To wonder why non-believers send their doc to faith schools

(209 Posts)
Latetothematch Tue 29-Oct-13 10:09:27

Not a thread about a thread but thought whilst reading a thread when reading 'dc goes to a faith school and comes home with questions but we don't believe'.

Why send your child to a school where you do not believe what it is teaching?

Pyjamaramadrama Sun 26-Oct-14 17:26:13

From my point of view.

It was/is the best local school imo, not in terms of ofsted and results. But the size of the school, the facilities, the staff.

The religious teachings aren't any different to that of when I was at a non faith school in the early 90s. We did hymns and morning prayer, nativity and visited church back then, school being completely impartial on religion is a fairly new thing.

The religious teachings aren't what I'd call very 'in your face', and most of it is simply teaching good values. They still learn about other religions and have little celebrations for other festivals but also focus a lot on the importance of the major important Christian festivals such as Easter and Christmas and the history behind these.

It's a lovely school and they although priority is given to children of that faith there were also places left for non faith, so why shouldn't I or anyone take that place if I think it's the best school for my child?

I understand people's annoyance that schools are partly subsidised by the church however why is that any more unfair than somebody paying for private school.

I really don't know why people get so up in arms over faith schools, use them, don't use them. It's up to you.

But most of you will be celebrating Christmas this year, why if you're an atheist? Because of course you will do what makes your family and children happy. Which is why I send my child to that school. He's happy and part of a happy caring school community and he's free to make his own mind up about religion as and when he chooses.

thursday Sun 26-Oct-14 17:13:13

I'm strongly opposed to faith schools and am atheist as the next atheist, but my children go to a c of e school. It's the nearest and nicest school. My friend sent hers to the non-faith one at the other end of town and came home jesusified anyway so I figured what's the point. I still love the school after a few years, they don't over-egg the Christian thing as church attending believers are in the minority, and they cover other religions regularly. I'd have been raging if we hadn't got a place because we aren't Christian. Rag-ing.

Achooblessyou Sun 26-Oct-14 17:04:53

I'm an agnostic verging on atheist but was raised a catholic, and have Christian values. I want my kids to have the same values of respecting others, kindness, taking responsibility for yourself and your actions, not stealing etc etc. I don't think non faith schools give this as much Ime.

Even though I don't believe I don't see a problem in sending them to a Christian school. We tell our kids the tooth fairy and Santa are real when they absolutely aren't.

ElephantsNeverForgive Sun 26-Oct-14 17:04:13

All church schools round here, but undersubscribed so no one cares if you go to church or not.

cingolimama Sun 26-Oct-14 16:48:45

Angel I'm really sorry you didn't get the school of your choice, but you are being unreasonable here. Church schools criteria is regular and fairly long-term attendance at church. If they attend church, they are complying with the rules.

For the record, I'm church-going CofE. But I think it's very wrong to misguided to suggest that we must greet with suspicion anyone who attends church. All are welcome - the doubters, the half-hearted, and yes, atheists too. Have you Angel, never had a doubt, or crisis of faith? I know I have, and yet I've turned up on Sunday and I am welcomed. No one peers into my heart and turns me away because I don't quite make the cut that day. Similarly, parents should not face an inquisition on what they believe.

MrsBloodcurdlingScrEames Sun 26-Oct-14 15:49:29

I don't have a choice. All schools within walking area are Catholic schools bar one which is in special measures as it's failing so badly.

So my atheist children go to Catholic school but don't join in any of the religious stuff and we talk about how silly it is at home but how you have to respect people's beliefs.

Takver Sun 26-Oct-14 15:39:48

I should point out that plenty of us who complain about religious content in school didn't send their dc to a faith school. DD went to a community primary (not a choice really - there's one school in the town and that's all there is!). They still prayed 3 x a day, had 'bible explorer' lessons led by an evangelical group etc etc. The other two community primaries potentially within reach (7 miles & 10 miles away, so an awful lot of driving) are exactly the same. So basically its home educate or put up with religion.

specialsubject Sun 26-Oct-14 15:37:25

all schools in the UK have to have an act of worship, so all are faith schools.

Faith that can't cope with being disagreed with or laughed at isn't very strong.

if you want me, I'll be watching some Dave Allen clips...

skylark2 Sun 26-Oct-14 15:30:47

angelfire, many state schools are faith schools. It's not either/or. Your statistics are nonsense.

skylark2 Sun 26-Oct-14 15:28:09

Where I grew up, there was no choice. I was an adult with a 3 year old kid before I even realised that there were schools that didn't have "C of E" as part of their name and that faith school / non faith school was part of the decision I'd be making for where she went.

My son has school friends who aren't the school's religion. They go there because it's far and away the best academic school available. (There is zero selection on the basis of religion - it's a private school.)

angelfireabbey Sun 26-Oct-14 14:59:28

They go to church every sunday. Why cant some of the atheists take their DC out of faith schools and allow mine a place instead?

Would you all be so offensive if I were muslim or Jewish for example? Would you be so willing to call my God an " imaginary freind then? Think about it.
Fine .... send your DC to a state school and let me have the place in a faith school. Thats what faith schools are there for. There are 10 state schools for every faith one.

