace when he publicly attempted to humiliate Andrew Sachs and Sachs granddaughter.

Ramsay thinks we will find his tale of spying on his daughter amusing, acceptable and understandable. It is not. It is bordering on pathologically disturbed especially if it is true and he filmed her intimate moments with her boyfriend. People get criminal convictions for less. It doesn't matter why he did it.

These men who parade their over protectiveness of daughters as somehow evidence of superior parental love are actually misogynists of the worst kind. Their daughters are their possessions and other men are seen as rivals whether they are a 15 year old boy or an adult male. Ramsay does not see women as fully separate from his own identity as a man, rather more a reflection of his own masculinity, dominance and virility. They are part of his companies assets there to be metaphorically stripped or not as needs must.

It is the same attitude that taken further makes these men want to 'punish' other men who sexually assault their women. Not because the assaulter did a terrible thing but because they have 'taken and used' what is theirs.

This man is repugnant. He should ask himself why he uses the same dysfunctional, sly, deviant approach to communicating w/ his children as he did/does in business. But he won't because he has the same insight and ability to reflect as a lump of washed up sea glass.

mignonnette Tue 29-Oct-13 19:30:52

BTW regarding the ' protest about something really important like Saudi women drivers/Syria/NHS cuts/MH - some of us are truly remarkable in that we can multi task.

We can get het up, protest, criticise and campaign about more than one thing at a time..

Amazing, that wink.

Also Ramsay has a history of making statements that were 'true' and then they become a 'joke' or an off the cuff comment distorted by the nasty unfair media and public.

Check out the allegations of corporate sabotage via false accusations of theft. Ramsay was later exposed as having been the thief himself of restaurant property and of setting up another chef as the thief, even calling in the police.

Check out all the other lies, half truths and hot air. This man is sordid. He is a misogynist.

ForalltheSaints Tue 29-Oct-13 19:38:41

The foul mouthed Rangers reject should be off our screens for good. Come back Delia Smith.

natwebb79 Tue 29-Oct-13 19:40:17

So don't watch Jonathon Ross, don't watch Gordon Ramsay and let Tanya Ramsay, his business contacts and anyone else who has anything to do with him make their own mind up and act accordingly. He's not the bloody messiah! Do you make it your business to get this irate about every individual in the world who's an arse? There really are more pressing issues to concern yourself with. Seriously.

natwebb79 Tue 29-Oct-13 19:43:12

Forallthesaints - I don't know, that Delia can get a bit mouthy. Terrible influence. Yobbish I'd say.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_8JLkwzpd0

grin

mignonnette Tue 29-Oct-13 19:47:27

No I don't. Just some of them.

Can I refer you to my previous post Nat? I am one of those people with the ability to multi task when it comes to the Worlds pressing concerns. I'm not sure whether it is a blessing or a curse grin but I kind of envy your inability to inability to care about/comment/get irate about more than one issue wink.

However using your logic, if my post displeases you shouldn't you merely have ignored it and not commented seeing as you don't make it your business to get irate about everything you see on t'interweb? Clearly you too are unable to simply sail on by something irritating whilst singing gaily under your breath smile

Mimishimi Tue 29-Oct-13 19:55:40

Hmmm. Knowing how I was at 15, I could see myself doing exactly the same thing. The only thing is I'd probably tell DD beforehand that there would be a camera to try and make sure there was no mischief.

natwebb79 Tue 29-Oct-13 19:56:24

Au contraire, I find it fascinating that some people can survive without their head exploding when they get quite so het up about everything. Believe me, I have a reputation among my friends for being very passionate about a LOT of issues (and probably bore the arses off them at times) but seriously, two twatty famous blokes are as twatty as they usually are on telly. One of them with a reputation for acting like an utter twat and saying twatty things makes a particularly twatty joke. His daughter will be old enough in a couple of years to decide that he is an utter twat and doesn't want anything to do with him if that really is the case. On the other hand behind closed doors they may well have a lovely respectful father/daughter relationship and she might not give a flying toss about what he said. Some people just don't CARE about stupid throw away comments that other people lose sleep over. Gordon Ramsay really isn't a major contributor to all that is wrong with the world. I truly believe that. Some people love a bit of controversy. It doesn't mean that they're actually deeply evil. I'm currently addicted to the series 'Dexter'. It's about a psychopathic killer who works for the police in Miami. Should such programmes be made? Is it glorifying murder? Is it making a mockery of mental illness? Like shite is it. It's a programme that I choose to watch as the story is brilliant and it's full of suspense. It doesn't make me a sicko. Just like SOME people like to watch Jonathon Ross/Gordon Ramsay. It doesn't mean they suck up every word they say. They just find it light viewing.

mignonnette Tue 29-Oct-13 20:06:46

You care enough to post on the same thread as me. Kind of invalidates what you say. I do like a bit of variety in my irateness -a bit of celebrity, some heavy duty political stuff, some temper tantrums at economic disparity and a whole load of epic temper about anything affecting people w/ MI in a negative manner.

