To think Gordon Ramsey was way out of order?

(124 Posts)
Grennie Tue 29-Oct-13 13:14:58

"Celebrity chef Gordon Ramsay has been bragging about spying on his 15 year-old teenage daughter Megan while she was in her bedroom with her boyfriend, revising.

Obviously viewing it as a laddish joke, Ramsay explained to TV chat host Jonathan Ross that he got his son to put a hidden camera in her room – ostensibly to see if she was revising. “I’ve been a bit naughty over the last couple of weeks because I got Jack a little Go-Pro. One of those little secret cameras.

“So I said to him: ‘Look mate, here’s twenty quid, go and target your big sister’s room and put that camera right at the top left-hand side of the wardrobe.’ “So, Megan, I’d like to talk to you about your revising.” he said.

It’s indicative that the father of four enlisted his only son, who is 13, to take part in this jape – a boy’s joke, lads together, embarrassing their girl and her friend."

http://www.womensviewsonnews.org/2013/10/caring-or-a-control-freak/

natwebb79 Tue 29-Oct-13 15:21:11

Is it me or are people in this site getting more and more hysterical? It's all getting a bit 'disgusted from Tunbridge Wells' at times. grin

Grennie Tue 29-Oct-13 15:23:27

No. It is just women who believe in basic feminism and think women and girls matter.

NotSuchASmugMarriedNow Tue 29-Oct-13 15:24:28

I'm not hysterical. I just think there is something very wrong with a man who places a hidden camera in his teenage daughters bedroom.

Anyway, if it was a joke, it's a joke.

damejudydench Tue 29-Oct-13 15:24:58

So glad my Dad wasn't like that. What a weirdo. Like him even less (and didn't like him a lot before).

natwebb79 Tue 29-Oct-13 15:28:16

I'm aware of feminism and the rights of girls but Jesus thus is an ironic joke made on a light hearted programme where his daughter was in the audience. You've no idea what their relationship is like - for all you know they could have chatted about it and had a laugh before the show, she may well have been in on it. To call someone you don't know all the sick bastards under the sun because of some shitty goady reporting is pretty hysterical I'd say.

He's still a massive tit.

Grennie Tue 29-Oct-13 15:36:01

When I posted this article, I did not realise it was a joke.

But people still tell you what their attitudes really are through their jokes,

BrianTheMole Tue 29-Oct-13 15:40:07

A joke as in...he didn't do it? Or a joke as in...he did do it, but its a joke so thats ok confused

shrieklesoda Tue 29-Oct-13 15:46:44

tbh I was commenting on Gordon Ramsey in general grin I just think he thrives on portraying himself as pretty unpleasant and it makes me wonder what sort of person he is.

natwebb79 Tue 29-Oct-13 15:49:05

He does come across as a massive tit but I still think this thread is ridiculous grin

angelinajelly Tue 29-Oct-13 15:51:36

If he did actually put a camera in her room, it's not funny, it's disgusting. And will completely backfire as the poor girl will get as far away as she can as soon as she can. If he didn't put it there and just thought it was funny to say he had, well, what a twat.

uncomfortablydumb Tue 29-Oct-13 15:54:58

What UriGHOULer said.

Also, would like to know if it was a made up 'joke' or he actually did it.

TEErickOrTEEreat Tue 29-Oct-13 15:59:54

So did he put a camera in his daughters room or did he not?

NicknameIncomplete Tue 29-Oct-13 16:11:28

What is with people getting their knickers in a twist over nothing lately.

Robin thicke, lady gaga and now gordon ramsey.

I dont see how this has anything to do with female rights. What parent wouldnt like to see what their 15 yr old is getting up to with the partner.

I doubt it was nasty, disgusting or controlling.

natwebb79 Tue 29-Oct-13 16:16:49

A quick Google shows that his spokeswoman has said she thinks he was joking. A female Guardian reporter has, however, written an article on the back of the uproar admitting she actually has put a camera in her teenage daughter's room. So you can turn the pitch forks on her now. Ha!

TEErickOrTEEreat Tue 29-Oct-13 16:19:38

Well, I've always thought he was a dick. This thread just gave me a chance to say so. grin

What parent wouldnt like to see what their 15 yr old is getting up to with the partner.

Watch my teenage child in his bedroom?

No thanks , some things are private.

angelinajelly Tue 29-Oct-13 16:37:43

Nickname, you seriously don't see anything sleazy in surreptitiously watching a teenage girl in her bedroom, when she thinks she is in private? Do you know what teenagers do in their bedrooms? How would you feel?

angelinajelly Tue 29-Oct-13 16:38:19

How would you feel if it was you being WATCHED, I mean. I don't think we wish to know how you'd feel about watching.

natwebb79 Tue 29-Oct-13 16:43:09

It-was-made-up. Now please, surely there are actual things to get wound up about? Helping women in Saudi Arabia with their fight for the right to drive might be be a start, rather than getting your knickers in a twist over something that didn't actually happen. He must be loving how easily some people are reeled in by the wind up. Don't take the bait if you can't stand him! grin

natwebb79 Tue 29-Oct-13 16:44:21

The Saudi comment was I. Response to the emphasis on feminism and women's rights by the way. I haven't gone all random on yo ass.

SomethingOnce Tue 29-Oct-13 16:48:13

So glad it's a joke. I was all, 'But, but... what if he got an eyeful of... an intimate moment? Ewww!'

NicknameIncomplete - do you actually think that spying on one's child is a good way to foster a trusting relationship? I imagine the vast majority of teenagers would be incredibly upset if their parents spied on them whether via secret webcam or hacking their FB account or reading their diary or whatever. Betray their trust that way, and it think there is a bloody good chance they won't trust you again.

So to answer your question, "What parent wouldnt like to see what their 15 yr old is getting up to with the partner." - I hope my sons will feel able to confide in me, when they are having a sexual relationship with a girlfriend, but no, I would NOT want to film them, spy on them, see them. That would be wrong.

cogitosum Tue 29-Oct-13 17:51:47

This reminds me of the thread in fwr about the robbie Williams song and fathers being over protective of daughters. (can't link on phone but similar theme)

Grennie Tue 29-Oct-13 18:35:00

Yes it was a joke. No it was not an acceptable joke. We accept all the time that some jokes are not acceptable. This is one of them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now