Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To hassle you until you...

(167 Posts)
PavlovtheCat Sun 27-Oct-13 21:09:15

...sign this ?

I am going to keep posting about it on MN until you have ALL signed it.

Probation will run by SERCO or G4S if you don't get on board. Do you want that? Really? They can't even provide security for the Olympics! And they overcharged YOU tens of millions of pounds, by pretending dead prisoners were still on tag and collecting a fee for them. Or. Sometimes, they simply made the prisoners' names up and then collected a fee for them. That's just for starters.

If these clowns don't run it, some other unaccountable , faceless corporation will be in charge of the monitoring and rehabilitation of offenders. They will hold the safety of YOUR communities in their hands.

So. Sign it. It might even be too late. But we have to try. We simply cannot sit by and let a service which has evolved for over 100 years and is successful in reducing offending across the country be privatised and risk being run by profiteers.

AIBU to expect you to give a shit? Really, you HAVE to give a shit.

Sleepyhead33 Fri 22-Nov-13 23:36:39

Red links posted and signed.

Ruby1080 Fri 22-Nov-13 22:47:28

Bump.

Pavlov, where are you based, if you don't mind me asking? We should be getting our letters next week too, although I'm not holding my breath.

HopeClearwater Fri 22-Nov-13 16:21:16

Did you see Newsnight last night about Serco? Worth a watch.

PavlovtheCat Fri 22-Nov-13 15:36:29

On Monday I get the news of whether I am to be directed to either public/private sector of work, or if I can put in an 'expression of interest', which gives me the pretence of having some choice. The decision is already made that I can see.

I have two choices here. I can either roll over and accept my fate, or I can follow union advice and ignore/dispute it via unions and my fate will probably be the same.

For the very first time, I am realising that whatever happens, my future, the future of the probation service, and of my clients is one and truly fucked. I have been very relaxed about it, using my energy to fight this. Now,the realisation that there will be no future that I know or recognise even if we could stop this or slow it down, has just hit me and I feel rather tearful.

Change is good, I enjoy change, it keeps things alive. Utter destruction of something good and successful in order to keep a misplaced idealogy alive, for what seems to be the sake of it and refusal to accept that this is now really really wrong, is absolutely not good, or ok.

Fucking hell. I cannot believe that the government think this is ok, or right. The are ignoring all the evidence that this will do more harm than good. WTAF?

I keep thinking of the Words from a Frank Turner song. 'If we're stuck on this ship and it's sinking, then We might as well have a parade, cos if it's still gonna hurt in the morning, and a better plans yet to get forming, where's the harm spending an evening, in manning the old barricade?'

PavlovtheCat Wed 20-Nov-13 19:13:07

project it's simpler to do that, as it can be horrific at times, the news. But there is no escaping it here as I will keep bumping into this thread!

Cameron and Failing Grayling might not give a toss and will most like plough on ahead despite many corporations facing a grilling (in fact think it was today, must go check) about their serious failings in delivering public sector contracts, but that does not mean we won't go down without a fight. Albeit a relatively quiet and somewhat censored fight.

Thanks to everyone who keeps bumping and signing smile

PsychoCynic Wed 20-Nov-13 09:12:51

Signed

projectbabyweight Wed 20-Nov-13 07:44:23

Thanks for posting this Pavlov, I might not have known much about it otherwise (ashamed to say I avoid the news when I'm stressed as it makes me anxious).

projectbabyweight Tue 19-Nov-13 21:59:53

Signed

Slainte Tue 19-Nov-13 21:27:22

Signed

PavlovtheCat Tue 19-Nov-13 21:23:33

I stumbled again.

Clumsy me.

Have you seen the most recent g4s attempt to worm its way out of fraud?

Calls it an 'overpayment' rather than 'fraudulent' payment. I also love the way it's been offered as a credit note, like the ones you get stuffed in your wallet and forgotten about for years. Is that what they are hoping here I wonder?

Good that the government has not accepted it, shame they have not yet pulled their contracts...