Believe me, a bit of verbal sparring on here isn't anywhere near triggering my head is about to explode klaxon. This is a bit of fun and me exercising my writing 'muscle' . I am pretty mellow sitting here on my sofa w/ a big green and black Halloween muffin made by DD that looks like Ramsays worst culinary nightmare.
Sounding irate doesn't necessarily mean the poster is irate smile. I can fake it but don't tell that to the Telegraph reporter looking for 'sexy stories' in case I am misinterpreted and splashed across their magazine. smile

Dexter is fantasy. Ramsay is a Fantasist.

RE the major contributor- no he may not be but it all adds up and who can say when we reach the tipping point and who was responsible for it? He is a misogynist and I call him out on it. I could let it go. We all could let it go. History tells us what happens when the small stuff fails to be sweated. Allowing these men to go unchallenged is not a good idea. Presenting an opposing opinion is even if the subject and THE Subject appear trivial.

mignonnette Tue 29-Oct-13 20:07:40

I should not have said 'kind of invalidates what you say'. Apologies for that Nat.

natwebb79 Tue 29-Oct-13 20:19:50

Fair points. I still think he's too pathetic to be dangerous on any level. I think I just don't trust the press to report anything particularly accurate about celebrities I can't get too excited about it. You are, however, highly unreasonable for mentioning a green and black Halloween muffin. I want one now! smile

mignonnette Tue 29-Oct-13 20:53:45

Nat sorry about the muffin faux pas. Where are my manners? (best not answer that grin)

Here is a rather inadequate substitute -cake

WooWooOwl Tue 29-Oct-13 21:05:18

Whether it was a joke or not, you had to be looking really hard to see this as a feminist issue. It isn't.

To the people saying that we should be concerning ourselves with more important issues, I would say this - a chat forum like MN is basically the online equivalent of a huge pub with a very eclectic clientele. In one corner, people are discussing TV, in another, sports. Some people are embroiled in a heated political or ideological debate, whilst others are getting equally heated about who should be voted off Strictly next.

It would be ridiculous to walk into a pub and start criticising some of the patrons for discussing topics you thought were too trivial, and to try to insist that people only discussed the truly serious topics of the day - so why do you come onto a chat forum and get surprised because people aren't all discussing serious topics, and criticise people for not being serious enough.

If mumsnetters only discussed really serious topics on MN, MN would not be the vibrant, fast-paced, buzzing place it is.

So - if you think a particular topic is not worthy of discussion, don't discuss it - start some threads with serious subject matter! and have a ball on them. Just don't be a misery-guts, trying to wet-blanket the discussions you think are too trivial. It is a big, big site, and there is plenty of room for us all. Plenty of room for all sorts of discussions. So don't froth about something you don't think is worthy of discussion - it's not like that thread will stop you having your properly serious thread. Live and let live.

Grennie Tue 29-Oct-13 22:33:07

And it is a feminist issue.

natwebb79 Tue 29-Oct-13 22:42:46

I didn't say that MN should only be for debating important issues. Believe me, I've started a heated discussion about the Ninky Nonk vs the Pinky Ponk before now. What I did say is that I was surprised that anyone could turn a twatty attention seeking celeb chef's shit 'joke' on a crappy chat show into a serious feminist issue. It's things like this that make a joke of feminism and switch people off from the real cause.

"Au contraire, I find it fascinating that some people can survive without their head exploding when they get quite so het up about everything." and "There really are more pressing issues to concern yourself with. Seriously.". That sounded to me like criticism of what people choose to discuss and how they choose to discuss it.

It isn't just you - and it isn't just this thread either. I just don't get why anyone would get het up about what other people choose to discuss - or the vehemence with which they choose to discuss it - on a chat site.

KCumberSandwich Tue 29-Oct-13 22:57:34

i generally like him.

but why the fuck would he want to see what his 15 year old daughterbwas doing, with her boyfriend, in private?

if you want to set boundaries, you tell them to leave the door ajar or if they are supposed to be revising have them in dining room.

don't secretly watch her when she has her inhibitions lowered because ahe thinks she is in her own private space.

i find it disgusting.

natwebb79 Tue 29-Oct-13 23:04:06

Oh jeeze, I really give up. grin

natwebb79 Tue 29-Oct-13 23:05:23

Kcumbersandwich - I think we've ascertained now that he didn't actually do it.

Lilacroses Tue 29-Oct-13 23:17:52

He comes across as a right bloody bully though doesn'the? Regardless of this "joke" I can't stand to watch him on telly, so aggressive and full of himself. Ugh!

It does beg the question, what actually counts as a joke? Why is it funny to say you've spied on your dd with a webcam - who thinks it is funny to say that? Apart from Ramsay, of course. It baffles me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now