Fine, take them to church, that's what Sunday school is for...

angelfireabbey Sun 26-Oct-14 13:33:23

I know this thread is somewhat old but I would like to comment anyway.
My problem is somewhat different to most here. I live in an area with an abundance of non faith schools (although I admit most are not good) and find myself unable to get my DC into a faith school because the only two faith schools are over subscribed by those who have suddently aquired a faith

I attend a church but not the C of E, we believe but cannotget into a school . We have been allocated the local state school instead.

I think it is very hypocritcal and downright devious (and should be illegal really) for parents to suddenly claim a faith to get into these schools.

I have a faith. I have brought my DC up with that faith yet I cannot send my DC to a faith school,whilst I read all sorts of offensive comments about faith here from those who could go to ordinary schools and do not.

Instead my DC have to go to a school where they are laughed at because they believe in "imaginary friends". I find that very offensive frankly. They are taught RE by an atheist who clearly knows less than nothing about real faith. I just thought I wouldlike to put the other side. The next time anyone wants to laugh about imaginary friends or colouring in beardy blokes or DC being told fairy stories. Someof us have a faith and want nothing more than for our DC to be given the chance to hear the Bible stories, to celebrate the nativity, to sing hymns and to be brought up with the pinciples we stand by in our daily lives and are denied that by those who lie and cheat their way intoschools just because they deem them
"good".

Maybe, just maybe, if you snt your precious ones to those other schools, those schools would become good too and those such as myself could just toddle off to the nearby school where imaginary friends and fairly stories are allowed. Just my rant.

AmandaCooper Fri 01-Nov-13 07:35:53

The historical basis of the Christian festivals is not really the point anyway, Emma. There's nothing hypocritical about pretending you believe something to get what you want - that's just lying. Most non Christians enjoying Christmas and Easter with their families aren't even lying, they are just enjoying a community and family festival.

The hypocritical person would be the person who condemns her neighbour for playing the system (perhaps by calling them a hypocrite) while (or subsequently) playing the system in some way herself. Or to put it another way, let she who has never ever played the system cast the first stone.

Pachacuti Thu 31-Oct-13 20:23:29

"My understanding was that the usual criteria for church schools was something like 1. looked after/SEN 2. Churched children 3. Every body else. I would be very surprised if 2. filled up a school nowadays?"

Hahahahaha. Come and live near me. Well, don't, but if you did you'd find that 2 comfortably fills up a whole bunch of schools (although come to think of it, of the three Church schools that we're close enough to to be in with a good chance of a place if not for the churching thing, one of them (the one whose admissions criteria specify that only a certain number of places can be awarded on the basis of churching) did admit ONE pupil into Reception as a "community" (non-church) place last year. And that child lived 50m from the school when we're about 300m.

SuburbanRhonda Thu 31-Oct-13 17:59:28

mrswinklepicker, I bet you wouldn't be saying that if the school was persuading her that her parents had the wrong political views, rather than religious views!

Emmabombemma you called atheists who celebrate christmas hypocrites because you thought christmas was somehow owned by christians.

I'm afraid that the history is christmas is something you can look up. The Pope and the Archbishop of the CofE church will both confirm what I've said. it's not a big mystery.

Perhaps you were educated in a faith school in which case it's not entirely your fault that you didn't know.

MrsWinklepicker Thu 31-Oct-13 11:01:58

DD1 goes to a C of E primary school as we did not get a place at the local community school.

I am a bit hmm at the "Christian" value of the week poster in the school hall and the lunch time and end of day prayer that she recites daily and I nearly fell off my pew the first time I went to Harvest Festival and the whole school made the sign of the cross. I heard her telling another adult recently "Mummy says that some people believe in God and some people don't. Mummy and daddy don't believe in God but they are wrong". smile

But it's a lovely school and she is really happy and that's what matters. At the end of the day, she can and will make up her own mind about religion.

JassyRadlett Thu 31-Oct-13 10:54:40

Hetienne's right - and on the flipside the New Testament itself contains a lot of pointers to the fact that Jesus was born nowhere near December (what the shepherds were doing with the sheep, the timing of the Census, the timing of the conception of John the Baptist and the point Elizabeth has reached in her pregnancy when Mary conceived).

The co-opting of pagan festivals to the Christian calendar was a clever and successful PR job by the early church in its work to convert pagan communities. Christmas wasn't celebrated anywhere until about the fourth century.

hettienne Thu 31-Oct-13 09:59:44

I think there's a fair bit of historical evidence that mid winter festivals were celebrated well before the advent of Christianity tbh.

TheFabulousIdiot Thu 31-Oct-13 09:50:06

I think religion should be removed from all schools apart from Faith schools.

Am quite surprised by the people I know who have suddenly started attending church so their kids get into a certain school. Why do that to a child if you don't believe in God(s) yourself?

Emmabombemma Thu 31-Oct-13 09:47:46

Thanks hettie. Just saying that's back's opinion which she's entitled to. Whatever we believe it is all stories without proof.

hettienne Thu 31-Oct-13 09:23:43

You seemed a bit confused about the origins of Christmas Emma - I don't think Back was upset about anything, just explaining to you.

Emmabombemma Thu 31-Oct-13 09:22:43

Sorry meant to add that was in response to back, not suburban.

Emmabombemma Thu 31-Oct-13 09:20:37

I think from my posts you can see I am not commenting on, or trying to re-write, education policy (other than agreeing that more choice would be ideal). I've expressed my own opinion, as I have every right to do, without people like you getting shitty with me. I have the grace to respect your opinions, you should try the same. Have a lovely day!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now