PavlovtheCat Sat 16-Nov-13 10:27:50

I would love to know how many of the hiheedjuns in those companies are chums of Shiny Dave and his entourage? <<innocent question>>

PavlovtheCat Sat 16-Nov-13 10:19:20

pacific god yes, if we took away the goodwill of staff, that goodwill which never ever gets mentioned when people talk about pay, payrises, pensions etc, the system would collapse. I wish I had the strength to do it. I really do. I don't want to give my time for nothing, I have a family, a mortgage etc that need paying for and I should be paid for my work, but unlike those who bury their heads in the sand and don't give a toss (see below), my moral compass just cannot leave a young vulnerable male on the streets, simply because I have to get on home and it's inconveniencing me.

I will take the time back though now, just don't know when grin

Consider ATOS duly added. So we have a good list of rogue traders here who may well run the probation contracts, and who are shit at what they do don't we?

G4S
Serco
A4E
ATOS
Capita

Have we missed any?

PavlovtheCat Sat 16-Nov-13 10:12:43

ilovesooty we have been promised no redundancies while we are still in public sector. I have complete faith they will stick with that promise wink like them saying we will lose our money from industrial action in our January pay, and then telling us it's now going to be from our December pay. Hmm.

I do think they will keep to that promise of no redundancies. because it will cost them a fortune to get rid of those who have worked in the service for 20 years (I have been there 12 years, it would not be a fortune to me, but it would be better than what the future likely holds). Best to wait until serco et al have the contract, then once all our rights have been moved across, and our protection stops, THEN they can fire us, for much less money. I expect a little of both is going to happen, some redundancies, some significant changes of contract.

I can't imagine that once you get hooked on Jordan's new boyfriend/baby/book saga you will be able to pull out of that very easily to check out the real world. That's why I avoid them, I just know they will be so riveting I will lose sight of my boring life and be emmersed in glossy mags forever. So no, I don't think those people will now suddenly change their minds and give a flying fuck.

Could we add Atos to the list too please?

Re working to rule or rather not (Pavlov thanks) - the whole NHS is propped up by its staff's good will. Which is rapidly being undermined and lost sad.
'Tis the same principle. Jobs for the Boys.
angry

ilovesooty Sat 16-Nov-13 09:55:37

That's assuming you and your colleagues
even keep your jobs Pavlov

I'm wondering if some of the ignorant people here who don't follow the news have managed to pull themselves out of the soaps and celebrity gossip to inform themselves. Not holding my breath.

PavlovtheCat Sat 16-Nov-13 09:50:28

My new boots cause me to stumble into things you know. This thread in particular grin

I am attempting to work to rule, in the hope the government will see how much they get for free at the moment, but I am not very good at it blush I stayed late yesterday, when I should have worked in the morning only, 'went the extra mile' as a manager put it, and ensured that someone that was going to be sleeping on a park bench, suffering from mental health issues, with hardly any money, having spent a long time in prison, was placed in emergency housing, using a little know route, when every single option appeared to be exhausted. On a Friday evening, that was a tall order. But I refused to go home to my comfy house with my family until I had him somewhere safe. And I bloody did it, and I have reduced his risk of re-offending from high to medium (probably actually low based on my opinion but not on statistics). But not by working to rule.

Can't imagine that I will be doing that when working for £10k less for Serco et all, this time next year. I would have sent him away with nothing but the clothes he stood up in. In fact, no, I wouldn't. I couldn't. But, then I won't be working for £10k less, someone who would be prepared to let them sleep on a bench, in November, they will be working in my place.

nevergoogle Fri 15-Nov-13 21:44:12

You are so clumsy, you should get that looked at.

Ooops!
wink

PavlovtheCat Thu 14-Nov-13 20:26:57

Keep reading, and learning and signing ...

Signed

PavlovtheCat Wed 13-Nov-13 22:02:38

go on read it all. It's really interesting honest wink grin

PavlovtheCat Wed 13-Nov-13 20:45:14
CuthbertDibble Wed 13-Nov-13 20:42:38

Signed

PavlovtheCat Wed 13-Nov-13 20:42:37

G4S staff being prosecuted for alleged fraud after direction from a judge.

it just keeps going on and on...

and G4S are about to have their immigration detention centre responsibility increased.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now