Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

regarding pumpkins. My children think so.

(89 Posts)
DevilsRoulette Mon 28-Oct-13 21:03:16

I have bought two culinary pumpkins instead of those really huge things.

This way, the kids can do a pumpkin each, and I can make a pie and roast the seeds, because those giant pumpkins don't appear fit for anything.

However, I apparently just don't get it.

I agree. I don't. ok, they are small, but at least nothing's wasted. right?

SPsTombRaidingWithCliff Mon 28-Oct-13 21:04:13

YABU. Huge pumpkins to carve only. You then let them rot and listen to children cry because they don't last forever.

RedHelenB Mon 28-Oct-13 21:04:24

Spoilsport! you need a big pumpkin!

MarlenaGru Mon 28-Oct-13 21:05:13

I usually make soup, pie etc from the large pumpkins. I don't waste food but I do love a giant pumpkin!

Preciousbane Mon 28-Oct-13 21:05:58

I bought two big pumpkins, there is a photo on my profile of one of the ones DS carved, you couldn't do that with a teeny one.

parakeet Mon 28-Oct-13 21:07:38

Huh? Are you planning to eat it after it's been carved, had grubby mitts all over it, dragged around for a couple of days, and generally manhandled?

Oooh you need a huge pumpkin (I am wondering when they're going to reduced the price though)

I love getting my hand in there to pull out the seeds and the stringey bits <<gross>> thlgrin

Strumpetron Mon 28-Oct-13 21:09:40

I think you use the insides parakeet?

DevilsRoulette Mon 28-Oct-13 21:10:24

Can't see your profile, preciousbane.

I had a feeling you lot would side with the kids grin

Can you really use the flesh of the giant pumpkins? I always thought that it was vile.

Strumpetron Mon 28-Oct-13 21:11:35

70isaLimite noooooo thats awful!

I have a phobia (trypophobia) and I literally can't look at the seeds and stringy bits. DP was doing one earlier and I felt sick even though I couldn't see it.... made the mistake of putting something in the bin and all the seeds were on top. Queue me bursting into tears and shaking. Feel like a right gobshite but I can't help it. It's making me feel funny describing it yakkkk. I wish I were like you!

DevilsRoulette Mon 28-Oct-13 21:11:50

grin No.

I scoop it all out, they use the outside and I make stuff with the innards.

ThingsThatMakeYouGoHmmmmmmmmm Mon 28-Oct-13 21:12:42

" Culinary pumpkins " grin

MrsBennetsEldest Mon 28-Oct-13 21:12:45

YABU. Small pumpkins?? How could you do that to them. Poor kids. Someone call SS.

DevilsRoulette Mon 28-Oct-13 21:12:53

xpost, sorry to hear that, strumptron, that can't be very nice for you.

SecretWitch Mon 28-Oct-13 21:13:30

YANBU. I am designated pumpkin gutter in my home. A reasonable sized gourd is what we get. When my children reach gutting and carving age, they can buy a big assed pumpkin and go to town.

Strumpetron Mon 28-Oct-13 21:14:03

Tis only once a year so it's okay, its a shame because I love pumpkins all carved and looking cool!

We now have a Jack The Pumpkin King one sitting on our table, it's dead good.

DevilsRoulette Mon 28-Oct-13 21:14:48

Is that poncy? blush I only called them that cos that's how tesco described them. You had giant pumpkins, large pumpkins and culinary pumpkins.

here

they are yellow rather than bright orange too.

Have I really shortchanged the kids then? grin

I have 2 enormous pumpkins sitting grinning evilly at me, at the moment. Size isn't everything but with pumpkins, it most definitely is. I feed the pumpkins to the chickens when we're done with them, which they love.

Those poor children will be scarred for life wink

SoftSheen Mon 28-Oct-13 21:17:58

Yes, 'culinary' pumpkins are a different variety that are good to eat. Carving pumpkins get really big but aren't great for eating.

Strumpetron Mon 28-Oct-13 21:19:18
AmberLeaf Mon 28-Oct-13 21:23:33

YABU!

Ive cooked with a big orange pumpkins entrails. It went in soup and was lovely.

Orange ones are also easier to carve.

5madthings Mon 28-Oct-13 21:24:03

Just HOW small are they?

I didn't get huge pumpkins this year, ds4's has been made to look like a vampire, we even made it a cape. Its not big but looks cool.

I still have another to carve...

MarlenaGru Mon 28-Oct-13 21:25:12

I carved oranges too one year...

DevilsRoulette Mon 28-Oct-13 21:26:25

They're a reasonable size, about the size of a melon. Not a watermelon, maybe a galia.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now